PDA

View Full Version : OT: RME CardBus install not going so well

Dave Labrecque
02-09-2006, 06:32 PM
I was getting no sync indications in the Hammerfall DSP settings applet after installing the CardBus and hooking it to my Digiface. So I decided to try updating the driver. The newest driver needs the newest firmware loaded on the CardBus, so I went to update that. The little program that flashes the firmware seems to hang when I run it.

Any clues? :confused:

EDIT: I just noticed that it's sharing an IRQ (17) with the cardbus controller and network interface. Could that be the problem? If so, what can I do about that?

Bob L
02-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Not sure what you may be running into... never had any trouble installing a cardbus and DigiFace... did you make sure to set the RME driver to master rather than autosync.

Also... make sure you hook up the power supply to the DigiFace... from a laptop, you need the power supply... from a desktop PCI card, you don't need external power.

Bob L

Car 24
02-10-2006, 04:02 AM
The RME manual talks about updates hanging up. It has happened to me once. The manual says to keep trying the update and don't shut your computer off.

Good luck

Dave Labrecque
02-10-2006, 11:57 AM
The RME manual talks about updates hanging up. It has happened to me once. The manual says to keep trying the update and don't shut your computer off.

Good luck

Bob,

I didn't try master. I have the Digiface working as slave to my DA7 on my main (PCI) system. I figured it could work the same way for the laptop. I'll try switching and see what happens. Yes, I have the aux power plugged in.

Car,

I saw that. I guess I'll keep trying... :o

John Hernandez
02-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Don't know if it's your problem, Dave, but when I first got my Cardbus/Multiface, I had no communication between the two. Turned out to be a faulty cable. Got a new one and that solved the problem right quick.

HTH,

Dave Labrecque
02-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Don't know if it's your problem, Dave, but when I first got my Cardbus/Multiface, I had no communication between the two. Turned out to be a faulty cable. Got a new one and that solved the problem right quick.

HTH,
I was beginning to suspect that. But the thing is I used this same cable on a different laptop and it all worked fine.

The driver install looks good in XP. I tried setting it to Master as well as AutoSync. Nothing works. Sure seems like a cable, doesn't it? I wonder if I have another one around here...

EDIT: I borrowed my DVD burner's firewire cable (which I know works), and got the same thing: no sync. Actually, I should change that to say that according to the Digiface box, I have sync on the word clock input and ADAT inputs 1 and 2 (the only sycable stuff I have hooked up). But the Host Error light is NOT on. It's in the Hammerfall DSP applet that nothing shows as synced and for "I/O Box State" is says "Error". Also, the Digiface works fine with my main system's PCI card. Sounding more like something happened to the CardBus to me.

I sure hope I don't have to send this thing back to Germany. No offense, Veit. ;)

Bob L
02-10-2006, 04:10 PM
I'm curious when you say you swapped out to a standard firwire cable... the connection end on the cardbus is not standard by any means... how did you do that?

Bob L

Bill Park
02-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Why would you send it to Germany, with the US distributor in Boardman Ohio? Go to synax dot com and get the help that you need. Speak with George. These are all great guys... just players who could not understand why certain products had no representation in the US, products that they liked.. so....

Bill

DominicPerry
02-11-2006, 01:06 PM
Updating the firmware on a recent RME Cardbus card is safe because it has two copies of firmware (as long as it is a 'fat-ended' cardbus card with the standard firewire port, not the slim card with a weird flat cable connector). So you could use a different machine to flash it if it fails in your laptop. Sharing interrupts is not normally a problem - I couldn't stop mine from doing so.

Dominic

Dave Labrecque
02-11-2006, 01:14 PM
I'm curious when you say you swapped out to a standard firwire cable... the connection end on the cardbus is not standard by any means... how did you do that?

Bob L
Bob,

My understanding is that it uses a standard firewire cable. I thought I'd read it somewhere, and in fact I've used cables other than the ones that came with my interfaces (PCI and CardBus) successfully. One was too short, one was too long, so I used other cables.

My Sony DVD burner is using the cable that originally came with my Digiface.

Why do you think the CardBus connection is different than standard Firewire?

