PDA

View Full Version : New Posts?

Craig Allen
05-24-2004, 03:16 PM
I hate to sound stupid, but how do you clear a post from showing as new? I've read several posts several times, but they always still show as new. Cookies are enabled, and I am logged in, so what's the deal?

Bob L
05-24-2004, 03:37 PM
Jeanne is looking into it further, but try using the Log Out option when you exit... then when you come back in the messages you read should be cleared... this is working good for me...

I've also noted that you can use the NEW POSTS option at the top and when you are finished, you can manually use the MARK FORUM READ option.

Bob L

Jeanne Quinn
05-24-2004, 05:45 PM
Hi!

Threads are marked read when:

1. The user logs out
or
2. The user's session expires (currently set for 15 minutes)
or
3. The user clicks on 'Mark all forums read'

Hope this helps! In checking with the developers of this newsgroup software, they are in the planning stages of a revised post read system so we'll see what nice changes come in the next update!

Jeanne Quinn

Craig Allen
05-24-2004, 06:34 PM
Thanks, Jeanne and Bob, for the responses. I think there is a bug, however. You may want to let Jelsoft know when you read a new thread with no replies for the first time, it is no longer shown as a new thread when you return to the board, but when you read a thread with one or more replies that is being displayed as new, it's still shown as new when you return to the board. It seems like the last version was better in that regard.

Jeanne Quinn
05-24-2004, 10:39 PM
Thanks, Craig.

I have a support request into the developer to see if there's anything I'm overlooking with the admin setup, or if this is something that will be improved upon with upcoming revisions.

I'll let you know when I hear back from them!

Jeanne Quinn

Jeanne Quinn
05-27-2004, 12:18 PM
Hi Craig,

We ran a reindex and repair on the newsgroup database. This appears to have corrected the situation on the one machine here I was able to duplicate the problem on. Let me know if your messages are now appropriately being marked read.

Also, keep in mind that the messages will be marked as read during your current session while you are logged in, but are not actually cleared until you either log out, you click "Mark all forums read", or your user session expires (15 minutes).

Hope this does the trick! :)

Thanks,
Jeanne

AudioAstronomer
05-27-2004, 12:45 PM
New Posts are not clearing for me now as well. I have to manually mark as read, before today it was automatic. using Opera 7.5.

Craig Allen
05-27-2004, 06:16 PM
It's working like a champ over here now, thanks Jeanne! That's odd, however, that it's not working for you now, AudioAstronomer. I'm on IE6, and it only started working today. I'll have to play around with Mozilla when I get a chance.

Jeanne Quinn
05-27-2004, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the reports, guys. It looks like things have cleared up for IE, but the vBulletin developers have discovered a possible bug with Opera and Mozilla browsers. They are working on it now, and I'll keep you posted on the progress!

-Jeanne

Jeanne Quinn
05-28-2004, 12:02 AM
Okay! Everything should be functioning properly now.

Here is a quick overview of how the 'read' post feature works:

By default, I have registered users set to view threads with the newest posts at the top of the thread. If you prefer oldest messages to show up at the top, this setting may be overridden by selecting a different option under the User CP | Edit Options | Thread Display Mode.

When you click a thread link with new posts from the main index, that thread will be marked as read when you return to the index.

Now, on threads with 10 or more posts, this won't be triggered until you actually view the last new post. In the oldest first view, this would be on the last page; in newest first, the first page.

When I log in to the newsgroup, I see all threads with new posts at the top of the list. I simply start at the top by clicking the little blue square with the arrow next to each thread to display the first unread posts. As I read, each thread is marked read. To return to the main list of threads, I click the "SAWStudio" link in the top left corner where it says 'SAWStudio User Group > SAWStudio'. This takes me quickly back to the list to get the next unread post.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions at all.

Thanks,
Jeanne