PDA

View Full Version : On the subject of record meters and F-keys

UpTilDawn
02-24-2006, 06:15 PM
I used to use two laptops hooked with my TCP/IP host remote mode, because it has been increasingly hard to find a laptop with 2 cardbus slots.

The rig I just described is a small Micro ATX case with 2 PCI RME cards in it... I also used dual monitors to allow me to spread things out a bit while doing the recordings and monitoring at the same time.

I use the feature of programming specific size Record Panel window views into my F-Keys so I can press an F-Key to see as many record meters stretched out at once... which pretty much cover both screens... but then another press of other F-Keys, size the Record Meter panels down to 2 or 4 channels, leaving plenty of screen real-estate for the mixer and multitrack views.... a great way to work.... easy to jump around and adjust mix settings... and then instantly jump back to see my record meters all spread out.

Bob L

I am often cramped for space when I record location jobs, so I almost always use one monitor. Also, the monitor on my protable rig (a lunchbox design, which allows me to use standard atx, ide, pci parts) is restricted to 1024x768 as its highest resolution.

Bob, is there any possibility that you might design the record meters to be stackable as they fill up space across the screen? Even though I can currently scroll through the meters, this could really be a helpful option.

DanT

sstillwell
02-24-2006, 07:06 PM
I know that it would be a HUGE change...but I'd agree. My laptop is 1024 x 768 max...works ok now, but multiple rows would make it more survivable.

Scott

Bob L
02-24-2006, 07:45 PM
Even at 768, the meters won't stack effectively... you have to get to a larger screen res... its as simple as that.

Otherwise... utilize the collapsing Record Window F-Key feature to fill your screen, then collapse them in order to tweak some controls.

You can scrol thru the meters in a small window using the wheel mouse... it makes things easier.

Other than that... get up to at least 1280 x 1024.

Bob L

UpTilDawn
02-24-2006, 11:20 PM
I figured you might say something like that.
Sounds like you have worked out a real nice portable rig Bob.
I really like my current system and it's only two years old (or so)...
If there was only a way I could update my monitor without scrapping the entire system... or spending lots of cash that's needed elsewhere at the moment.

The current method of scrolling with the mouse and using different f-key record meter views works okay... and I suppose I could always start lugging around a second monitor since I have a dual monitor vga card... But I just finally got my load reduced from five boxes of stuff to three (when I don't need to supply mics and cables).... sigh.:rolleyes:

DanT