PDA

View Full Version : Latency compensatedplugs with low buffers

olzzon
01-10-2006, 10:55 AM
I have optimized my system now, and can run a 32 track mix with LOTS of plugs and a cpu load of 90%. At 1x48 buffer on my Rme Fireface running ASIO.
Try that in any other DAW.

An interested thing i discovered was, that Plugins with High latency, makes clicks in the sound.
If i run a VoxengoImpulse with a 128 buffer, it runs fine at a 1x48 setting
If i run a VoxengoImpulse with a 8192 buffer i have to go up to a 2x256 before the clicks dissapear.

I have the same problems with the Levelizer limiter, and the sonoris MB compressor.

My problem is that i can´t make the fireface to run with mme drivers, otherwise i could just change the buffer settings in SAW, but to set the FireFace Asio drivers i need to quit SAW.

So my problems is not that these plugins introduce latency, but that i can´t change the Driver buffers without quitting the program.

Or that latency compensated plugins with high latency don´t run well with low buffer settings.

Does anyone has a solution to that.

Bob L
01-11-2006, 01:33 AM
Plugins that absorb more samples than the total latency setting may cause a problem in some cases in the MT loop preload...

Bob L

olzzon
01-11-2006, 11:39 AM
Plugins that absorb more samples than the total latency setting may cause a problem in some cases in the MT loop preload...

Bob L

Yes, that´s also what i guessed it would be, and i think it´s fine that way, if it makes the engine for effextive.
How much latency does your limiter introduce?

Have anyone got the MME driver to work with the FireFace, i would really like to use them instead of the asio driver.

Bob L
01-11-2006, 12:15 PM
I have just made some engine changes to auto-compensate for VST Plugin latency as reported back by the plugins... it gets tricky... but looks ok.

I will be releasing a quick update as 3.9j with a few other VST enhnacements and also a few bug fixes... this will help fill the gap while waiting for the big 4.0.

Bob L

Sean McCoy
01-11-2006, 12:32 PM
I have just made some engine changes to auto-compensate for VST Plugin latency as reported back by the plugins... it gets tricky... but looks ok.
I'm about to get a new system and am strongly considering including a UAD-1 card, but life's too short to have to deal with latency issues. Are you saying that Studio will be able to auto-compensate with the UAD VST plugs?

That would be very cool.

olzzon
01-11-2006, 12:38 PM

I will be releasing a quick update as 3.9j with a few other VST enhnacements and also a few bug fixes... this will help fill the gap while waiting for the big 4.0.

Bob L

Yuippheay, Christmas is back.

Thanks Bob.

:):):):D:D:D

Bob L
01-12-2006, 12:38 AM
If the plugs report their latency in the way my test plugins do, then all should be well.

Bob L

Carl G.
01-12-2006, 07:49 PM
If the plugs report their latency in the way my test plugins do, then all should be well.

Bob L
Very exciting!

Dave Labrecque
01-12-2006, 08:09 PM

Bob L

Wow! This sounds very exciting! :D This will be good news to UAD-1 users who are losing their DX support from UA. Great work, Bob! :)

MMP
01-13-2006, 04:31 AM
Excellent news!

Thanks!

Regards,

MM

Jay Q
01-13-2006, 05:37 AM

Bob LWow! Surprised. Impressed. Awesome! :cool:

Jay

Tim Miskimon
01-13-2006, 10:15 AM
I guess I'll wait to see if it works out okay before I upgrade my UAD 1 software. Please keep us posted Bob.
Thanks!

Dave Labrecque
01-13-2006, 10:27 AM
I guess I'll wait to see if it works out okay before I upgrade my UAD 1 software. Please keep us posted Bob.
Thanks!

Tim,

Feel free to test it yourself on your current array of UAD-1 VST plugs. If they're not installed, you can install them from the same update as your DX versions. But I'm sure you know all this.:)

Tim Miskimon
01-13-2006, 11:29 AM
Tim,

Feel free to test it yourself on your current array of UAD-1 VST plugs. If they're not installed, you can install them from the same update as your DX versions. But I'm sure you know all this.:)

Thanks for reminding me Dave. I forgot they came on the same disk.
Best regards,
Tim

Dave Labrecque
01-13-2006, 05:32 PM
Thanks for reminding me Dave. I forgot they came on the same disk.
Best regards,
Tim

Disk? Someone tell Tim about the wonders of DSL and the Internet. Tim, you can start by sending an inquiry here: al@algore.com :p

But, seriously... (I crack myself up) :D

Tim Miskimon
01-14-2006, 10:03 AM
Disk? Someone tell Tim about the wonders of DSL and the Internet. Tim, you can start by sending an inquiry here: al@algore.com :p

But, seriously... (I crack myself up) :D

Hi Dave,
I use DSL to down load on my home machine then I put it on disk and take it to the studio to load on my music machine that I dare not connect to the evils of the internet....;)
Best regards....

Dave Labrecque
01-16-2006, 10:56 AM
Hi Dave,
I use DSL to down load on my home machine then I put it on disk and take it to the studio to load on my music machine that I dare not connect to the evils of the internet....;)
Best regards....

Sounds like a good idea. I figured there was a reason for your diction. Just givin' you trouble for no good reason. :)