EDIT: Looks like Dominic has answered that one. You must have an older CardBus card that uses a different connector. :)

Dave Labrecque
02-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Updating the firmware on a recent RME Cardbus card is safe because it has two copies of firmware (as long as it is a 'fat-ended' cardbus card with the standard firewire port, not the slim card with a weird flat cable connector). So you could use a different machine to flash it if it fails in your laptop. Sharing interrupts is not normally a problem - I couldn't stop mine from doing so.

Dominic

Great info, Dominic, thanks. I'd read that the newer CardBus cards had some kind of protection, but this clarifies it for me.

Also, I guess this explains why Bob's not understanding my using a Firewire cable. He must have an older CardBus. :)

Dave Labrecque
02-11-2006, 01:37 PM
Why would you send it to Germany, with the US distributor in Boardman Ohio? Go to synax dot com and get the help that you need. Speak with George. These are all great guys... just players who could not understand why certain products had no representation in the US, products that they liked.. so....

Bill
Bill,

I didn't know there was U.S. assistance available. Are you saying they can do warranty work? I'll check it out. Thanks.

EDIT: After some detective work, it looks like you meant "synthax.com". I'll call 'em on Monday. Thanks again, Bill.

DominicPerry
02-11-2006, 02:37 PM
RME will still supply the 'older' style card so that you can squeeze two cards into two Cardbus slots - I think you can have one of each. Only the bigger card has two lots firmware.

I had to load newer firmware into the Cardbus card before I could upgrade the firmware in the Multiface. Is that what you are trying to do?

Dominic

Dave Labrecque
02-11-2006, 07:07 PM
I had to load newer firmware into the Cardbus card before I could upgrade the firmware in the Multiface. Is that what you are trying to do?

Dominic
Here's what I'm trying to do, in order of importance:

1 Get the dang CardBus to work on my new laptop
2 Update the firmware of the CardBus
3 Update the drivers for the Digiface

I'd like to think I could tackle all three.

I didn't know there was separate firmware for the Multiface/Digiface per se. Is that what you're saying?

Bill Park
02-11-2006, 07:49 PM
Here's what I'm trying to do, in order of importance:

1 Get the dang CardBus to work on my new laptop
2 Update the firmware of the CardBus
3 Update the drivers for the Digiface

I'd like to think I could tackle all three.

I didn't know there was separate firmware for the Multiface/Digiface per se. Is that what you're saying?

I don't know exactly what to tell you, as I have installed mine into several computers, and I have helped others set up their rigs, and each time it has been a no-brainer, no hassle process.

Have you read the manual? (sorry, as anoying as that question is, it is still relevant. In fact, I assumed that I knew what to do a couple of weeks ago in firing up the Frontier Designs Tranzport, and I was wrong, and I should have read the manual. I had to back out, and start from scratch.)

Have you spoken to the Synthax guys? Or gone to the support section of their website?

Bill

Dave Labrecque
02-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Bill,

Maybe I'll do it by the book just to be sure I'm not missing something.

Haven't contacted Synthax. Thought I'd wait till the weekend is over. Also, they appear to want to charge for tech support beyond the initial 30-day window, so I was thinking of going to them in the event of needing to fix or replace the cardbus under warranty.

John Hernandez
02-11-2006, 11:55 PM
I didn't know there was separate firmware for the Multiface/Digiface per se. Is that what you're saying?The firmware is the same for both, AFAIK.

Blessings,

Bob L
02-12-2006, 12:55 AM
Yes... my cardbus uses a very thin flat cable connector on the cardbus side... the other side looks like a standard firewire connector... I have installed at least a few dozen of these cards in laptops over the years and never once remember a problem.

Sorry you are having difficulty.

Bob L

Bill Park
02-12-2006, 05:02 AM
Bill,

Also, they appear to want to charge for tech support beyond the initial 30-day window, ...

Go to their forum. That is always free. And it is like this one in that guys from synthax post there, as well as guys from Magix and occasionally, RME. The RME newsgroup is an okay place to go, but you have to understand and be willing to deal with the German mindset without getting offended.

