PDA

View Full Version : OT: forum interface behavior of late

Dave Labrecque
01-11-2006, 05:29 PM
As I write this, the normal compose window is different. The various tool buttons are visible, but not available, and the interface looks "flatter". Anyone else?

mghtx
01-11-2006, 05:36 PM
Yeah, noticed it also today.

Pedro Itriago
01-11-2006, 05:38 PM
Depending on which browser you use, it looks different.

Also, have you changed lately the editor options in your user control panel?

Remember you can have 3 different ways to look at how you compose the messages: basic, standard and enhanced

Pedro Itriago
01-11-2006, 05:45 PM
Actually, I see (or rather can see just it's place and no icon) a new spell check button on IE. In firefox there are two additional buttons for letter size & editor mode and none of those are shown in opera, no matter what bowser you set it to be identified like.

Maybe this all means they're (Jeanne) fiddling with the forum code?

Dave Labrecque
01-11-2006, 09:51 PM
Depending on which browser you use, it looks different.

Also, have you changed lately the editor options in your user control panel?

Remember you can have 3 different ways to look at how you compose the messages: basic, standard and enhanced
Well, I've been using nothing but Mozilla. Right now it's doing it. Here's a new thing: the word groups 'decrease size', 'increase size', and 'switch editor mode' are in the upper right corner of the window. Clicking on one of the three changes stuff. And this time the smileys (newly located in a box on the right side of the interface) are available, as are the various buttons up above the type-in text box. Hmmm... maybe the i/f is getting tweaked as we speak. :confused:

Jay Q
01-11-2006, 11:13 PM
As I write this, the normal compose window is different. The various tool buttons are visible, but not available, and the interface looks "flatter". Anyone else?Hadn't noticed, but maybe vBulletin just released an update and Jeanne implemented it.

Jay

UpTilDawn
01-11-2006, 11:24 PM
Yeah the whole thing reminds me of working in Word now.....
and I just found out you can't add smileys in the edit a post window anymore..... at least I think you used to be able to?

DanT

Jay Q
01-11-2006, 11:55 PM
and I just found out you can't add smileys in the edit a post window anymore..... at least I think you used to be able to?You should still be able to use the shortcut (e.g., type a colon ":" followed by a closed paren ")" for a smile), but if for some reason that doesn't work, click the "Go Advanced" button.

Jay

UpTilDawn
01-12-2006, 07:20 AM
Okay
test:D
thanks

Jeanne Quinn
01-12-2006, 07:54 AM
Good morning!

Yes, I just installed an update to the software. That's why you are seeing a few cosmetic changes. Let me know if you have any questions at all.

Thanks!
-Jeanne

Dave Labrecque
01-12-2006, 11:06 AM
Good morning!

Yes, I just installed an update to the software. That's why you are seeing a few cosmetic changes. Let me know if you have any questions at all.

Thanks!
-Jeanne Hi Jeanne, I guess that explains it. Well, I'm having some issues. In the reply window that I'm using right now, all the tool buttons, above, and the smiley's, to the right, are unavailable. Plus, it looks like there's a bunch of HTML code mixed in with your quoted text, above, which is a new thing. ???

Ian Alexander
01-12-2006, 03:47 PM
Well, it looks fine on IE.

Take your medication and buy more. You'll be fine.

(Anyone ever see THX-1138?)

Jay Q
01-12-2006, 03:54 PM
Hi Jeanne, I guess that explains it. Well, I'm having some issues. In the reply window that I'm using right now, all the tool buttons, above, and the smiley's, to the right, are unavailable. Plus, it looks like there's a bunch of HTML code mixed in with your quoted text, above, which is a new thing. ???Dave, are you using the advanced view?

Jay

Dave Labrecque
01-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Dave, are you using the advanced view?

Jay Yessir. Haven't changed it since the beginning of time.

Jay Q
01-12-2006, 04:07 PM
Yessir. Haven't changed it since the beginning of time.Can your post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

Jay

Bob L
01-12-2006, 07:52 PM
Dave,

Can you look at things in IE and see if its different.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
01-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Dave,

Can you look at things in IE and see if its different.

Bob L

Bob,

I'm replying in IE. Still looks different than last week (maybe it's supposed to with the forum s/w upgrade?), but seems to work okay. All buttons are accessible, including smileys. :)

Hmmm... a Mozilla thing, then?

Dave Labrecque
01-12-2006, 08:01 PM
Bob,

I'm replying in IE. Still looks different than last week (maybe it's supposed to with the forum s/w upgrade?), but seems to work okay. All buttons are accessible, including smileys. :)

Hmmm... a Mozilla thing, then?

OK, now I'm in Firefox. Also seems to work fine...:confused:

Dave Labrecque
01-12-2006, 08:02 PM
OK, now I'm in Firefox. Also seems to work fine...:confused:

Hold on... back in Mozilla and it's working right. :eek:

I'm gonna shut all the browsers down and try Mozilla again. Stand by...

Dave Labrecque
01-12-2006, 08:04 PM
Hold on... back in Mozilla and it's working right. :eek:

I'm gonna shut all the browsers down and try Mozilla again. Stand by...

Back in a fresh instance of Mozilla. It's working. I dunno. I guess I'll be in touch if it acts up again. :o

Mark Stebbeds
01-12-2006, 10:46 PM
Back in a fresh instance of Mozilla. It's working. I dunno. I guess I'll be in touch if it acts up again. :o

But nothing works as good as a decent newsreader on the "old", but still current and underused IQS newsgroup.

Mark

Bob L
01-13-2006, 12:02 AM
I don't know... I happen to enjoy this forum style... there are a lot of fun things about the design in my opinion.

