PDA

View Full Version : Locate -> tempo?

AudioAstronomer
12-30-2005, 09:28 AM
Perhaps a feature that would take the position of selected locate points and determine the closest tempo?

Really valuable for video-based overdubs and composition.. as well as determining and creating tempo maps

Bob L
12-30-2005, 09:35 AM
You can create a mark between any two locate points already by clicking to the first one, then Alt-clicking the second.... of course you can also simply use the B and E key at each point... then, use the SS MT Timeline menu and the Set Tempo to Marked Measures command... of course tempo must reference distance as some number of measures... so your locate points are only useful if they are on measure boundaries for the calculation.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
12-30-2005, 09:41 AM
You can create a mark between any two locate points already by clicking to the first one, then Alt-clicking the second.... of course you can also simply use the B and E key at each point... then, use the SS MT Timeline menu and the Set Tempo to Marked Measures command... of course tempo must reference distance as some number of measures... so your locate points are only useful if they are on measure boundaries for the calculation.

Bob L

Well, the point is it would take more than 2 points for the calculation. Find closest to the nearest quarter or eigth etc...

Bob L
12-30-2005, 09:54 AM
I do it all the time between two points that I pick from kick transients or some other downbeat reference... I pick two kicks a few measures apart and use the command option to get the base tempo... then I go down the line to build a tempo map where the track tempo starts to drift.

Code that does beat detection can be very complex depending on the music source... I think you can do a better job by setting the points on your own...

I guess if that's what you mean... set the locate points along the timeline, and then use an option to auto-calculate at those points and build a tempo map... well OK... although as you set the points, its probably abou the same if you use the calculation option each time you set the next point along the way.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
12-30-2005, 10:17 AM
Well generally im doing electronic scores for video in this instance. So I have specific points where musical cues must occur in time with a final video edit.

Going through and setting locate points is something I already have to do, being able to map to that or determine a "fuzzy tempo" would help a ton.

I could imagine it would help in a lot of other instances as well where any tempo determination or mapping would occur. I thought (uh oohh) it would be a very simple function to include :o

Bob L
12-30-2005, 10:19 AM
How do you propose the code would work... on what would it base its tempo calculations if you do not tell it the measures between locate points with which to build a tempo map?

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
12-30-2005, 10:22 AM
I would think it'd work of the closest tempo to the current tempo based on a specific sub-division.

I thought about it on a whim while wasting the last few hours figuring out the best way to deal with this score (electronica for sports video).. i didnt think out the algorithm or formula exactly yet. Still working on this project so I have time to return some calls before the days over :)

MMP
12-30-2005, 10:53 AM
Showing my age here.....

There was a program Hitman that interfaced as a module to Dr T's KCS Atari sequencer that had a cool feature. You would mark important hit points, and it would calculate a number of bpms that would hit the majority of the selected points. IIRC, it would create a table showing the beat/tick so you could quickly see how close the beats lined up to your hit points.

Basically it was kind of a spreadsheet/statistics program that weighted hit points to downbeats.

Very slick for the day.

Regards,

MM

Arco
12-31-2005, 07:51 AM
I'm pretty sure this feature is available in..maybe Performer? You mark the hits and the program comes up with a proposed tempo map that would accommodate the hits.

I've come to find that I can just sing or tap a proposed tempo along with the video track, find a tempo, and then just fine tune with small ritards or accels if I need a strong moment where music and picture coincide.

..still, would be a cool thing. Maybe a plugin?

MMP
12-31-2005, 08:18 AM
Yeah,

I was working on a theme for a PBS affiliate's history series yesterday, and just looped the video for a while and found a working tempo organically.

Its amazing what the brain can accomplish in the background.

Regards,

MM

AudioAstronomer
12-31-2005, 08:23 AM
I've just been doing the tap-tempo to get it done but it's a bit of a pain at times because there are very precise moments where seamless musical cues must occur, meh. Enough whining :) This is why I hate video work :mad:

At least a shortcut for opening the tempo dialogue(s) rather than having to plow through the (ugh) menus?

Bob L
12-31-2005, 03:54 PM
Its pretty powerful to use the Measure Mapping tool to create perfect tempo maps... you can start by a simple tap time... then use the Measure Map in the MWS to stretch and shrink the tap time beats to exact hit points in the video... the results will be a perfect tempo map smoothly following whatever you decided and precisely hitting the video frames where you decided.

You would never have to type a tempo number in anywhere, or worry about it.

Bob L

studio-c
01-02-2006, 11:00 AM
Back when I was doing jingles, the arranger had a cool stopwatch sorta thing. You would hit start, count 7 beats, hit "stop" on the 7th beat. It would read out the tempo in BPM. I have no idea why it was 7.

This has got to be out there somewhere as a simple standalone app, doesn't it? It could just live on the desktop or something? Just hit the space bar for two measures of quarter notes and it tells you the tempo?

How 'bout it, you programming guys? :)

This just in: Copied and pasted from Google. It's available for PalmPilots...

..:: palm | spot ::.. - Explore More Software!A complete directory of software downloads, news, accessories, ... Real time tempo measuring (Yes! You press repeatedly the page up hw button and it tells ...
www.palmspot.com/software/detail/ps3289a_98222.html - 29k -

studio-c
01-02-2006, 11:09 AM
there are very precise moments where seamless musical cues must occur, meh. Enough whining :) This is why I hate video work :mad:

OT:

Anyone heard the Erasure version of Peter Gabriel's Solsbury Hill?
It's in friggin' 4/4! So much of the beauty of that song is the odd meter that keeps you "un-anchored" psychologically. I just wonder if the 4/4 was because it's easier to sequence. Anyway, I think they missed the whole point and it just felt like a lazy way to do a cover tune. :mad:
:)

PieterS
01-02-2006, 03:11 PM
The next update of the Sonoris PitchTime plugin will have tempo detection. With this feature you can see the tempo (BPM) in realtime.

best regards and a happy New Year!

Pieter Stenekes

mghtx
01-02-2006, 03:25 PM
Anyone heard the Erasure version of Peter Gabriel's Solsbury Hill?
It's in friggin' 4/4!

I can't stand that kind of stuff. There's NOTHING original about it. And it requires NO talent IMO. Anybody with a computer could do it.

The next update of the Sonoris PitchTime plugin will have tempo detection.

Pieter, thanks for your hard work on this stuff for us to use.

Carlos Mills
01-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Hi Pieter,

The next update of the Sonoris PitchTime plugin will have tempo detection. With this feature you can see the tempo (BPM) in realtime.

best regards and a happy New Year!

Pieter Stenekes

This is a very nice addition! By the way, your PitchTime plugin was already used a number of times. A happy New Year for you in Holland!

All the best,