PDA

View Full Version : VST Instuments

Microstudio
12-31-2005, 01:27 PM
I want to play some softsyths in SS and record them, I am new to this Softsyth stuff. I bought the CS80 SoftSynth and installed it but I do not see it anywhere in SS?

In Nuendo I just go to VST Instruments and select it. I don't want to use Nuendo as I love my SS and I want to keep and do everything in it.

Please help.

Sam C
12-31-2005, 01:50 PM
You will need to copy that .dll file to SAW Studio VST Plug Ins.

Arco
12-31-2005, 01:52 PM
You'll need to get MIDI Workshop to get a VSTi up and working ideally in the SAW enivironment.

Basically you load it as Pre-Fader Effect (check your FX Choices to see the VSTi you're looking for)...you may be able to drive the VSTi using a keyboard without MWS but that means you have to play live always..the other way would be to use another sequencer..easier to have MWS working right in the SAW "world". The out put from the VSTi can be captured in real time or even faster if you "build mix" to "current track."

Here's the lowdown from the MWS Help file:

SAWStudio and the Midi WorkShop support the VST SoftSynth technology protocol. You may patch in a VST Synth plug-in on a SAWStudio track and link it to the Midi WorkShop as its source for MIDI data.

8 Open the VST Synth plug-in window and [Left-Click] on the Blue Pyramid logo at the top of the VST plug-in client area. Select the Set SoftSynth Midi In Port option from the popup menu. Choose one of the Midi WorkShop Virtual Port links. Now in the Midi WorkShop, assign a track to a port that has been set to the same Virtual Port setting. The sound will only be generated while the engine is running. Therefore, you must engage Live Mode, MultiTrack playback, Record Ready, Record, or SRP Record to get the engine in a running state. When the playback engine is in motion, the VST SoftSynth plug-in will act as any other hardware MIDI box and generate sounds when triggered from the MIDI track data or from a controller keyboard passing data with the MIDI Thru active.

Playback of pre-recorded data will have no latency issues to consider as the buffers are prepared in advance and remain in perfect sync with the rest of the data. When attempting to play live thru the plug-in during recording or playback operation, the amount of latency is adjusted by the SAWStudio Audio Buffer settings in the Audio Device Setup options. Adjusting the buffers to 4 at 256 or less should bring the latency close enough to real-time to allow a good musical performance. If your machine can handle 2 at 128 or less you will be in great shape.

You can lighten the cpu load during live VST Synth recording to allow the buffer settings to be reduced by selecting and playing only a few audio tracks with guide tracks on the Midi WorkShop. You can also consider building a rough mix of a complex session down to one stereo track to use while you overdub, as this can open up many creative opportunities for you.

VST Synth Scrubbing

7 Pressing the [L] key or [Right-Clicking] the Transport Play button will activate SAWStudio's Live Input Mode. The cursor will change shape giving visual feedback when Live Input Mode is active. VST Synths may now be scrubbed while Live Input Mode is active. [Right-Clicking] or pressing the [L] key again, or [SpaceBar], or Stop button will exit Live Input Mode. Editing features and certain positioning features will be disabled in Live Input Mode.

Microstudio
12-31-2005, 01:53 PM
You will need to copy that .dll file to SAW Studio VST Plug Ins.

I am sorry...what .dll file?

Plus I do not know where the VST plug-ins in SS are ?

I have only done recording with hardware based stuff, this is all new to me...sorry.

jazzboxmaker
12-31-2005, 03:08 PM
You can try to copy the .dll file of your vsti into saw studio's "Vst_Plugins" directory ( ie. C:\Program Files\Saw Studio\Vst_Plugins) .Check the directory where you installed your vsti for the file name. If there are needed support files copy all of them. Alternately, you can install all of your vst's & vsti's to Saw's plugin directory- make sure they don't install themselves in a sub-directory or Saw won't find them.
Good Luck
Vinny

Hey- Happy New Year!

Microstudio
12-31-2005, 03:24 PM
Ok I did what you said and now I see The CS80 in my FX Choices, if I add it, it opens up but when I play my keyboard I don't get any sound?

I have my midi IN/OUT selected in setup.

Man this is frustrating me!

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Bob L
12-31-2005, 03:37 PM
Once you have a synth patched in... it will only make sound when it is triggered by a live midi connection or by the virtual port connection from the Midi WorkShop... and when the SAWStudio engine is running.

Nuendo and most other host programs leave the audio engine always running in the background... not a design concept I am happy with... SAWStudio only runs the audio engine when you press Play, Record, or enter Live Mode... this allows for much more efficiency in the editing environoment and also allows the drivers to be available for other utilities while SS is sitting idle.

After patching the synth... you can connect your Midi Keyboard to the synth directly by clicking on the VST window Blue Pyramid Options icon at the top of the window... select the "Set SoftSynth Midi In Port" option... assign your midi port to where your midi keyboard is connected... then start the engine by activating Live Mode (from the Mixer Menu or press the L key from inside any Mixer view) oe press Play... or Record or SRP... play your keyboard... you can then record live performances directly.

If you want to record the performance as Midi data, you will need the Midi WorkShop add-on.

Bob L

Microstudio
12-31-2005, 03:57 PM
I did just what you said, I also printed out the VST help pages and followed them, I installed the synth program into my SS/ VST file too. I still get nothing, no sound?

HELP...what am I doing wrong?

Microstudio
12-31-2005, 04:16 PM
Ok I got it to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

It was that .dll that was not in the VST folder, it was in the VST/CS80 folder.

Anyway........Thanks for everything and I must say that The CS80 Softsynth is the bomb, it's like I am back in the 70's listening to some ELO, Pink Floyd....crazy, it's crazy....SOFTWARE that is.

Matt.

Sam C
12-31-2005, 05:04 PM
Excellent!!