PDA

View Full Version : OT: It's official, Intel Mac's are here

Pedro Itriago
01-11-2006, 06:56 AM
Yeap, one Macbook and a G5 both with dual core intel's inside. Reported to run the lates OSX version on both Powerpc & Intel machines, but applications will be re-compiled for the Intel's at a premium (at least those apple makes).

One things I gathered is the fact that there're no firewire ports in this machines and the prices remained the same as the iBook ang the old G5.

So, anyone in the mood to run OSX on their PC?

Studio de' Lara
01-11-2006, 07:52 AM
There is one firewire port and two usb 2.0 ports and an express card/34 slot. Plus digital I/O (which actually works very well on my G5).
Regards,
Rich

Pedro Itriago
01-11-2006, 09:23 AM
You're right. I just went to the mac page (which I should've done first) before believing the gossip of the firewire on another NG.

The rest I did read from a pcmag e-mail announcement.

What struck me funny, again, is something that happens anytime a pc feature is added to the mac. Before it gets implemented it sucks, but once it's inside a mac it's something wonderful. And that's happenening with the intel processor; now turns out that they have faster performance than with the new intel chips than with the PowerPC, but I guess that's just because they're inside the mac now, they weren't good before, oh well...

MacBook Pro. Powered by a dual-core Intel engine. Up to four times the speed of the PowerBook G4. Eight times the graphics bandwidth.

Rev up your digital life at speeds twice as fast as the previous iMac. Intel Core Duo and iLife

arock
01-11-2006, 09:26 AM
It's going to be more interesting to run Windows on the MacBook Pro for me. I've been a PowerBook user for more than two years. It would be nice if I could have one machine that could serve my day-to-day needs (OS X) and could also run SawStudio (Windows).

Unfortunately, it's sounding like getting Windows on this machine will be difficult due to not having a PC BIOS (it uses EFI instead). If there's anything special about the hardware (e.g., if the firmware on the ATI X1600 is Mac-specific), that will make it tough to dual boot. I may be trying to climb a greased pole here.

mghtx
01-11-2006, 02:27 PM
Wow, I wasn't expecting the 'MacBook Pro' to be out so early. Interesting.....

AudioAstronomer
01-11-2006, 02:59 PM
http://www.betanews.com/article/XP_Wont_Run_on_Intel_MacBook_iMac/1137003330

mghtx
01-11-2006, 03:34 PM
For its part, Microsoft encouraged Apple to build hardware compatible with Windows

Heh heh. I bet.

Bill O
01-11-2006, 07:08 PM
So it's Wintel and Macintel...only AMD left now for the G7 (unless Cyrix is still in business).

Pedro Itriago
01-12-2006, 07:51 AM
... (unless Cyrix is still in business).

Talk about thing I thougt were dead. Are they still doing any bussiness?

Mark Stebbeds
01-12-2006, 09:10 AM
All of the new Mac Power PCs have new PCI Express bus slots, making it impossible to use Pro Tools cards, throwing the PT project studio community into a tither.

Their normal hardware upgrade price policy to exchange existing HD PCIx cards for PCI Express cards is cost prohibitive. But if you buy new, PCI Express and PCIx and exactly the same price. This is making an expansion chassis a lower cost option for those who want to move an existing PT system onto a new computer, or for anyone that needs more than three slots. New chassis cost over $2K, but I saw a used one on ebay for $600.

There are still some PCIx Power Mac G5s available from independent resellers, but not directly from Apple. A friend of mine just bought a dual 2.7gHz online from MacWorld at a savings of $800 less than what I paid for my dual 2.5gHz. But now he doesn't have a slot left over (only 3 on a Power Mac) for his SCSI card, so he's blowing that out.

They are calling the new Intel dual core boxes Power PC, instead of Power Mac.

Mark

Pedro Itriago
01-12-2006, 09:19 AM
He he. This is getting funnier by the minute.

BTW, can the mac guys get any more corny?

What's an Intel chip doing in a Mac? A whole lot more than it's ever done on a PC.
Gimme a break. I just felt the sudden need to quote Penn & Teller...

They are calling the new Intel dual core boxes Power PC, instead of Power Mac.