PDA

View Full Version : OT: Opening Sony plugs from a patch window

Dave Labrecque
01-24-2006, 01:49 PM
Almost every time I open Sony Wave Hammer (I use it a lot on VO stuff) from a patch window with a double click, the interface opens in exactly the right (wrong) spot so that my mouse pointer is on top of the Sony button, thereby launching the Sony web site in my browser. I can move the plug's interface for the duration of the EDL's current session, but as soon as I re-open the EDL, the plug has returned to it's annoying placement and the Sony site is in my face again whenever I open the plug. What a PITA!

Anyone else have this problem? Does anyone know of a way to move the plug's placement permanently?

Thanks!!

Bob L
01-24-2006, 02:43 PM
Plugins should stay where they are placed when you save and reopen the edl... the trick is to save the edl with the plug opened and positioned.

Then you can just close the plug after you pen the edl and it will now stay in its saved position next time you open it during the session.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
01-24-2006, 03:19 PM
Plugins should stay where they are placed when you save and reopen the edl... the trick is to save the edl with the plug opened and positioned.

Then you can just close the plug after you pen the edl and it will now stay in its saved position next time you open it during the session.

Bob L

Hi Bob,

OK... well, I knew that. I was hoping there was a way to save it so that I didn't have to close any such positioned plugs each time I open the EDL. It's not unlike closing an unwelcome browser. :) This also means that we have to remember to open any such positioned plug each time before closing out of an EDL.

Any hope of a more-streamlined way?

I know it's not as cool as VST latency compensation :), but I think many such details help streamline the workflow. In fact, I'd think it could open a whole new way of working if we could more transparently depend on plugs to open in the same spot every time. It'd make those special FX-tweaking F-key views quite a bit more powerful, I'd think.

Heck, even aside from those F-key views, no longer would we have to move and position every plug-in out of the way of the patch window every time we open one. Clicks and drags can add up, IMO...

OK, off the soap box... (for now ;))

Jay Q
01-24-2006, 08:31 PM
I've encounterd this annoying side-effect as well, and with a couple of plugins besides the Sony ones (makes me appreciate the developers who put the link to their site on the "back" of the plugin). Bob, couldn't you just make the default plugin location be at the side of the FX window rather than on top of it?

Jay

Bob L
01-25-2006, 12:59 AM
The default setting is down and to the right of the cursor position... which makes the most sense to me... it pops up where your cursor is... but not on it... it is all dependent where your Patch window is... if the plug window size is big enough to run offscreen, it gets snapped into a new position to fit... so try a different position layout for your patch windows... put them on the left side of the screen... or top left to allow room for large plugin windows... that way they will never popup ontop of the cursor.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
01-25-2006, 04:43 PM
No comment, Bob?

Bob L
01-25-2006, 11:36 PM
Nothing I see to comment on at this time... I like the plugs popping up where my mouse is when I click to ask for them...

Even if the mouse is overtop some button in a plugin, the double-click to open the plug should be absorbing the mouse clicks and button up and the button should not be activated... so perhaps the problem lies in a dbl-click sensitivity setting on your machine or mouse driver.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
01-26-2006, 11:09 AM
Nothing I see to comment on at this time... I like the plugs popping up where my mouse is when I click to ask for them...
I guess I meant the stuff about how to streamline the work flow so there are fewer clicks and drags required for every plug opening. And the stuff about being able to set up consistent FX/plug F-key views.

Even if the mouse is overtop some button in a plugin, the double-click to open the plug should be absorbing the mouse clicks and button up and the button should not be activated... so perhaps the problem lies in a dbl-click sensitivity setting on your machine or mouse driver.
Yeah, in theory it shouldn't be triggering the button on the plug-in since a double click is what's required to open the plug in the first place, so I don't know how even the double-click setting on the machine could be the thing. But if it is the thing, the reason I need the double-click speed set so high is so I can work in the MT as fast as I like without opening MT regions in the sound file view frequently by accident. Even so, I can't figure why a fast double-click would be seen as a single click in the freshly-opened plug interface.

I'm using the mousewheel for double-clicking (since I've got the double-click speed set faster than is Davidly possible on-purpose). I wonder if it could be sending a false triple-click or something... :confused:

Bob L
01-26-2006, 03:17 PM
If thats the case (mousewheel for double click) don't... its way to easy to push that wheel past a single or double notch wihich is probably sending out multiple double-clicks or worse...

Besides... you are giving up a lot be not using the wheel for zooming... a huge time saver and click saver... literally thousands of clicks can be saved in the course of a normal session mix with the wheel set to zoom.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
01-26-2006, 06:13 PM
If thats the case (mousewheel for double click) don't... its way to easy to push that wheel past a single or double notch wihich is probably sending out multiple double-clicks or worse...

Besides... you are giving up a lot be not using the wheel for zooming... a huge time saver and click saver... literally thousands of clicks can be saved in the course of a normal session mix with the wheel set to zoom.

Bob L

Bob,

Maybe I should've said "mousewheel button".

Be assured that using the mousewheel to zoom has transformed my life. :) I push down on the mousewheel (not rolling it) to double-click. Just like programming a third mouse button to do the double-click.

So, an extra click coming from the mouse when opening Sony's Wave Hammer plug-in seems unlikely. In fact... this thought gave me the idea to try a simple manual double-click on the mouse (it's tough, but I can manage it :)) to open the plug from the patch window. And it too causes the browser to open by virtue of a "ghost click" on the plug-in's "SONY" button in the interface.

