PDA

View Full Version : Linking Saw to Vsti´s

johnnymac2201
01-16-2006, 04:32 PM
Have gotten good results with various Vst´s, but Vsti´s still seem to be problematic. I tried replacing Hypercanvas in an edl with Hypersonic via .ini file and it loads in and I see the midi data lighting up Hypersonic, but there is no audio output.

Will try some more tomorrow, it´s getting pretty late overe here.

Best regards,
John

Bob L
01-16-2006, 06:02 PM
Not sure I understand exactly... but it sounded like you tried to point an existing edl to a different plug by linking the plug name to a different one with the ini link... no good at all... the individual plugin settings would be corrupted when the edl loads... sending unrelated data to a different plugin.

That is not what the ini file link is about.

Bob L

johnnymac2201
01-17-2006, 03:28 AM
Some strange things still going on when trying to use Steinberg's Hypersonic.

I open a new project and insert Hypersonic. It starts up and at first everything seems OK. It always start up with a default synth patch and it plays, no problem.

As soon as I choose a piano patch, there is no sound. It seems that some patches are working and some are not.

If I open it as a standalone or in Cubase, these problems are gone. It´s only happening when using Sawbasic.

One thing I´ve noticed is the memory usage meter on Hypersonic when being used as a standalone or in Cubase is always changing depending on the patch being used, while in Saw it is always at 0.0 MB.

And it seems the patches that playback are the ones that use very little memory.

Best regards,
John

johndale
01-17-2006, 03:57 AM
I get that to. What I do is move the VSTI region to another track and it play's back fine. I was thinking I was not doing something correct as I am new to SAW.
John

johnnymac2201
01-17-2006, 04:35 AM
Don´t really know what you mean..

What I do is move the VSTI region to another track and it play's back fine. John
I´ve got Hypersonic loaded in the pre fx slot and am just trying to get it to play some patches.

Have tried it with and without MWS. Haven´t tried recording it yet.

What I think is really strange is that other VSTi´s don´t seem to have these problems, just the ones from Steinberg, and they´re the developers of ASIO, Vst, Vsti, etc...

You´d think they could get it right.

Best regards,
John

johnnymac2201
01-17-2006, 06:17 AM
Not sure, but it seems to be the patches that rely on sample-based elements that won***180;t play through Saw.
Best regards,

John

Bob L
01-17-2006, 08:10 AM
We have seen this behaviour with other Steinberg plugins that are sample based... it seems they cannot locate their sample database from within SS... I have no idea why... because that should not be a function of the host... perhaps its a way of copy protection... perhaps there is something I am missing about internal path functions in the VST protocol... I have no idea.

Bob L

Brent Bennett
01-17-2006, 08:51 AM
... I have no idea why... perhaps there is something I am missing about ... I have no idea.

Bob L

Bob, you are a very classy guy. I appreciate your work.

I'll give away my recording business if anyone can find an honest statement like that from a major software company. I am proud to be part of such an elite group of music makers!

Thank you for a solid product that's always "in the works" and becoming stronger. Thank you for no B.S. You make my job fun!

Sincerely,
Brent Bennett
Green Roof Recording
Nashville, TN

johnnymac2201
01-17-2006, 09:28 AM
It seems Stienberg doesn´t play well with others... Thanks for trying Bob.

Is there an equivalent VSTi workstation that works well with Saw? Any recommedations would be appreciated.

Thanks, John

JoergReiher
09-02-2006, 08:30 AM
Hello all (and especially Bob:-),
I have to bring this up again, 'cause
a) I tried Hypersonic2 recently hoping to have sound with SAWStudio (V.1 didn't do a beep) but the newer version didn't "sound" either and more interestingly
b) I stumbled over a problem description for another software which fits to the "no sound with Steinberg Hypersonic/Groove Agent" in SAWStudio:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2028000

The problem was solved, so I wrote an email to the developer of the program asking him if he could post me "his solution" (a reference to the VST initializiation, not his source code:-). After about 15 minutes he replied the following:

[If I remember correctly the problem was this:]
dispatch effIdle to the plugin after processing, if the plugin called audioMasterNeedIdle before
[This should help the developer]

(the text in [] was in German)

Does this mean anything to you, Bob? My Google search for "effIdle" and "audioMasterNeedIdle" told me that it has something to do with the initialization of a vst plugin. But I don't know if it's a trivial init routine you are already handling right or a fancy thing normally not used.

