PDA

View Full Version : OT: CD burn software?

trock
03-06-2006, 04:48 PM
I know there have been a bunch of threads on this and i did search but was wondering again what you might be using for CD burning software? i was looking at Nero?

any thoughts?

thanks

DominicPerry
03-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Realplayer will do it for free. But it may sound rubbish. Sadly I have cloth ears, so I can't tell.

Dominic

Demodave
03-06-2006, 08:59 PM
I swear by Nero. But for now, stick with 6.6. The new 7.0 still has a few bugs which make it a bad choice in a professional environment.

Version 6.6 works perfectly though for Audio CD and Data CD backups.

Craig Allen
03-06-2006, 09:46 PM
Exact Audio Copy - it's free and works well. http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

studio-c
03-06-2006, 11:31 PM
Nero and CD Architect. CDA is really good for the new things like when you want CD text, but it's CD Audio only. Nero does all the fancy schmancy stuff. That's the technical term. But multimode, etc., which is also helpful nowadays, as well as burning data files. I use them both for different purposes. Sort of like SawStudio and SoundForge. Both are really good at their specialty, and respected in their class.

Carl G.
03-07-2006, 08:55 AM
Nero and CD Architect. CDA is really good for the new things like when you want CD text, but it's CD Audio only. Nero does all the fancy schmancy stuff. That's the technical term. But multimode, etc., which is also helpful nowadays, as well as burning data files. I use them both for different purposes. Sort of like SawStudio and SoundForge. Both are really good at their specialty, and respected in their class.

Roxio has worked well for me, as well as Plextor's Plextools.

TotalSonic
03-07-2006, 09:11 AM
For CD Audio I am using the JMS Audioware CSG within SAWStudio and then burning the generated cue sheet with Nero 6 (I've also used Exact Audio Copy to burn generated cue sheets with good success too). I use Nero 6 for data backups and the rare Enhanced CD that comes my way.

I also have Sony CDA 5 - and while I much much prefer doing layouts and processing for CD Audio masters in SAW with the JMS CSG, I do like CDA for quick resequencing jobs - but when trying to update to 5.2 (which gives support for CD Text) on my Win2k computer I ran into all kinds of problems (which even wiped out my access to most of my Sony DX plugins) that even an hour on the line with their tech support were still unresolved. I haven't had patience or time yet to try and resolve these problems yet so I've kind of abandoned it. At this point I am trying to minimize my useage of any app that requires activation schemes - especially ones that have poorly coded update installers! - and now that Sonoris have come out with a time compress/expand plugin that sounds to my ear a lot better than Sony's - I have reduced my useage of Sony products to their NR2.0 suite as I find the DeClick plugin to be one of the better ones out there (I usually use Virtos for broadband nr instead of Sonys DeNoise though).

I've been interested in demo-ing out Gear Pro Mastering - http://www.gearsoftware.com/products/gearpromastering.cfm - as at $400 it is the least expensive app that has DDP image support on PC that I've found (I used to use Sonic Solutions "Classic" at my old work place for the rare request for DDP but no longer have access or desire to use Sonic) - but for some reason the website won't allow my Mac OSX web surfing computer download it so I need to email them to try and get the demo.

Also - one other popular & full featured solution not mentioned here yet is Wavelab.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

trock
03-07-2006, 09:19 AM
Hey Steve

and all

thanks for that

the only nero ver i can find new is 7 so i will not be getting that

i will check out wavelab too.

thanks

Dave Labrecque
03-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Realplayer will do it for free. But it may sound rubbish. Sadly I have cloth ears, so I can't tell.

Dominic

LOL. :D

Less sunburn, though, I'd think.

"Always look on the bright side of life..." -- Eric Idle

Dave Labrecque
03-07-2006, 12:48 PM
I use them both for different purposes. Sort of like SawStudio and SoundForge. Both are really good at their specialty...

Sort of like my wife... and my girlfriend.