Bill

DominicPerry
02-12-2006, 05:54 AM
Dave,

I've only done this once and I had no hitches, so I can't remember too well, but...

You can update the firware in the Cardbus card without the Digiface/Multiface connected at all. If you'e had some problems, I suggest removing the old install. Do this by removing the card and then using the Windows Control Panel - 'Add/Remove Software' to remove all the old software which relates to the RME cards. Delete any directories of drivers and RME software we'll start again - download the latest drivers from the RME website. The files you need are :

from the section - HAMMERFALL DSP SERIES DRIVERS
Windows
fut_win_dsp.zip - the file inside this is hdsp_fut.exe
w2dsp_294.zip - various files inside this including hdsp32.inf. Make sure you unpack the contents of this zip file into a directory you can find.

Reboot after removing the software/drivers.
Plug in the Cardbus card. Windows should prompt you to install it. When it gets to the prompt to look for drivers choose 'browse' and find the directory with hdsp32.inf in it as mentioned above. Once the card is installed you can run the flash updater - hdsp_fut.exe. Then you can connect the Digiface/Multiface.
If you don't get the prompt to install the card, it means that you haven't removed it from your system properly - we may have to pull a couple of registry keys out and try again. If that's the case, I'll need to look on my other machine which used to have the Multiface installed (before I returned it and it got lost in the post). Give it a go and let me know what happens . Send me a PM if it's easier. I'm afraid we are in different time zones so there's a bit of a delay.

To clarify my earlier post, I had to update the firmware before I could update the drivers. The firmware is in the Cardbus card, the drivers may be in the Cardbus card or the Multi/Digiface or both. Or neither - it may be just a windows driver. But you can't install the latest drivers without the latest firmware. I've covered it all with the procedure above.

Hope this helps.

Dominic

DominicPerry
02-15-2006, 02:32 PM
David, did you get this fixed?

Dominic

Dave Labrecque
02-15-2006, 02:35 PM
David, did you get this fixed?

Dominic

Gee... thanks for your concern. :)

I've been busy with other stuff, but hope to get back to it soon. I'll letcha know fer sher! Anxious to try your step-by-step!

DominicPerry
02-15-2006, 02:57 PM
Dave, didn't mean to hassle you. Just wondering. :D

Dominic

Dave Labrecque
02-15-2006, 05:17 PM
Dave, didn't mean to hassle you. Just wondering. :D

Dominic

No worries. :)

Hey, Dominic... your post has me installing the latest driver, then the latest firmware, while you point out below that (correctly, I think) that the latest driver needs the latest firmware (for the driver to even be installed, I believe). I'll try it, but I think I already tried that. Let me see...

BTW, I did the first stuff: pulled out the CardBus, then uninstalled the RME software (hadn't tried that before -- I'd removed the driver in Device Manager -- this took care of the driver, too. Nice.) I rebooted, then stuck the CardBus in as you instucted, but nothing happened. I think RME says to stick the card in before turning on the computer, so I'll try that next. Back atcha soon...

DominicPerry
02-15-2006, 05:25 PM
Dave,

Yeh, I was confused by my own instructions too. But that was when they were the other way around! The problem is that you need some kind of windows driver to support the Cardbus Card before you can install the firmware. Then, once you've upgraded the firmware you can upgrade the drivers. Doesn't make much sense but if it's the firmware bit which is troublesome - the RME instructions say that you might have to repeatedly flash the firmware until it's successful. It's safe to do so with the 'fat' card.
It's frustrating trouble shooting these things when they normally go fine. Hope it works this time. Luckily my 'lost' Multiface has turned up (in Germany). I'll get it back in a few days. Then I might be a bit more help.

It might be that the old driver is needed until the firmware update is in place, but that replicates what you would have done already, which we know didn't work. I still hate computers.

Dominic

Dave Labrecque
02-15-2006, 05:34 PM
Dominic,

The plot thickens...

I rebooted and the computer still doesn't see the CardBus, which is sitting in it's little slot. It's crazy, man, crazy! :confused: No 'install new hardware' prompt at all. I wonder if the card is fried...

