PDA

View Full Version : Adding a file to a project during playback

MikeDee
01-02-2006, 12:27 AM
Hi, Bob -

Happy New Year! Will it be possible in 4.× to add a .wav file to a project [.edl] on the fly and drop it into the MT [as a Region] during playback? Or, at the very least, if I have a number of files ==> MT Regions already in my project, will I be able to move any of 'em around during playback?

I'd like to incorporate SAWStudio into my live act. In order to attain maXimum benefit, I'd like to be able to work with SS "sorta DJ style." There are a number of times during a gig when a tune is playing that I need to jump to a particular (however random) tune on the fly...non-stop, from one tune right into the next (even if not beatmapped or crossfaded).

I can accomplish this with ACID Pro 5× by double-clicking a file from its Explorer window and drawing it in the newly added track wherever I like during playback...Regions can be moved/edited during playback as well. However, ACID sounds nowhere near as good as SS does; therefore, it would be great if this (or similar) functionality were available in SS.

I am hopeful that the design of the 4.× engine (or a near future design) will allow for this. Perhaps adding tons of tracks to a project during playback might not be feasible; however, adding one stereo file to one MT track [Region] while one or more stereo tracks are playing might be so.

I appreciate your thoughts on this WishList item. TIA!

Best personal regards,

Bob L
01-02-2006, 01:11 AM
At the moment, modifying the editlist during playback is not something that is part of the design plan... it woulod require a complete internal redesign for the way data is stored and accessed and I'm not really excited about modifying an already stable and hi performance engine to that degree.

Bob L

Arco
01-02-2006, 08:01 AM
You could have all 6 Library windows open with 6 different directories full of files showing. Right click to stop the EDL from playing and R-click on the file in one of the library windows to play that file.

I think, in general, SAW studio is too much program for your needs, like a swiss-army knife to spread butter on toast. But you could set up a MT with a basic layout of tunes you think you might want to hear. Set the playback NOT to rewind and then have all the Library windows open so you can 'improvise' during the show--inserting other tunes as you feel.

The main problem other than the program just isn't designed for this job, is that there will be silence in between moves from one Library choice to the next. Not much, but some..

Angie
01-02-2006, 08:27 AM
Mike,

Control track.

It takes some fore thought. But it works great for something like this.

Once you have all set, simply click on the song's Q marker in the control track window and it plays on the fly. Set stop Qs at the end of songs will keep them rolling into the next song.

I set up the music for our wedding this way. Worked great.

Why hire a DJ when you'd been one for 11 years and still have the library. :)

studio-c
01-02-2006, 09:54 AM
I'm not really excited about modifying an already stable and hi performance engine to that degree.
Bob L
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo.
Step AWAY from the engine.

I can handle stopping to insert a region. :)

Scott

P.S. Mike, I just now read your initial post. There are a lot of programs out there that will do this, Acid being one. I do live gigs with two iPods (loaded with identical songs) and can loop a song all night, or crossfade and such (with a little Mackie mixer). There are DJ PC programs that can play songs from big buttons (I always smile at the big buttons, figuring they're for Morning Radio guys to make cymbal crashes and fart sound effects. "Make it big and dumb, Bob." But I digress...)
Really though, could you import your songs into ACID? That could be kinda cool. It's fine to have lots of tools in the toolbox.

AudioAstronomer
01-02-2006, 11:18 AM
You could setup a massive project with the majority of your files and use the control track to hop around.. but still some pauses..

Or you could open two instances of saw, one is always playing and one is not. In Saw A set a midi note to stop, in Saw B set the same one to start. Then in non-playing saw you could setup as you need and perhaps switch with a single key...

It's an idea, not sure how (if) it would work :)

Bob L
01-02-2006, 12:10 PM
Multiple SAW versions running on one machine works well for live performances...

You could also use LoopaZoid with all the buttons linked to full length songs... they can all be set to the same Mute groups if you want the one playing to stop when you start another... otherwise, it becomes an easy way to simply start the next song of choice at the end of the one playing and the two will overlap slightly... you can set 48 songs in one LoopaZoid...leave SS in Live mode... play any of the 48 songs by simply clicking the button or by using a midi keyboard... you can patch multiple LoopaZoids for more than 48 songs.

