PDA

View Full Version : Best practice on setting up a new PC from and old one?

trock
02-08-2006, 06:54 AM
Hi

I am getting a PC just for my Audio work. I have SAW and all my other stuff on the current PC which of course does email, is on the internet, has games etc etc

i have 2 drives in this PC, the system drive where SAW and other programs run and another drive where i have only stored my SAW projects. i figure i will swap that drive into the new PC to keep my projects.

however i am not sure how to re set up

SAW
Tracks-24
Kompakt
my plugs that i have purchased, anwida, sonoris, and the free ones i use?

i will be fine with re setting up my RME and POD

is there a how to on something like this for SAW and the plugs?? i figure for Tracks-24 i need to contact them and get another user code for the install, not sure about kompakt

has anyone done this recently with a situation like this??

also, i know i asked this before but i have a dual monitor setup and would like to do something like a KVM switch to control both PC's with 1 keyboard, mouse and the DUAL monitors

however i can't find a switch that has dual monitor capability

any help on this woule be much appreciated

thanks

Angie
02-08-2006, 07:32 AM
It is fairly easy to move SAWStudio over to a new computer. Just copy the folder over to the new PC. Your DirectX plug-ins and probably some of the VSTs will have to be re-installed. Your other programs will most likely have to be re-installed.

As far as the KVM, there are software KVM packages that look interesting. I don't know if they support dual monitors. Here are a couple.
http://www.maxivista.com/index_kvm.htm
http://www.kvm-software.com/

Ian Alexander
02-08-2006, 07:55 AM
Thanks for these links Angie.

Trock, do you really need both monitors for your NON-audio computer? If not, just switch one monitor from one computer to the other and leave the second monitor directly connected to the audio computer.

Maybe this is a dumb question. Perhaps it would be cool to have a browser, two word docs and email all onscreen at once.:cool:

trock
02-08-2006, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the help

Hey Ian

good point, had only thought of it as "thats the way it is now" and actually i really don't need 2 for the regular PC

let me think on that and see what i come up with, my thinking was just that it would be easier to just plug them into a switch and flick between them.

i will let you know what i coem up with and how this all wors so as maybe to help anyone else out who does this

thats COOL you just move the SAW folder over.

i wish everything else was as easy as Bob has made this

thanks

Sean McCoy
02-08-2006, 12:41 PM
i wish everything else was as easy as Bob has made this

Amen to that! I have my new computer sitting here in its delivery box, and I just can't wait to start the process of transferring everything. Let's see, SAWStudio, about 30 seconds...everything else, eight to ten hours.

Bruce Callaway
02-08-2006, 01:17 PM
Amen to that! I have my new computer sitting here in its delivery box, and I just can't wait to start the process of transferring everything. Let's see, SAWStudio, about 30 seconds...everything else, eight to ten hours.Good luck. I recommend you have some good coffee/tea on hand ;)

Jay Q
02-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Let's see, SAWStudio, about 30 seconds...everything else, eight to ten hours.[groan] :( No kidding. Good luck, Sean and trock!

Jay

Cary B. Cornett
02-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Trock, do you really need both monitors for your NON-audio computer? If not, just switch one monitor from one computer to the other and leave the second monitor directly connected to the audio computer.

I'm with Ian on this one. In my studio I run two computers, two CRT monitors, one keyboard, one trackball and the cheapest KVM switch I could find. The left CRT is the primary screen for the DAW only, never gets switched. The right CRT gets switched between the two machines along with the keyboard and trackball. I have been working this way for more than two years now, and cannot remember wishing for dual screens for my web/office stuff.

Pedro Itriago
02-09-2006, 08:06 AM
Ditto here

I'm with Ian on this one. In my studio I run two computers, two CRT monitors, one keyboard, one trackball and the cheapest KVM switch I could find. The left CRT is the primary screen for the DAW only, never gets switched. The right CRT gets switched between the two machines along with the keyboard and trackball. I have been working this way for more than two years now, and cannot remember wishing for dual screens for my web/office stuff.

Angie
02-09-2006, 08:31 AM
Ditto here

I should have mentioned that that is how I have mine set up as well. But one never knows what others may need.:D