DominicPerry
02-15-2006, 06:00 PM
Dave,

One of the little apps in the driver zip should see the card. I think it's hdsp32.exe but it might be hdspmix.exe. You should get the familiar window (with the lack of sync info). It will stick an icon in the task bar in the bottom right corner of the screen. If you double click it it should open a window. If it won't open a window, it can't see a card.
You could try using device manager - see if the card appears with a yellow question mark next to it. If it does, at least it's partially working. Then you could use the 're-install driver' option and direct it to the directory with the hdsp32.inf in it. i suspect I'm not being much help here.

Dominic

Dave Labrecque
02-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Dominic,

UPDATE: there was a little yellow exclamation point by the RME driver in Device Manager. I started hdsp32.exe. The icon appeared in the tray. I double-clicked it and the app didn't open. Not seeing the card, I guess.

I disabled the troubled driver listing. I turned the laptop off. I restarted it with the card out. Turned it off. Restarted it with the card in. Hey... it sees it this time. Lemme try to load the drivers and report back...

DominicPerry
02-16-2006, 04:21 PM
Cool.............:cool:

Fingers crossed here.

Dominic

Bill Park
02-16-2006, 04:32 PM
weren't you able to get any help from Synthax?

Bill

Dave Labrecque
02-16-2006, 05:05 PM
weren't you able to get any help from Synthax?

Bill

Bill,

I've been busy and haven't been able to get back to this till today. I shoulda put a message on the board right away, but didn't. I just did. Let's see what they say.

I checked another dude's post. He was having what sounds like similar trouble: getting the red light on the digiface box (host error). Their response was to register his product and contact George. Well, I'm outside the 30 day window, but maybe I'll give that a shot, too...

Dave Labrecque
02-16-2006, 05:09 PM
Cool.............:cool:

Fingers crossed here.

Dominic

No luck. Same deal: Windows thinks it's working fine, but the Hammerfall window showed no link with the Digiface. I updated to the latest drivers. Then the Hammerfall app says I need the latest firmware. So I went to install that and had the same issue as before: I click on Update and it hangs with no progress indicated after minutes and minutes and minutes.

Might have to call Sweetwater and have them replace the CardBus. It sure seems like a hardware problem. I think I'll try my other laptop, just to be sure... :confused:

DominicPerry
02-16-2006, 05:17 PM
Dave,

I saw this with my new Multiface - host light on, no sync - until I upgraded it. So you're doing the right thing but it ain't working. I don't know what to suggest apart from repeatedly trying to upgrade the flash - it only takes about 10 seconds when it works, so you can have a go at trying repeatedly every 30 seconds.
Trying the other laptop would be best, for sure.

Sorry I can't help.

Dominic

Dave Labrecque
02-16-2006, 05:18 PM
OK... got a little more info. I stuck it in my old Win98 laptop and it works fine. If only that 'puter could record two tracks without glitching. Ha!

So, it's definitely something with my new laptop. Any ideas on what could be "in the way". Hardware? Software? OS? (XP Pro)

I'm ready to try anything...

DominicPerry
02-16-2006, 05:22 PM
There was a problem with some Cardbus controllers but I can't recall if it affected RME stuff. Glad the hardware's working, it helps to get that out of the way. Will it let you upgrade the firmware in Win98? That would be the best.
I'll just search for some Cardbus info. What laptop have you got?

Dominic

Ed Snape
02-16-2006, 05:22 PM
Can you update the firmware using the old laptop?

DominicPerry
02-16-2006, 05:24 PM
Looks like the flash updater is compatible with Win98.

DominicPerry
02-16-2006, 05:37 PM
There's a problem with the ENE Cardbus CD-1410 PCMCIA Controller. Got one of these? If so, there's a fix. Looks like an HP specific thing, but worth checking what cardbus controller you have - device manager should tell you.

Fix is below, XP/2000 only.

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqnk/us/download/18388.html

I remember now, these ENE controllers are rubbish for the Echo cards too. I'm a mine of useless information.

Dave Labrecque
02-16-2006, 06:06 PM
There's a problem with the ENE Cardbus CD-1410 PCMCIA Controller. Got one of these? If so, there's a fix. Looks like an HP specific thing, but worth checking what cardbus controller you have - device manager should tell you.

