PDA

View Full Version : Drum Programming software

Benje Graves
02-09-2006, 10:21 AM
I've seen a few threads that mention software to program drum tracks. If you program drums, what are you guys using? I have a unique problem in that our drummer in our own band can't seem to drum in the studio. It's freaky since he does fine live. He seems to have a studio phobia.

Anyway, I used to program drums a lot on the old school drum machines. I would like to know what software I might be able to use for this. Are there any around that are stand alone, non-midi programs? I stay in the audio-only world. However, I would consider buying midi workshop and using it if there is a great program for this.

Thanks for the help

Sam C
02-09-2006, 10:31 AM
One of the more popular drum programs is stand alone as well as VSTi. But, it is so much better with midi.

BFD Drums

www.fxpansion.com

You can also incorporate Drum Kit From Hell samples with BFD. Pretty darn good sounding drums.

antiClick
02-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Hi Benje!
I tried to do the same as you and the results were allways quite poor and artificial, but I suppose I didn't know all the tricks or maybe my samples simply didn't fit (I used Smokin' Drums).

Here people seems to like Stylus RMX, or any sampler (kontakt?) charged with a library called DrumsOnDemand. Also BFD seems one of the largest library of live kits.

Sure more experienced people will jump to give you better advices and make it sound like LIVE :)

johndale
02-09-2006, 01:00 PM
I use NI Battery or Kontakt with assorted kit's. But you need MWS for that. So currently I'm using audio loops. There are many out there, Pro Drum Works seem's complete. I have some BetaMonkee and Performance loop's that do well. Problem is with audio loop's is you can only do so much with them. They all come in on one track, so you can't like compress your Bass drum seperate. I kind of work around that by copying the loops to other track's and using filter's. But I'm getting MWS within the next month as I like to have my different drum's and cymbals on seperate track's (individually). There is so much you can do then. I've had pro drummer's argue with me if my drum track's were real or not. You can adjust velocities and such so your bass and tom's don't sound like cardboard box's and your cymbals are crisp and clear. Also you can like put the downbeat a little forward or back and it doe's sound like a drummer, add's that human touch. I've heard both good and bad about DFH and BFD. However I'm wary of FX Expansion product's. As I've had trouble with them in the past.
John

Benje Graves
02-09-2006, 02:25 PM
I just purchased midi workshop and am about to download it. I will give some demo's a try and see what happens. I appreciate all the suggestions so far and would welcome any more.

Benje Graves
02-09-2006, 02:41 PM
Anybody using Steinbergs Groove Agent 2?

trock
02-09-2006, 02:53 PM
groove agent was subpar at best

i use Drums on demand. all loops from real drummer, easy to use, sounds superb. actually had my first song reviewed by a well known industry person who commented on how great my drummer was. had no idea they were loops

i build the song in ACID and then just import to track 1 in SAW

does not use any CPU that way.

i can build a whole song, intro, verses, fills, chorus's etc in an hour

www.drumsondemand.com

trock
02-09-2006, 02:54 PM
sorry should have told you this

if you want to hear some of my stuff with DOD my website is

www.artistsndreamers.com

there is an intro song that plays when you open the site, that is DOD

if you go to audio and click on the first song "flying blind" those are also DOD drums

that way you can hear and see if you like that.

Bob L
02-09-2006, 02:55 PM
I do drums using the MWS and simply program kicks and snares and hihats and cymbals and toms each on their own track using any number of drum samples in Kompakt or using a simple and inexpensive module like an old Alesis D4 or D5... these things sound great and there are plenty of different samples to choose from.

I find it much more realistic to be able to program each part of the drum kit separately and then copy and paste to creat repeating patterns for verses and choruses... etc... rather than attemp to use drum loop sample sets.

I also like the fact that the tracks follow whatever tempo changes I need without attempting to time compress... which really does mess with the sound more than suits my taste.

It's really very quick and easy to program in a kick pattern followed by a snare pattern and hihat... etc... I find it to be a lot easier than messing with fitting drum loop sample wav files into the song.

Bob L

Benje Graves
02-09-2006, 03:03 PM
Thanks Bob. I just bought and downloaded MWS. I've been a little out of the MIDI sequencer world for a while so it will take me a while to get going on it.

Benje Graves
02-09-2006, 03:03 PM
Also thanks to Trock. I will check that out

Bob L
02-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Make sure to read the entire helpfile for a look at how to work the interface... I have not had time to do any demo videos. Also... please do yourself the favor of setting up the F-Keys as described in the front of the helpfile as a start... you can then modify that later when you understand how it all connects.

Bob L

mako
02-09-2006, 09:37 PM
I've programmed midi drums for years. It's simple, fast and very easy to make key and tempo changes (as Bob stated) without messing up the whole song sound.

My main gripe area is lack of cymbal articulation and to remedy this I purchased a full kit last year with some very nice Sabian cymbals. It's been fun - I haven't played a kit for over 30 years.

I'll use these drums for my own songs from now on, but for my live backing tracks, I'll still use midi.

Midi for drums is much more flexible and, generally, faster.
Though I still use RM4 or Battery now and again (depending on the drum sound I want), I find BFD to be excellent - apart from the misfiring problem of the last few months.

For a quick way to get a basic drum track programmed, I'll start with Cubase's "Drum Editor", then import the track into MWS.

cheers

mako

Benje Graves
02-09-2006, 10:36 PM
ya, i'm going to spend some time with the MWS help file and figure things out. I ordered the BFD drum program today as well.

Thanks to all.....

BillyK
02-09-2006, 11:24 PM
I didnt see this existing thread when I posted elsewhere.. but since I have the attention of the drum experts in here I am wondering if anyone has tried to trigger Drumagog with MWS? I bought that program for drum replacement and it works quite well for that.. and I also bought a 3rd party disc of additional samples which sound great, but this program uses samples in their own "format" which instead of .wav is .gog ! I would like to take advantage of the nice sounds I already own but think I need to use Drumagog as a plugin and trigger it somehow. I was just wondering anyone has tried this and has any input before I start digging in .

Thanks
BillyK

johndale
02-10-2006, 02:27 AM
Billy did you get the Pro or the Basic? I've used the program (I prefer Battery) so I know a little bit about it. It matter's what version you have as the Basic does not have MIDI in/out. And you need to install it as a VST. Post back with any question's. I can help get you set up.
John

BillyK
02-10-2006, 09:18 AM
JohnDale:

I do have the "Pro" version of Drumagog and it is already installed as a VST plug-in.

Bill

johndale
02-10-2006, 12:43 PM
You should be in businesse Billy. When you strike a KB key does the choosen drum sound? What is Drumagog not doing that you wish? The sound files, not much you can do about the samples (that's one of the thousand reasons I use NI products, like battery because of the many formats they read). I have never heard of a converter for what you wish. Call their support, if there is a solution they I'm sure would know it.
John