PDA

View Full Version : Vsampler

bit
01-18-2006, 02:48 AM
Any of you had any luck with Vsampler351? The demo freezes up as soon as it is loaded in Saw (3.9j clean install).

Bjorn

johndale
01-18-2006, 03:35 AM
From my experiance with V-sampler in Sonar. Your not missing anything. There are far better samplers for the money out there. NI Kompakt come's to mind as doe's Sampletank LE.....
John

TotalSonic
01-18-2006, 01:07 PM
From my experiance with V-sampler in Sonar. Your not missing anything. There are far better samplers for the money out there. NI Kompakt come's to mind as doe's Sampletank LE.....
John

I kind of feel the same way. I have the earlier Vsampler v2 and found that the interface is a little clumsy and more complicated than I need - usually I just use the samplers in Orion Platinum 6 (external to SAW) instead of it - but thinking of checking out Kontact as an option.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

johndale
01-18-2006, 04:03 PM
Hi Steve, I got Kompakt first, works great with playing back samples and works well in SAW. But you need Kontakt to edit sample's, do looping (within the VSTI) and many features I don't use. But it is not overkill. It is just one, IMHO "must have" because it is so versatale. I paid $149 at Audio and Midi, then I got Kontakt from a Ebay store for $279. If your not going to edit samples Kompakt will be all you ever need. But if you like to fine tune your sample's, create MIDI controlled loop's etc. Just get Kontakt, it does all Kompakt does and much more. My NI product's seem like they were designed for SAW they work so well. But I'm still in Sampletank hell.
John

TotalSonic
01-18-2006, 04:10 PM
John -
Thanks for the review - much appreciated.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

bit
01-19-2006, 11:13 AM
Hmmmmm.
Thanks for input. Kompakt it probably is then. My only problem is that I'm still on win2k. According to the info on the native-instruments I need XP. Anyone using their products with Win2k? There's no demo for Kompakt either. I guess I can test Kontakt.

Bjørn

Bob L
01-19-2006, 11:49 AM
Kompakt as a VST inside SS runs fine on W2k.

It has its issues... but gets the job done well.

Bob L

bit
01-24-2006, 10:40 AM
Hello.
I've tried a few samplers now and I definately like Kontakt best. I could even play foreign libraries without having to import them. There is one thing that happens a lot with most of them that drives me crazy. These message windows keep coming up behind the plug. V-sampler didn't actually freeze up Saw when it was patched. It was the "trial period"- message box that was hidden behind the plug-in. Saw seemed to be completely locked until I hit <alt>F4. There was no extra app window in the taskbar. In most of the other plugs cases there was. I was therefore able to move messagebox around with the arowbuttons after clicking move in the popup taskbar window to read the message. The Kontakt demo seemed extremely powerful and logical. And no crash so far. As far as I recall all of the other samplers I tried crashed a few times. I assume that the settings in Kontakt is saveble in Saw in the payed version.

Bj***248;rn

Westwind
01-24-2006, 11:16 AM
With VSampler, and some other plugins, the FIRST thing you need to do is Check the box marked 'Cancel Ontop Staus' located by right-clicking the RML blue triangel logo in the top right of the plug-in. This will prevent any messages and/or dialogue boxes from opening behind SAW windows and effectively locking up the program.

johndale
01-24-2006, 01:42 PM
Yes in the full versions your Kompakt and Kontakt settings save with the EDL (I assume). But yea, your presets are just like you left them when you close and reopen a project.
John