Odd... :confused:

Bob L
01-27-2006, 12:05 AM
I disagree... I originally programmed the wheel button directly into SAWStudio for some functions (forget which now), but gave it up quickly after it was in use because it was all too easy to get more than one click from it... and the function was getting duplicated multiple times.

Bob L

Jay Q
01-27-2006, 02:24 AM
I figured out what's going on, and it isn't a problem with mouse wheels or the like. The problem is that they designed the link on the plugin to respond to a mouseup event rather than a mouseclick. So if you mousedown *anywhere* on the screen (doesn't even have to be on the plugin) and release while you're over the link, it triggers the link. I didn't wanna go through all my plugins to see which others did this, but I know that it happens with a couple of other ones. Why those guys designed the plugs like that is beyond me... nevermind that the stupid link is there in the first place.

The default setting is down and to the right of the cursor position... which makes the most sense to me... it pops up where your cursor is... but not on it... it is all dependent where your Patch window is... if the plug window size is big enough to run offscreen, it gets snapped into a new position to fit... so try a different position layout for your patch windows... put them on the left side of the screen... or top left to allow room for large plugin windows... that way they will never popup ontop of the cursor.

Bob LBob, I see that you make plugins find the window boundary when they don't have enough room. In those cases, couldn't you also have the plug window border pop up at the edge of the click coordinates? That'd solve the problem. I'm just asking because my FX F-Key view is so ingrained, I'd really rather not rearrange the windows, and it still might occur even with the FX window in a different position.

Jay

Bob L
01-27-2006, 09:38 AM
It finds the window right edge and bottom edge... and moves in both directions to make sure to fit on the screen... so the link button on one plugin showing up exactly under the cursor is dependent on the exact patch window placement and the size of the individual pliugin and your screen resolution...

Why not ask Sony to change there stupid link instead of always asking me to change my design... which makes perfect logical sense in the way it currently functions. :confused:

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
01-27-2006, 10:19 AM
I disagree... I originally programmed the wheel button directly into SAWStudio for some functions (forget which now), but gave it up quickly after it was in use because it was all too easy to get more than one click from it... and the function was getting duplicated multiple times.

Bob L

Bob,

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with. :confused: I tried the manual double-click in the patch window and it, too, opens the browser as I explained. Using the mouse button for double click has never caused a problem elsewhere.

Looks like Jay's onto it...

Dave Labrecque
01-27-2006, 10:43 AM
It finds the window right edge and bottom edge... and moves in both directions to make sure to fit on the screen... so the link button on one plugin showing up exactly under the cursor is dependent on the exact patch window placement and the size of the individual pliugin and your screen resolution...

Bob,

On my system, different plug-ins open in different places on the screen (some not even near the patch window). And actually none of the ones opening at the pointer respect the right edge of my left screen in my dual (independent) monitor setup. My main FX-patching F-key view has the patch windows bordering the right edge of the left screen and the plug-ins that do open near the mouse pointer invariably get split between both monitors. I usually don't think about it, though, because I'm typically moving them out of the way of the patch window each time, anyway.

Why not ask Sony to change there stupid link instead of always asking me to change my design... which makes perfect logical sense in the way it currently functions. :confused:

Because Sony doesn't listen and respond the way you do, Bob. :)

Bob L
01-27-2006, 06:10 PM
Yup... sound like Jay has it figured what's going on.

Dave... the first time you open any plug that has not been opened yet... it should open just to the right and down a little outside of the mouse position on the Add button that triggered the open.

After that it retians the position of where you move it to.

This all starts over again when you restart the program... unless you saved an edl with a plugin opened... then it re-positions it to the saved location... if the plug is closed when you save the session, the position info save is bypassed...

One thing I can try is to save the plug position within an edl whether its open or not when you save.

Bob L

UpTilDawn
01-27-2006, 08:58 PM
That might be a nice thing Bob...

:)

Jay Q
01-28-2006, 02:15 AM
Yup... sound like Jay has it figured what's going on.Can never be sure when reading rather than talking, but that sounds like sarcasm. Bob, I'm not trying to bust your chops. I was just making a suggestion for something that has been an irritation for a long time -- not one that I've ever blamed on you, BTW. As for Sony, you and I know there's less than a snowball's chance in hell that they'll change anything in this regard.

I merely made the suggestion I made because I thought'd be an easy fix since getting the mouse coordinates is easy. But, Bob, as always, it's just a suggestion. I very much appreciate what you do with this program even when it doesn't function exactly how I'd like. I use it, I love it, and I'm not interested in running any other mixing app. I hope it doesn't sound otherwise. I just figure it never hurts to ask.

Jay

Bob L
01-28-2006, 02:34 AM
I'm looking into it.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
01-29-2006, 11:53 PM
Yup... sound like Jay has it figured what's going on.

Dave... the first time you open any plug that has not been opened yet... it should open just to the right and down a little outside of the mouse position on the Add button that triggered the open.

Bob,

Just to clarify... yes, that's the behavior I get with non-native plugs. Native plugs seem to open up elsewhere on the screen regardless of whether they were open during a prior save or not. I'm not sure if you knew that. Heck, you must know that. :)

One thing I can try is to save the plug position within an edl whether its open or not when you save.

That would be great. I'd find that very handy, indeed. :) It appears that the native plugs already do that. Maybe you can borrow some code for the VST and DX implementations?

Bob L
01-30-2006, 12:08 AM
The VST and DX plugs sit in my holding window... the Native plugs are in complete control of where they go... and when.

Bob L

Carl G.
01-30-2006, 11:10 AM

Bob L
That would be nice here too.

Dave Labrecque
01-30-2006, 12:19 PM
FWIW, Jay, I didn't take it as sarcastic.