If it doesn't help, maybe it's possible to contact the developer directly?
http://www.sonicbytes.com/about.htm

Thanks in advance,
greetings
Joerg

Bob L
09-02-2006, 08:54 AM
I've never been able to find a clear definition of the effidle functions... all demo code I have ever found seems to ignore these calls...

Once again... it sure would be nice for Steinberg to clarify much of this stuff in a clearly written document since their marketing efforts have been so successful making VST an industry standrd... but in truth, they have created quite a mess from a developer standpoint with thousands of plugins now being written and interpretted each in their own way.

Bob L

MikeDee
09-02-2006, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob L
... I have no idea why... perhaps there is something I am missing about ... I have no idea.

Bob L

Bob, you are a very classy guy. I appreciate your work.

I'll give away my recording business if anyone can find an honest statement like that from a major software company. I am proud to be part of such an elite group of music makers!

Thank you for a solid product that's always "in the works" and becoming stronger. Thank you for no B.S. You make my job fun!

Sincerely,
Brent Bennett
Green Roof Recording
Nashville, TN

I (as well as perhaps most everyone in our community) second this...nice post, Brent!

Bob, your honesty and integrity...and SAWStudio...are second to none! It's amazing how a product that's always "in the works" ALWAYS WORKS. :) I'd be willing to wager that your betas are superior to most others' gold releases.

It doesn't get any better'n this...oh, wait, yes it does...we got 4.0 comin'!! :cool:

JoergReiher
09-02-2006, 12:58 PM
After spending the whole afternoon reading through
a) Steinberg vst_sdk2_3 docs (which look like a bad joke and not like the specifications/references/examples of the leading fx/instrument plugin architecture)
b) Steinberg vstsdk2.4 (which look a bit better:-)
c) Steinberg VST Mailing Lists
I know what you mean!

In VST sdk 2.4 the "effIdle" method is marked deprecated and it says:
"Idle Calls outside Editor: AudioEffectX::needIdle and AudioEffectX::fxIdle are not widely supported, thus Plugs can not rely on it. Please create your own timer/background thread if needed. On Windows SetTimer with a callback function could be used (look it up on MSDN), the MacOS X equivalent is InstallEventLoopTimer."

So maybe Steinberg will follow his own guidelines in the next release of Hypersonic, then the problem should be solved:-)

JoergReiher
10-16-2006, 06:37 AM
Hi,
I managed to get Steinberg Hypersonic to work with SAW Studio (it just took me 2 years:-)

As mentioned in another thread
(http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4940) the Chainer VSTi can act as a wrapper for a lot of VST Instruments. I tested it yesterday with Hypersonic 1 and voila - for the first time there's sound:-)!

http://www.xlutop.com/html/chainer.html

jazzboxmaker
10-16-2006, 08:46 AM
Joerg, Nice to see that chainer solved that problem too.

Drive ya crazy- It's funny cause I found if I use a proggie like Dxizer to make a dx version of the drum vsti's they would find their data & run fine.... BUT!!!... since they were not running as vsti's they don't receive the tempo information so everything plays at 120bpm! and no way around that except to use MWS to capture MIDI, then set tempo then play back thru synth but there goes your 'Live' Drums

Bob, I know you're gonna beat this thing yet!

mOjO Fet
10-16-2006, 03:22 PM
the Chainer VSTi can act as a wrapper for a lot of VST Instruments. I tested it yesterday with Hypersonic 1 and voila - for the first time there's sound:-)!

OH MAN! Thank you for that!

I had exactly the same problem the other day.
I was continuing a demo in SAW that i initially started in cubase and the patches in Hypersonic didn't play! :mad:
I must have spend over two hours with that stupid problem so I gave up and switched to another synth.

Now I can go back to HS.:)

Michael