Bob L

studio-c
01-13-2006, 09:19 AM
Okay, don't flame me for asking this dumb question. But I'm curious about people avoiding IE. Is there an advantage to Mozilla, Firefox, Netscape, Safari and all? Or is it just a matter of not losing Precious Bodily Fluids (ref: Dr. Strangelove) to Microsoft? I also wonder about Linux and all those. Do you find it worth the extra hoops you have to jump through to be out of the mainstream? I'm really asking, not criticising. Certainly open to exploring better avenues.

I guess I'm in the same boat using SS over ProTools, so maybe that's the same thing. The road less traveled.

I always wondered though. Thanks, and be gentle :eek:

Scott

Pedro Itriago
01-13-2006, 09:33 AM
I've found that IE, once you put all the security restriction to make it relatively safe, it becomes a PITA, which I put up with for too long.

After trying both firefox & opera I like opera the best. You have, in any of these two, better way of browsing several pages at the same time using tabbing cascading sheets. In IE you need to open a new window for eac new page you want to see.

But in the end, some pages, specially those with security encription and so forth or with heavy multimedia (anything macromedia plus embedded video, etc.), I have to see them in IE. Firefox has become more compatible in this respect, but there still some places not entirely compatible.

So, I use them in this order:
Regular browsing: opera
If the page has problems in it: firefox
if it's an SSL page like banking or the page is incomplatible with the previous two: IE

Dave Labrecque
01-13-2006, 10:34 AM
I've found that IE, once you put all the security restriction to make it relatively safe, it becomes a PITA, which I put up with for too long.

After trying both firefox & opera I like opera the best. You have, in any of these two, better way of browsing several pages at the same time using tabbing cascading sheets. In IE you need to open a new window for eac new page you want to see.

But in the end, some pages, specially those with security encription and so forth or with heavy multimedia (anything macromedia plus embedded video, etc.), I have to see them in IE. Firefox has become more compatible in this respect, but there still some places not entirely compatible.

So, I use them in this order:
Regular browsing: opera
If the page has problems in it: firefox
if it's an SSL page like banking or the page is incomplatible with the previous two: IE

I've had almost the identical experience as Pedro. Differences being I use Mozilla primarily and go to IE as needed for banking and other sites that aren't working right. The reason I use Mozilla over the others is that it's very simple to allow cookies for a specific site by use of a menu item. The others I've tried involve going into preferences and poking around. Someone tell me there's something as simple for cookie enabling in another browser and I'll check it out.

RE: all the security settings needed to make IE safe (disabling scripts, etc.), anyone know if recent updates have solved this progblem for IE? I'd think MS would be on top of fixing identified weaknesses. :confused:

Pedro Itriago
01-13-2006, 11:06 AM
As far as I know, maybe in explorer 7 with vista & xp, along with tabbed browsing, etc. Everyone else (moi included) may need to go & play with themselves, metaphorically speaking

RE: all the security settings needed to make IE safe (disabling scripts, etc.), anyone know if recent updates have solved this progblem for IE? I'd think MS would be on top of fixing identified weaknesses. :confused:

mghtx
01-13-2006, 01:16 PM
I happen to enjoy this forum style..

No questions about it....I enjoy this forum much more. I'll leave it at that. :)

Differences being I use Mozilla primarily and go to IE as needed

Same here. I actually just tried Mozilla on a whim and liked it enough to stay with it. I'm not crazy about how the bookmarks are done though.

Pedro Itriago
01-13-2006, 07:50 PM
Hi Jeanne:

I think I've stumbled across a glitch with the forum update.

I've the thread display mode set as threaded. If I go to a thread containing collapsed branches labeled "More replies below the current depth..." and I click on it to expand it, all yellow-marked unread messages in the thread, regardless of them being in this or any other branch, turn to blue as if I'd clicked on the mark forums read menu option. It happened both on opera in my main WS and with IE on my laptop.

Thought I let you know

studio-c
01-14-2006, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the browser insights. I used to use Netscape, and drifted back to IE. I'll check out the others just for fun.

Scott

Mark Stebbeds
01-14-2006, 12:23 PM
Okay, don't flame me for asking this dumb question. But I'm curious about people avoiding IE. Is there an advantage to Mozilla, Firefox, Netscape, Safari and all?

With Mozilla/Firefox/Netscape (Netscape is branded Mozilla), you have much more control over cookies, popups, etc., with the ability to allow cookies and popups to certain sites, and not others, etc.

However, some sites just don't recognize Mozilla, and won't let you in if you don't have IE.

It's also been explained to me that the folder and file names of the Mozilla apps are randomly named, unlike IE which are globally the same, making it easier for hackers and viruses to come in the "back door" when you are online with IE.

I've probably explained that all wrong, and will be corrected (or flamed) by the geek squad, but basically Mozilla offers better security as compared to IE.

It is also widely discussed that Safari/Macintosh is even safer due to the small market share, and therefore less interest to hackers and spammers.

Mark

Pedro Itriago
01-14-2006, 12:49 PM
Yeah, but Apple seem to be quite in a hurry to take that spam spot for themselves.

It is also widely discussed that Safari/Macintosh is even safer due to the small market share, and therefore less interest to hackers and spammers.

Jeanne Quinn
01-14-2006, 02:24 PM
Hi Pedro!

I'll take a look at this over the weekend and see if I can find out what's going on.

Thanks for the heads up!

-Jeanne

Hi Jeanne:

I think I've stumbled across a glitch with the forum update.

I've the thread display mode set as threaded. If I go to a thread containing collapsed branches labeled "More replies below the current depth..." and I click on it to expand it, all yellow-marked unread messages in the thread, regardless of them being in this or any other branch, turn to blue as if I'd clicked on the mark forums read menu option. It happened both on opera in my main WS and with IE on my laptop.

Thought I let you know