PDA

View Full Version : Aux Send Pan

PieterS
01-05-2006, 02:01 AM
Bob,

Maybe it is asked before, but is there a way to match the Aux Send Pan setting exactly to the Channel Pan?

Pieter Stenekes

antiClick
01-05-2006, 02:44 AM
I seccond this

Bob,

Maybe it is asked before, but is there a way to match the Aux Send Pan setting exactly to the Channel Pan?

Pieter Stenekes

Bob L
01-05-2006, 09:57 AM
No... but its something I can look at for 4.0... a specil modifier key when you click the aux pan to duplicate the main pan setting.

Bob L

Sean McCoy
01-05-2006, 03:34 PM
A pre-post option for the aux pan separate from the send would also be nice. As it is, when a channel is hard panned and aux is post, the effects sends are also hard panned, which will frequently mess up the balance of that signal in the effect. Possible?

Bob L
01-06-2006, 12:48 AM
I don't know... patching post is supposed to follow what is post of the fader and pan, in my way of thinking...

If a signal is panned left, you would only want to send that signal into the left side of an effect that follows... unless you are desiring a cross effect.... which should then be a special setting in the plugin... like my cross delay echo mode.

Bob L

Cary B. Cornett
01-06-2006, 06:51 AM
I don't know... patching post is supposed to follow what is post of the fader and pan, in my way of thinking...

If a signal is panned left, you would only want to send that signal into the left side of an effect that follows... unless you are desiring a cross effect.... which should then be a special setting in the plugin... like my cross delay echo mode.

Bob L

I thought that's what the "Swap L/R" button in the Return track was for. I have used it that way for when I want the reverb return to be from opposite where the source track was panned.

BTW, the old Lexicon 200 reverb did this channel reversal of return by default, on the assumption that that was what was usually wanted.

Sean McCoy
01-06-2006, 09:24 AM

Bob L
I just verified on my D8B console that setting the send levels to post fader does not also set them to post-pan. The stereo sends have independent panners. It was also this way on my old Amek Angela.

The problem mainly arises when I'm sending multi-channel signals from Studio out to my console for mixing on individual faders (which I do if I'm using a lot of outboard gear), requiring each mono channel to be hard-panned to send it out to one side of the stereo output to a single fader on the board. If then, by chance, I'm also sending to effects in Studio, and happen to need them to be post-fader, the entire signal is sent to one side of those effects---even if I have that particular track centered in the main mix.

But this can also be a problem when mixing in the box. Say if I have an acoustic rhythm guitar's dry signal panned to 9:00 and have the sends set to post-fader, I cannot send its signal into a general stereo room reverb plugin without its wet signal also shifting heavily left (this, of course, depends somewhat on how the reverb plugin handles the incoming signal). I guess this is what you might call a cross-effect, but I'd think of it as more of a general stereo wash. This can be worked around by placing a copy on another channel for send purposes only, but I would prefer it if the connection between post-fader send and post-fader pan were optional.

Bob L
01-06-2006, 10:33 AM
Well, I would guess in your example of hard panned independent signals, you would want to keep any effects of those signals independent also.

I love the way the routing works at the moment... but there is an option coming up in 4.0 that would allow you do decide which side of the signal is passed thru plugins... so that would allow you to do what you want if you select that option.

Bob L

Sean McCoy
01-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Great! Sounds perfect. Thanks, Bob.

olzzon
01-07-2006, 03:07 AM
I like that saw automaticly pans the aux sends to follow the pan. Cause this is what i use 80% of the time.

When the aux is pre it works great for monitor mix, so that they are not affected by solo modes etc.

But i do mis an easy way to pan the aux, when it´s post.