Fix is below, XP/2000 only.

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqnk/us/download/18388.html

I remember now, these ENE controllers are rubbish for the Echo cards too. I'm a mine of useless information.
Dominic,

Great info, thanks. The laptop is an Asus Z70Va. I'm searching the ASUS site but can't find anything specific about the cardbus controller. :mad:

Dominic and Ed,

Great idea. Let's see if I can flash the firmware on my other laptop. I'm not optimistic that'll fix the main problem, though. Which is that even with the install CD's driver, the card wasn't syncing to the Digiface. :(

I'll report back...

DominicPerry
02-16-2006, 06:08 PM
No, my install CD driver didn't work. Neither did the 'latest' update CD they slipped into the box. But the one on the website did.

I really think the sync problem will go if you can get the flash updated.

Dominic

Dave Labrecque
02-16-2006, 06:19 PM
No, my install CD driver didn't work. Neither did the 'latest' update CD they slipped into the box. But the one on the website did.

I really think the sync problem will go if you can get the flash updated.

Dominic

Well, good because Device Manager says the cardbus controller is a Ricoh. (I forgot you said just to look at DM, and I was searching all over Asus. :o)

Hopefully, this flash updater will work and all will be right with the world... :)

DominicPerry
02-16-2006, 06:24 PM
Good luck, must sleep now.

Dominic

Dave Labrecque
02-16-2006, 07:02 PM
Successssssssss! :D

Dominic, Ed... that was the ticket!

I flashed the CardBus on my old Win98 laptop. Went fine.

I stuck the CardBus into the new Asus and fired it up. Nuthin'. No drivers. No recognized new hardware. Nuthin'. That's odd... cuz there were drivers there before. Shut 'er down. Start 'er up again. New hardware recognized. Do the drill, install the newest drivers. Cool. Shut 'er down. Start 'er up. Looks okay. Check the Hammerfall control panel. We have sync, Houston! Did a quick test recording. The dang thing works. Woohoo!

Thanks everyone for your help, especially Dominic for bearing with me through the hard times. ;)

The mysteries remain... why didn't the CD driver install in the first place on the Asus? And why didn't the flash tool work on the Asus? :confused:

Special thanks to my dad for handing-me-down his old laptop last year. It saved the day. :)

Til the next crisis, I remain, humbly yours,

DominicPerry
02-17-2006, 03:05 AM
Excellent news Dave, pleased to be of some help.
Dunno why the flash updater wouldn't work on the Asus although I'm sure RME would be interested to hear about it.
The thing with Windows not seeing the cardbus card until you reboot seems to be quite common from what I've read, so I don't think that's a big deal and the original sync problem is also common - fixed by updating the flash and the drivers. So overall, just one weird problem leading to lots of trouble. Glad you can get on with some music now.:)

Dominic

Pedro Itriago
02-17-2006, 05:59 AM
Good thread! Inspiring, thrilling and with a nice ending. It was more exciting than watching xXx 2!:D

Dave Labrecque
02-17-2006, 11:55 AM
Good thread! Inspiring, thrilling and with a nice ending. It was more exciting than watching xXx 2!:D

We had it all... the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat (fortunately, not necessarily in that order). :)

Dave Labrecque
02-17-2006, 11:57 AM
Excellent news Dave, pleased to be of some help.
Dunno why the flash updater wouldn't work on the Asus although I'm sure RME would be interested to hear about it.
The thing with Windows not seeing the cardbus card until you reboot seems to be quite common from what I've read, so I don't think that's a big deal and the original sync problem is also common - fixed by updating the flash and the drivers. So overall, just one weird problem leading to lots of trouble. Glad you can get on with some music now.:)

Dominic

Good points. A singular nemesis, then. See ya 'round the forum... :)

Mark Stebbeds
02-17-2006, 12:03 PM
We had it all... the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat (fortunately, not necessarily in that order). :)

Strong character development and plot twists as well.

Mark

Dave Labrecque
02-17-2006, 12:13 PM
Strong character development and plot twists as well.

Mark

I give it two thumbs up my a$$. :o

(Did I say that out loud?)