LoopaZoid is free at www.LoopaZoid.com (http://www.LoopaZoid.com)

Bob L

mako
01-02-2006, 02:40 PM
TPlayer - a free DJ Player is at http://pages.infinit.net/tplayer/

Perhaps will do what you require.

mako

MikeDee
01-02-2006, 04:47 PM
Hey, thanx for the replies, all. Very cool...I didn't expect such a turnout! :cool:

I will look into both the Control Track idea, as well as multiple instances of SAWStudio running. Perhaps my answer lies in one or both of these neighborhoods.

As I had mentioned previously, I have Acid Pro 5x. I am able to accomplish the task at hand in Acid. I could get hold of a DJ app as well, if need be. However, I was looking to avoid using any of these apps because they simply do not sound as good as SS does...which is why I was interested in learning whether SS is (or will be) designed to work in this fashion.

Per Bob's reply, I understand that SS is not designed as such...and that's perfectly OK with me...I just needed to know for sure. Yes, I agree...step away from the engine! :) For a lousy couple o' sequenced dance sets, I certainly wouldn't expect Bob to turn SS, a beautifully well-oiled machine, into a one-stop-chop-shop app...no way! So...if the Control Track and multiple instances don't pan out, I'll simply stick with Acid for this and similar tasks...besides, the way most dance music's dynamic range is squished, then its level maxed to the hilt, I guess it won't matter how silky SS's sound is. Also...and most importantly...since this a live situation, my primary focus is on live playing...the sequencing is secondary.

Best regards to All,

dhise
01-04-2006, 06:19 AM
Maybe xtal can do what you want? It's sort of a dj style vsti and it works fine in the limited time I've spent playing with it in SAW. It's free too!

http://www.irdbisa.com/gunshopsoft/xtal/index.htm

-Doug

Angie
01-04-2006, 10:28 AM
Maybe xtal can do what you want? It's sort of a dj style vsti and it works fine in the limited time I've spent playing with it in SAW. It's free too!

http://www.irdbisa.com/gunshopsoft/xtal/index.htm

-Doug

xtal does have some problems. Did it actually play a full song for you? My experience was that it stopped before getting to the end of the wav file.

The Tplayer is cool!

dhise
01-04-2006, 07:56 PM
Xtal works fine here with both wav and mp3's. It would be really cool if it had a playlist feature though.

xtal does have some problems. Did it actually play a full song for you? My experience was that it stopped before getting to the end of the wav file.

The Tplayer is cool!

MikeDee
01-05-2006, 12:02 AM
The Tplayer is cool!

Yea, Angie, it is! :) I tried it for a goof...it's pretty cool. I haven't yet figured out the keyboard equivalents for Play/Stop/Pause, though. Any idea?

Best regards,

MikeDee
01-05-2006, 06:44 AM
Mike,

For all of your editing needs, Saw Studio is the way to go.

When you need to do your live DJ stuff the way you've described, try drs2006.com. This has all of the stuff you need to do a morning show, a live DJ set with a Virtual Cart Machine with 30 slots, etc.

But, for editing your music, or SFX, or inserts, Saw can't be beat.

Thanks for the URL, Stashu. DRS2006 looks good...I think it can do the job for me in a straight-ahead live situation.

And, yep, you're right...SAWStudio is the only way I do editing and mixing.

Best regards,

MikeDee
01-05-2006, 06:47 AM
TPlayer - a free DJ Player is at http://pages.infinit.net/tplayer/

Perhaps will do what you require.

mako

Almost forgot to thank you, too, mako. Good call. :)

Best regards,

Angie
01-05-2006, 08:38 AM
Yea, Angie, it is! :) I tried it for a goof...it's pretty cool. I haven't yet figured out the keyboard equivalents for Play/Stop/Pause, though. Any idea?

Best regards,

Are there any? You may want to ask on the developer's forum.

MikeDee
01-05-2006, 02:57 PM
Done deal...I posted to TPlayer's forum.

I asked for the following in the next version:

1. That keyboard equivalents for Play, Pause, and Stop be added; and
2. Whether TPlayer could be converted to a VSTi or DXi.

Now to sit back and wait...can't expect Bob-like service when the price is free, y'know. :D

Regards,

Angie
01-05-2006, 03:29 PM
Now to sit back and wait...can't expect Bob-like service when the price is free, y'know. :D

Regards,

You might be waiting for a while judging by some of the posts. It looked to me that a new version hasn't come out for some time.

I'm having some "not responding" problems with it now. Nothing has changed on my end. It worked well when I first started playing with it.