PDA

View Full Version : OT: Outlook 2000 won't start after XP SP2 update

Dave Labrecque
02-28-2006, 01:15 PM
Actually, it looks like it opens for a millisecond and then disappears -- a quick flash of the program's borders. This behavior began right after I installed XP SP2. D'oh!

Does anyone have any idea how to go about fixing this?

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling both Outlook and Office a couple times. Maybe I should uninstall SP2 (though, I thought I'd read that you can't). No, I did not have System Restore turned on.

I've searched the Web but have found nothing of help. Tried MS Knowledgebase, too. Can't really find anything like what I'm experiencing. :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really need Outlook!

Thanks.

Mark Stebbeds
02-28-2006, 01:23 PM
I really need Outlook!

No, you don't. You need Thunderbird.

Mark

Mark Stebbeds
02-28-2006, 01:28 PM
Jacob's Creek or Lindemanns is better.

But those cost more than fifty cents a gallon. Do they stll make Ripple?

Mark

olzzon
02-28-2006, 02:48 PM
All i can say is that if microsoft was selling Cars, i´m sure that you would have to change the motor every time you change the oil, and because of a new interface you would also need to update the seats in the car as they because of a new standard no longer fits with the new motor, unfortunately that means that the wheel need to be changed because they made a new smart feature that by it self check if they need air, and that engine are also connected to the system that check whether your seatbelts are on or not.
Btw, don´t take the seatbelt on the right frontseat on before the left one, as this may sometimes open the motorhelmet if you happen to have a dog on the backseat and it´s raining.
And every time you start the motor you have to sign the Microsoft enduser agreement.
The great thing about the car is that the driver license only have to be renewed every third year or so, as the interface will be changed completely by every new update.

Mark Stebbeds
02-28-2006, 03:51 PM
All i can say is that if microsoft was selling Cars, i´m sure that you would have to change the motor every time you change the oil...

Microsoft doesn't sell cars...the profit margin is far too slim as compared to software, which has a profit margin of about 90% in the quantities MS distibutes.

Mark

Dave Labrecque
02-28-2006, 04:58 PM
If you haven't already, try running 'Windows Update'.
It will often include new versions that run with the new Service Packs when you update. It may even give you an update to Outlook.
Bill Gates scans your computer, and suggests some downloads.
He's a helpful little gnome.

Did that. Actually, that's what got me into this mess! I'm completely updated. I updated Office to the gills as well. Nothing's helping.

Anyway... I found an MS page on how to uninstall SP2 (they give several suggestions, since apparently no one of 'em works very consistently). I'd hate to have to go there, but if I must...

I'm still all ears if anyone has an idea what might be crashing Outlook 2000 the instant I open it...

What hath become of this thread? Geeze, I log off for a couple hours and you kids get out of hand...

Bob L
02-28-2006, 05:33 PM
Dave,

Something none of us ever want to hear... but I have found it much easier and much less time in many instances to simply backup my imporatant data... clean the drive and reinstall Windows fresh... reinstall my important programs and I can be up and running in a few hours rather than days and days of trial and error and internet searches and downloads and updates and installs and so forth... It seems to be pretty consistent... when Windows gets messed up... not only may a new install be the only solution... but in most cases in my experience... the simplest and fastest solution. :)

Bob L

Jay Q
03-01-2006, 12:50 AM
Dave, have you tried logging in under a different user account and installing Outlook (Office)? If not, create a new user account with admin privileges, then install Office and see if you can start Outlook. If it works on the new account, you should then see if you can completely remove any traces of Office from your system, including the registry (Add/Remove Programs will often leave registry entries, especially if it's MS stuff). You can try to do this by hand, but with MS stuff, it's just sprinkled all over the registry, and that might be tricky (and definitely tedious), but it's worth a try. There's some software whose name escapes me that will remove software from your system entirely. Maybe you could look into that. After you're satisfied that it's been removed, try installing again.

BTW, will other Office apps start/run okay?

Jay

Mark Stebbeds
03-01-2006, 11:14 AM
Did that. Actually, that's what got me into this mess! I'm completely updated. I updated Office to the gills as well. Nothing's helping.

