PDA

View Full Version : Send/return to outboard not in time

olzzon
01-24-2006, 10:08 AM
When i use HW in/out on aux/return busses. The tracks are not in sync when i have a plugin with latency on the masterbus.
Are there any way to compensate for this.

Arco
01-24-2006, 12:29 PM
http://www.jms-audioware.com/latency.htm

JMS's latency compensator plugin might work for you. I'm not experienced in using hardware outboard gear but i imagine if you record the return into SAW you coul determine the latency and then use the above plugin to compensate..(not sure about this though)

olzzon
01-24-2006, 12:48 PM
That doesn´t seem to solve the problem.
The Aux -> HW out -> Hw in -> return track in route seems to have difficulties to manage plugins with latency on the masterbus.
Normally the Aux -> HW out will be played before so that the return will be in time. When you insert a Plug with latency on the masterbus, the track will play but the return won´t play until a couple of second later and it will be out of sync. and it´s a sync mix of the latency that the plugin causes and the latency the send/return channel creates.

What i can do is route the aux to a master out(e.g master out 4) and mix it out of Saw. Then it is in sync. And you can record it on a track before mixing.
But then i can´t have any master plugins on the master, cause the HW channels won´t be included, and then i could just as well work without anything on the master channel.:) Which was not what i wanted, and why i asked.

antiClick
01-24-2006, 12:51 PM
How to determine total pugin latency?
Seems teoricaly possible for the host to auto force latency in outboard returns?

Very interesting

olzzon
01-24-2006, 12:59 PM
How to determine total pugin latency?
Seems teoricaly possible for the host to auto force latency in outboard returns?

Very interesting

That´s actually one of they great things about saw, you just use the aux as HW send returns, and SAW takes care of latency all by itself.
Except when theres a latency plug on the masterbus, apparently.

Bob L
01-24-2006, 01:25 PM
It gets pretty complex... in fact the hardware aux send issue is a special feature of the engine that pre-sends out the aux send so it can place the hardware returns in sync with the delayed MT tracks... adding in VST latency in that loop gets pretty crazy.

Sorry to say... when using any hardware loop, any latent plug cannot work correctly because it needs to preload data ahead to compensate for the latency... and there is no preload data in a hardware live input... the helpfile talks about that issue.

Do not use latent plugins in a hardware loop... the idea of using the hardware anyway is to not use plugins. :)

Make up your mind. :D

Bob L

olzzon
01-24-2006, 01:51 PM
It gets pretty complex... in fact the hardware aux send issue is a special feature of the engine that pre-sends out the aux send so it can place the hardware returns in sync with the delayed MT tracks... adding in VST latency in that loop gets pretty crazy.

Sorry to say... when using any hardware loop, any latent plug cannot work correctly because it needs to preload data ahead to compensate for the latency... and there is no preload data in a hardware live input... the helpfile talks about that issue.

Do not use latent plugins in a hardware loop... the idea of using the hardware anyway is to not use plugins. :)

Make up your mind. :D

Bob L

I know, it´s just that i have a TC M5000, and a lex PCM60 that i like alot, and i haven´t found any REV plugins that can do what they do.

I´ll find a workaround. I can still route the AUX/RETURN bus to a master out and it will be in sync. And i´m working at having a mastering machine that i can run master plugs and mix my HW reverbs.