PDA

View Full Version : Moving Control Track Entries

Cary B. Cornett
01-10-2006, 02:17 PM
I did a mix of an entire live show in SSL, and am now setting up to make CD's. I have the mix of the entire show laid out on a track, and have control track entries of all the cue points. Starting from there, I created two sessions, one for each CD, and for the second session I have to slide the whole thing forward and then move all of my cue points.

The problem is that I cannot figure out how to move control track entries. Either I am failing to understand the instructions in the help file, or that feature simply does not work.

So... how do I move Control Track entries to new locations in the timeline???

olzzon
01-10-2006, 02:31 PM
If you mark an area with B and E
And then use Shift-Left mouse you can slip track the selected track, just remember to include the control track, and it doensn´t do that if you use the group select all function.

Dave Labrecque
01-10-2006, 04:40 PM
Backspace and ctrl-backspace work, too. But not shift-backspace. Interesting... Bob? Hey, be careful with CSG. Not sure about starting a CD way after 0:00.000 on the time line. I know that there's a bug right now where if you don't have the cursor at 0:00.000 and no marked area when you build the mix to FX modules, you'll get goofy results.

UpTilDawn
01-10-2006, 09:11 PM
I'm not sure I understand what it is you're trying to acomplish with your setup Cary, but why not make two edls... one with control track and regions set up one way, and another with them set up for your other need?

Why are you using the control track to make cue points to create a cd? I've never done it that way...... I'm curious.

DanT

ffarrell
01-10-2006, 10:54 PM
Go to the location of the control track mark on the MT and select that mark then drag it to your new location.

thanks
fvf

I did a mix of an entire live show in SSL, and am now setting up to make CD's. I have the mix of the entire show laid out on a track, and have control track entries of all the cue points. Starting from there, I created two sessions, one for each CD, and for the second session I have to slide the whole thing forward and then move all of my cue points.

The problem is that I cannot figure out how to move control track entries. Either I am failing to understand the instructions in the help file, or that feature simply does not work.

So... how do I move Control Track entries to new locations in the timeline???

Bob L
01-11-2006, 01:23 AM
Select all tracks you want to move, including the Control Track by clciking in the track numbers on the MT... then mark the area from the start position to the end of the chunk you want to move... place the cursor where you want the move to snap to and use the slip track option on the popup track properties menu. (right-click any track label).

Bob L

Cary B. Cornett
01-11-2006, 01:27 PM
I'm not sure I understand what it is you're trying to acomplish with your setup Cary, but why not make two edls... one with control track and regions set up one way, and another with them set up for your other need?

I started with one EDL for the entire show, until I had my overall mix together. Next stage of the EDL was just the built mix of the show. Then I made two copies of that EDL, as volumes 1 and 2. Next I stripped out the parts that I didn't need from each EDL. The "volume 1" EDL, of course, started at zero, with all its locate points correct, but the "volume 2" EDL had to have all regions of the mix file selected and slid back to the start.

Why are you using the control track to make cue points to create a cd? I've never done it that way...... I'm curious.

While mixing the show, I wanted to be able to bounce around to different parts to check for consistency. I ran out of locate points, so I went to the control track where there is no limit on the number of locate points you can enter and label.

Cary B. Cornett
01-11-2006, 01:29 PM
Go to the location of the control track mark on the MT and select that mark then drag it to your new location.

For some reason I was not able to figure out how to select the mark on the control track.

I still can't figure out how to set up to snap a chosen control track entry to the cursor location.

Cary B. Cornett
01-11-2006, 01:32 PM
Select all tracks you want to move, including the Control Track by clciking in the track numbers on the MT... then mark the area from the start position to the end of the chunk you want to move... place the cursor where you want the move to snap to and use the slip track option on the popup track properties menu. (right-click any track label).
That makes sense, but by the time I found out about it I had already moved the regions without the control track entries (the entire show mix was on a single track, so selecting tracks did not occur to me, nor did I think of "slip track", since it was so easy to select all regions on the track...)

Dave Labrecque
01-11-2006, 05:18 PM
For some reason I was not able to figure out how to select the mark on the control track.

I still can't figure out how to set up to snap a chosen control track entry to the cursor location. Cary, Assuming you only want to move a CT entry and not region data... Tab to the CT entry of choice. Hit the B key. Move the cursor to the right a little. Hit the E key. Now put the cursor where you want the CT entry to be and hit the backspace key. It snaps into place. If you want to move region data along with it, I'd use Bob's slip track idea, marking at and from the CT entry through the end of the stuff you want to move.

UpTilDawn
01-11-2006, 05:20 PM
Thansk for the clarification..... running out of Locate points gets under my skin........... a lot.... I end up only marking the "most important" points of the concert, which I don't like doing..... Of course, I guess it's not so easy to redefine locate points when you need to either...
Hadn't really begun using control track til recently.

DanT

Dave Labrecque
01-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Thansk for the clarification..... running out of Locate points gets under my skin........... a lot.... I end up only marking the "most important" points of the concert, which I don't like doing..... Of course, I guess it's not so easy to redefine locate points when you need to either...
Hadn't really begun using control track til recently.

DanT All this talk of using locate points is catching my interest. I rarely use more than two or three. Can you guys elaborate a little on your usage? I usually just zoom and drag around to get where I need to go. Although I suppose on those long sessions going an hour or so, it's helpful to have sections identified. I've always used control track entries for that. Why do you like locate points better? Less screen real estate being used up?

UpTilDawn
01-11-2006, 11:16 PM
I suppose less screen real estate is part of it, though I've never really given it a thought.
Personally, I came into Saw from a workstation which used markers and locators up the wazoo and which I found quite easy to use for quickly marking areas I needed to keep track of for whatever reason as well as moving, deleting or otherwise changing them on the fly.... the thing missing there was a simple way to make notes about what they referenced.

I usually use the first four locators to mark edit points, or quick reference points for comparing........ these constantly change as I work down the timeline..... if I'm going that way.

The remaining locators I use for marking the beginnings of songs and/or dialog in these 2 hour concerts I always seem to be recording...... this is where I often run short of locators. I would say not having to keep the control track visible helps my workflow and it's easy to jump to a locator on the fly when I need to, and I can make short notes to keep track of things....

By the end of an editing/mixdown session, I often end up using the first four locators to take up the slack in marking the final key points near the concert ending... I also frequently use more than the first four locators when editing, especially when I need to compare sections of music before making a cut and paste.

DanT

I'd like it if the locators that I want to keep were updated with the edits that I make... for instance if I've already marked 25 songs and find I need to nudge them all forward in the timeline a few seconds after removing a bit of unneeded dialog, it would be great if the 25 20 or so locators after the edit were to follow the nudge and reposition themselves so I wouldn't have to re-mark them all.

Oh darn..... you can't add smileys when you edit a post anymore!

Bob L
01-12-2006, 12:33 AM
If you have lots of marker points... use the Control Track and setup an FKey with the Control Track View expanded and not overlapped by other windows... this allows it to stay off screen while you work most of the time... then when you need to jump to a marker... one F-Key and a click on the marker (of which there could be thousands)... I personally find this to be an extremely efficient method. :)

Bob L

UpTilDawn
01-12-2006, 07:19 AM
I'll work on it.

DanT