This will fix it.

www.mozilla.com

For MS office compatible docs..

www.openoffice.org

Dave Labrecque
03-01-2006, 01:45 PM
Dave,

Something none of us ever want to hear... but I have found it much easier and much less time in many instances to simply backup my imporatant data... clean the drive and reinstall Windows fresh... reinstall my important programs and I can be up and running in a few hours rather than days and days of trial and error and internet searches and downloads and updates and installs and so forth... It seems to be pretty consistent... when Windows gets messed up... not only may a new install be the only solution... but in most cases in my experience... the simplest and fastest solution. :)

Bob L
Hi Bob,

Funny you should say that. I'm "this close" to doing just that. It's probably due, anyway. I've installed so many codecs and little free programs and stuff. There are a few issues that I've been working around for a while... But pretty tough to work around a program that crashes on startup. ;)

Dave Labrecque
03-01-2006, 01:49 PM
Dave, have you tried logging in under a different user account and installing Outlook (Office)? If not, create a new user account with admin privileges, then install Office and see if you can start Outlook. If it works on the new account, you should then see if you can completely remove any traces of Office from your system, including the registry (Add/Remove Programs will often leave registry entries, especially if it's MS stuff). You can try to do this by hand, but with MS stuff, it's just sprinkled all over the registry, and that might be tricky (and definitely tedious), but it's worth a try. There's some software whose name escapes me that will remove software from your system entirely. Maybe you could look into that. After you're satisfied that it's been removed, try installing again.

BTW, will other Office apps start/run okay?

Jay

Jay,

Thanks for the ideas. All the other Office programs open fine. I'm not sure it's worth the inconvenience of having to log on as another user to use Outlook. I've now installed it on my laptop, so I'm covered till I've got the main system install figured out.

Dave Labrecque
03-01-2006, 01:53 PM
This will fix it.

www.mozilla.com (http://www.mozilla.com)

For MS office compatible docs..

www.openoffice.org (http://www.openoffice.org)

Perhaps you have an alternate DAW you'd recommend as well? :)

I've considered other office software before, I just DO NOT like the learning curve for so many of the details. It's a real "time sink" for me. I'd much rather be unable to access my software at all. :p

Mark Stebbeds
03-01-2006, 02:18 PM
I've installed so many codecs and little free programs and stuff.

Didn't you get the memos?

Mark

Jay Q
03-01-2006, 02:32 PM
I'm not sure it's worth the inconvenience of having to log on as another user to use OutlookDave, I guess I wasn't clear. What I was suggesting was a troubleshooting method. If you can run it under a different user login, that implies that there's some conflict or something weird going on with some settings, possibly in the registry, under your current user account. So, if you were able to do that, I was suggesting that you then attempt to remove all traces of Office from you system, then reinstall. I know, it sounds daunting. I wish I could remember the name of that removal software.

Anyway, good luck, and let us know if you figure it out.

Jay

Mark Stebbeds
03-01-2006, 02:37 PM
I've considered other office software before, I just DO NOT like the learning curve for so many of the details. It's a real "time sink" for me. I'd much rather be unable to access my software at all. :p

In the case of the ones I recommended, there is little or no learning curve, and the benefits far outweigh any little differences that are easily found in the pull down menus. The standard windows commands pervail.

I'm not going to recommend another DAW, but will say that the move from MS Office to OO, is about a zillion percent easier than the move from any DAW to SS, in terms of common keyboard commands and learning curve.

Since they are open source, free, and unobtrusive to your system, I recommend trying them before casting judgement. I think you will be quite pleased.

MS Office and Outlook are the two biggest virus magnets on the planet because of their common files easily hacked. You will immediately notice a total lack of pop up windows with Firefox, far more control over cookies, incredible improvement in local spam and junk mail filtering with Thunderbird, and incredible MS Office compatiblity with Open Office. I exchange docs invisibly every day with corporate MS Office users.

The typical problems encountered with MS products and upgrades disappeared immediately when I swithched over years ago, and never looked back. It is unlikely that your mileage would vary.

Mark

Dave Labrecque
03-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Didn't you get the memos?

Mark

Yeah... you mean the ones that said "Try this free program!" and "Don't worry, all we want to do it give you free software that makes you a happier person!" ? Yeah, I got 'em. Why do you ask?

