PDA

View Full Version : UAD-1 Bug

Dingo
07-28-2004, 07:22 AM
Bob,
I've noticed that whenever I have a project that uses my UAD-1 card after a few minutes (10-15) the mixer disappers. all of the other windows are fine but all of the channels in the mixer are gone. I can still see the outline of the mixer window, but nothing in it. The only way out of this is to restart saw. not a huge deal but it does get inconvenient. This has happened with the latest UAD_1 drivers as well as the previous release. Same is true with saw basic, current release and previous release too.
Thanks,
Dave

Naturally Digital
07-28-2004, 11:22 AM
FWIW, I've noticed this in recent days (I'm not on 3.8 yet) also.

I'm NOT running the UAD-1.

I recently installed a bunch of dir-X plugs which I plan to remove soon. I assumed it had something to do with that but who knows...

Dave.

MMP
07-28-2004, 01:40 PM
How much memory are you guys running?

Sounds like you are running out to me.

MM

Dingo
07-28-2004, 01:50 PM
512 here.

MMP
07-28-2004, 03:36 PM
That may be enough...it really depends on how many plugin dlls are being loaded. All the plugins are loaded into memory AFAIK, even if you aren't using them...so, if you have several hundred, 512 might be borderline.

MM

Bob L
07-28-2004, 05:55 PM
My first thought would be memory limits also... so I wonder if something has changed with the new UAD stuff in that more memory is demanded and now there is a limit being reached in Windows as you move around inside the code for a while and memory starts getting absorbed do to memory management or memory leaks.

I will check into any possible memory leaks that might be caused in my new update... but so far, that has not been noticed here... but anything is possible when new updates are released.... it gets pretty easy to focus on one area of the code and trash another area. :)

Bob L

Naturally Digital
07-28-2004, 07:35 PM
I'll check memory usage in taskmanager and report back, if it happens again.

I'm running 512 also.

Dave.

AudioAstronomer
07-28-2004, 10:24 PM
I had a similiar problem, and also cured A LOT of my other mysterious probelms Ive had lately by turning off region memory caching.... With it on, SAWStudio would be trying to grab nearly twice the ram I have in some large projects cause lots and lots of weird things to happen (as Ive reported heh)

canipus
07-28-2004, 10:59 PM
so I wonder if something has changed with the new UAD stuff
================================================

I was talking to a dealer about the new UAD package and he was under the impression that they had changed the DSP card (having put it through a cost reduction exercise.) He implied the card was functionally similar to the older one but different in components. Maybe they reduced on board ram in the ASIC to reduced the wafer footprint and hence reduce the cost of the die? RAM geometries utilise a lot of die space.

Canipus.

earthpig
07-28-2004, 11:31 PM
The only difference between the new and old uad-1 cards is the amount of plugins that get shipped with it. Its cheaper on the entry level package because you now have to pay for all the extra plugins if you want them.
Also as far as I am aware the uad-1 plugins dont use the host memory, they only use the memory on board the uad-1 card.

http://www.uaudio.com/products/digital/projectpak/index.html

I doubt it very much that all plugins are loaded into memory before being used.
This would result in saw turning into complete bloatware, and since saw is supposed to be fast and lightweight I am very suprised at people struggling with 512mb of memory. This should be fine unless you are working on a large project.
Then again you can never have enough memory. :)

AudioAstronomer
07-29-2004, 01:15 AM
The only difference between the new and old uad-1 cards is the amount of plugins that get shipped with it. Its cheaper on the entry level package because you now have to pay for all the extra plugins if you want them.
Also as far as I am aware the uad-1 plugins dont use the host memory, they only use the memory on board the uad-1 card.

http://www.uaudio.com/products/digital/projectpak/index.html

I doubt it very much that all plugins are loaded into memory before being used.
This would result in saw turning into complete bloatware, and since saw is supposed to be fast and lightweight I am very suprised at people struggling with 512mb of memory. This should be fine unless you are working on a large project.
Then again you can never have enough memory. :)

If you are using convolution reverbs, certain EQ's and especially synthesizers using large wavetables, or samplers.... Ram can get sucked up very, very quickly.

Jesse Skeens
07-29-2004, 02:58 AM
I solved my UAD problems by selling mine :)

Dingo
07-29-2004, 06:10 AM
I solved my UAD problems by selling mine Good one!

I had a similiar problem, and also cured A LOT of my other mysterious probelms Ive had lately by turning off region memory caching How do you do that?

Bob L
07-29-2004, 10:21 AM
In many cases, plugins will load memory when initialized.

Some plugs... especially virtual synths, will load all samples into memory... some can use 100's of megabytes before you even play a note. :)

Not sure if memory issues is the problem on your system... but definitely something to consider.

My Region memory caching routine should definitely be turned OFF unless you have 1gb or more of physical ram. It will only ask for and use up to the total physical memory, and still leave some extra for other program use... but of course, Windows may step in and take charge with all its wisdom and make SS feel there is more ram than there is... and tell other plugins and programs the same... such that everybody feels they have all the ram they need... oh well. :)

Ram is pretty inexpensive these days... and one of the first things I would recommend expanding on for a DAW.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
07-29-2004, 11:09 AM
Then again you can never have enough memory.
I'm sorry. What did you say?

AudioAstronomer
07-29-2004, 12:13 PM
Strange Bob. I have over 1gb and windows still liked to mess with me with region memory caching on.... Big time. Ive only started noticing it most in this particular metal project, where one of the songs is 12 minutes long, 31 tracks and multiple layers for most tracks... and the shortest song is 7 minutes, 27 tracks, ever track having 2 or more layers. Yikes :)

Then again most of the projects are huge anyways, so... Perhaps its time for more (faster, muhaha!) ram.

Bob L
07-29-2004, 08:33 PM
Robert,

With projects like that, the Region Memory caching would probably be exercising ram that you never normally access... question... was all the ram put in at the same time from one batch purchase... or was the ram upgraded at a later time from different manufacturers and of course different batches?

If the latter is the case... I would suggest the proverbial ram interaction problem that most people want to deny really exists... but trust me... it does... and if the ram is not all the same batch, purchased at the same time... you may want to consider a fresh batch... put in all at the same time... you may be surprised.

Your random symptoms sound exactly like a mismatched ram problem... or at least I would consider that.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
07-29-2004, 09:38 PM
Robert,

With projects like that, the Region Memory caching would probably be exercising ram that you never normally access... question... was all the ram put in at the same time from one batch purchase... or was the ram upgraded at a later time from different manufacturers and of course different batches?

If the latter is the case... I would suggest the proverbial ram interaction problem that most people want to deny really exists... but trust me... it does... and if the ram is not all the same batch, purchased at the same time... you may want to consider a fresh batch... put in all at the same time... you may be surprised.

Your random symptoms sound exactly like a mismatched ram problem... or at least I would consider that.

Bob L

Yeah. Im certainly going to do that :)

It is only one stick of kingston though (1g) heh. I put this particular one in when I first started noting problems, thinking it was a mismatched pair... Im starting to think it could be a motherboard problem as well... either way its certainly not software. Im looking probabaly to just get a new motherboard and 2g's

Naturally Digital
07-29-2004, 09:38 PM
I recently installed a bunch of dir-X plugs which I plan to remove soon. I assumed it had something to do with that but who knows...

Dave.
Well, I uninstalled the DX plugins today and mixed for 4 hours straight tonight. I didn't even close/open the EDL I was working on.

Not once did I experience the blank mixer window problem.

Dave.

Perry
07-30-2004, 02:12 AM
I'm sorry. What did you say?

It took me a second (long day).... but that's pretty funny Dave! :)

What? ;)