Dave Labrecque
03-01-2006, 02:48 PM
Dave, I guess I wasn't clear. What I was suggesting was a troubleshooting method. If you can run it under a different user login, that implies that there's some conflict or something weird going on with some settings, possibly in the registry, under your current user account. So, if you were able to do that, I was suggesting that you then attempt to remove all traces of Office from you system, then reinstall. I know, it sounds daunting. I wish I could remember the name of that removal software.

Anyway, good luck, and let us know if you figure it out.

Jay

Gotcha. Sorry, I guess if I'd thought about what you were saying for half a second, this would've been obvious. Now... how to chase down those registry settings without your miracle program? Daunting, indeed! :)

Dave Labrecque
03-01-2006, 02:53 PM
Mark,

OK, I'm intrigued.

Let's see... Things in Outlook that I'd be loath to go without:

Email
Contacts
Calendar
Notes
syncronizability with my Treo (Palm OS) -- for all of the above

How we lookin'?

Jay Q
03-01-2006, 03:12 PM
Mark,

OK, I'm intrigued.

Email
Contacts
Calendar
Notes

How we lookin'?I, too, practically live off of Outlook. In addition to Dave's "required" list, I'd add Tasks and Reminders -- the ability to have a one-stop shop where I can have task/meeting reminders pop up at whatever time I choose is essential. Mark, if you (or anyone) know of an app that does that plus the stuff Dave mentioned, please let us know. I'll gladly drop Outlook if something else does what it does as well as it does (as much as I'm annoyed by MS, Outlook pretty much rocks).

Jay

P.S. Dave, in case you're considering upgrading, Outlook 2003 has some nice improvements. My two faves are:
1) Single-window reminders. This is such a blessing for me because I live off of reminders. I easily have 20 at a time, and if you use these, you know how annoying it can become having reminder windows all over your screen/taskbar. Now, they simply show up in a list.
2) Surprisingly good spam filtering. It occasionally catches things that my ISP and domain mail miss, and I've literally only had one or two false positives.

Mark Stebbeds
03-01-2006, 05:04 PM

Email
Contacts
Calendar
Notes

How we lookin'?

There is a calander and tasks option/plug-in for Thunderbird, Firefox and Mozilla suite, although I don't use it.

I don't use Treo either, but I found something on the Mozilla site regarding syncing your address book with Palm OS. I suggest you find one of the many Mozilla forums and ask a question or two. I'm happy with my Razr phone. I just plugged in the important phone numbers. Back In Black baby, and I don't care about the email, but it's there if I need it.

This stuff is open source. New features and tools and betas are created regularly by developers all over the world, but the basic features are rock solid and time tested and debugged.

I keep a copy of IE on my computer, but never use it, with the exception of the rare occasion that I stumble on a site that is limited to recognizing IE, either by poor design, or by intent of a MS controlled entity.

For a long time, I kept a copy of MS Office 2000 as well, until one day I when I blew out the hard drive and reinstalled the OS. I didn't bother putting it back on, and haven't found the need. If you already own MS Office, you can leave it on your machine, and it can act as a "go between" until you become comfortable with OO.

Mark

Dave Labrecque
03-01-2006, 10:08 PM
Maybe I'll take a look at the Palm interoperability and we'll see. Thanks for the info. I do like the idea of not being locked into the MS upgrade path (at some point, I expect my vintage of MS Office to become too old to be useful).

Dave Labrecque
03-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Dave!

Once, I had a problem with Office. I backed up my personal Office files (Outlook, etc. since I didn't want to lose Contacts, etc.), and changed the name of the folder. Then, I did a total reinstall of Office. When I was sure it all worked again, I simply relaced the new Office-created file with my old set, and I was back in business.

Stash,

What folder did you change the name of? (Is it actually wrong to end a sentence with a preposition? I've always wondered...)

I did actually uninstall and re-install Office (I was too lazy to backup any files and just trusted Office to leave the data files intact.) Would your way be more thorough?

Dave Labrecque
03-01-2006, 10:33 PM
Jay,

Yes, tasks and reminders are important, too. Thanks for the reminder. (ding!)

Man, non-audio software doesn't ever seem to get very high on my wish list. But maybe I'll sell the Millenia and pick up the new Office suite. :p

Mark Stebbeds
03-02-2006, 09:25 AM
Mark!

I understand going with systems, that may be easier, newer, cheaper or cooler, but some people just want to get the stuff they already have and like to work.

The concept isn't "newer, cheaper, or cooler", but superior performance without being attached to the hip to MS, with constant upgrades.

Having been an Outlook and MS Office user for years, I can't believe I resisted change for so long.

The stuff just works better.

Mark

Ian Alexander
03-02-2006, 09:56 AM
What folder did you change the name of? (Is it actually wrong to end a sentence with a preposition? I've always wondered...)

No, it isn't wrong.

Winston Churchill is often quoted as saying, "Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put!" or similar. Actually, Churchill is believed to have criticized an editor who clumsily rearranged one of Churchill's sentences to avoid ending with a preposition. So, he scribbled a mocking response something like, "This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put." Then there is some evidence that this story pre-dates Churchill, so who knows. http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/churchill.html

The upshot is that there is no rule against ending an English sentence with a preposition, although there is in Latin. Here is a pretty clear explanation: http://www.grammartips.homestead.com/prepositions1.html

And here ends the lesson.:cool:

Naturally Digital
03-02-2006, 10:03 AM
The concept isn't "newer, cheaper, or cooler", but superior performance without being attached to the hip to MS, with constant upgrades.

Having been an Outlook and MS Office user for years, I can't believe I resisted change for so long.

The stuff just works better.

MarkI'm firmly in the same camp as Mark on this one and I'm gradually changing over. The one holdout on Thunderbird has been the lack of calender functions up to outlook standards (not that I think it should be added, mind you). I've found an app that I plan to move to shortly that blows most calenders out of the water anyway.

http://www.thecalendarplanner.com/default.asp

Mark Stebbeds
03-02-2006, 10:18 AM
No, it isn't wrong.

Winston Churchill is often quoted as saying, "Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put!" or similar.

Anyone from the midwest, particulary near Michigan or Canada knows that it makes perfect sense.

"Where's my coat at?" is perfectly normal. So is "where are you going to?"

Mark

Mark Stebbeds
03-02-2006, 10:20 AM
The one holdout on Thunderbird has been the lack of calender functions up to outlook standards (not that I think it should be added, mind you). I've found an app that I plan to move to shortly that blows most calenders out of the water anyway.

http://www.thecalendarplanner.com/default.asp

I'll check that one out.

I've seen several posts on the Mozilla site about a calander add on that works with eihter Mozilla suite, Tbird, and Firebox, but I've never tried it.

Mark

Pedro Itriago
03-02-2006, 10:23 AM
I think you got it wrong. I think it's something like "Where are you going to, hey?

Anyone from the midwest, particulary near Michigan or Canada knows that it makes perfect sense.

"Where's my coat at?" is perfectly normal. So is "where are you going to?"

Mark

Mark Stebbeds
03-02-2006, 10:24 AM
I think you got it wrong. I think it's something like "Where are you going to, hey?

Pedro, Pedro, Pedro....

Everyone knows there is no "h" in 'ey.

Mark

Pedro Itriago
03-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Apparently, me not ey? Must be because of being in Germany now.

Pedro, Pedro, Pedro....

Everyone knows there is no "h" in 'ey.

Mark

Mark Stebbeds
03-02-2006, 10:56 AM
Apparently, me not ey? Must be because of being in Germany now.

Beauty. Now take off, you hoser.

Mark

Mark Stebbeds
03-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Dave can't read his email.

We know. The odds of this happening again will lessen greatly with a more robust, less update dependant and virus attracting app.

Mark

Jay Q
03-02-2006, 04:22 PM
Everyone knows there is no "h" in 'ey.Everyone knows there is no "y" in 'eh. ;)

Jay

Dave Labrecque
03-02-2006, 04:27 PM
No, it isn't wrong.

Winston Churchill is often quoted as saying, "Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put!" or similar. Actually, Churchill is believed to have criticized an editor who clumsily rearranged one of Churchill's sentences to avoid ending with a preposition. So, he scribbled a mocking response something like, "This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put." Then there is some evidence that this story pre-dates Churchill, so who knows. http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/churchill.html (http://www.wsu.edu/%7Ebrians/errors/churchill.html)

The upshot is that there is no rule against ending an English sentence with a preposition, although there is in Latin. Here is a pretty clear explanation: http://www.grammartips.homestead.com/prepositions1.html

And here ends the lesson.:cool:

Wow. Asked and I have received. :)

Thanks for the info, Ian. That will really speed up my conversational abilities, not having to re-arrange sentences in real-time. :D