Okay, not really (sorry John Hernandez). :D

Dave Labrecque
03-07-2006, 12:51 PM
(I usually use Virtos for broadband nr instead of Sonys DeNoise though)

Sony's DeNoise? You hittin' DeSauce, Steve ol' buddy ol' pal? :p

Dave Labrecque
03-07-2006, 12:58 PM
Hey Steve

and all

thanks for that

i will check out wavelab too.

thanks

One more... for ultimate drag 'n' drop simplicity (sound files OR cue sheets), you can download the FREE Burrrn (http://www.burrrn.net/?page_id=4) program. I use SAW/CSG and Burrrn most of the time.

Mark Stebbeds
03-07-2006, 01:05 PM

Hey Trock,

Nero 6 is still available on the Nero website (at the same price as 7) . Just go to "buy" at the menu bar. www.nero.com

I'm not sure what the known bugs are are with 7. Maybe someone could elaborate.

FWIW, I found a feature comparison chart for 6 adn 7.

http://ww2.nero.com/nero7/doc/Nero7_comparison_sheet.pdf

mark

TotalSonic
03-07-2006, 01:24 PM
Sony's DeNoise? You hittin' DeSauce, Steve ol' buddy ol' pal? :p

oops - yeah - the official name of that particular plug in the Sony NR 2.0 suite is "Noise Reduction" - while in Virtos Noise Wizard suite it's called "DeNoiser."

As far as hitting the sauce - anyone who knows me knows that I'll readily go for a good hearty ale or stout during the winter (Belhaven has been my favorite at my neighborhood pub recently - although Sierra Nevada & Guiness will always pique my interest too) - and am partial to Pacifica & Presidente as good refreshers in the summer time - and have been known to enjoy a good V&T (Grey Goose or Belvedere being my preferences) on "occasion" - and a decent merlot or shiraz is always great with the pasta - and Axum Tej (Ethiopian honey wine) is always a nice treat too - and definitely enjoy a nice single malt Scotch once in a blue moon -
but I swear all these rumors of my frequent visits to the Betty Ford Clinic that you keep seeing in the Enquirer are seriously exagerrated....:D

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Mark Stebbeds
03-07-2006, 01:39 PM
As far as hitting the sauce - anyone who knows me knows that I'll readily go for a good hearty ale or stout during the winter (Belhaven has been my favorite at my neighborhood pub recently - although Sierra Nevada & Guiness will always pique my interest too) - and am partial to Pacifica & Presidente as good refreshers in the summer time - and have been known to enjoy a good V&T (Grey Goose or Belvedere being my preferences) on "occasion" - and a decent merlot or shiraz is always great with the pasta - and Axum Tej (Ethiopian honey wine) is always a nice treat too - and definitely enjoy a nice single malt Scotch once in a blue moon -

I have personally witnessed this on more than one occassion.

Note to others: This is not a personal attack.

Mark

TotalSonic
03-07-2006, 01:41 PM
I have personally witnessed this on more than one occassion.

Note to others: This is not a personal attack.

Mark

None taken. I think you were matching me drink for drink actually :D
& Forgot to mention Boddingtons - that's a mighty fine brew too.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Mark Stebbeds
03-07-2006, 01:52 PM
I think you were matching me drink for drink actually :D
& Forgot to mention Boddingtons - that's a mighty fine brew too.

At least. Look forward to the next time.

Mark

olzzon
03-07-2006, 02:02 PM
oops - yeah - the official name of that particular plug in the Sony NR 2.0 suite is "Noise Reduction" - while in Virtos Noise Wizard suite it's called "DeNoiser."

but I swear all these rumors of my frequent visits to the Betty Ford Clinic that you keep seeing in the Enquirer are seriously exagerrated....:D

Best regards,
Steve Berson

I***180;ll buy you a stout. I***180;m going to NewYork, at the end of March for 14 days. And it could be great to meet a real native NewYorker. So if you have time and wan***180;t to show me your studio, i would be happy.
You can mail me at: sawforum!AT!olzzon!DOT!dk

TotalSonic
03-07-2006, 02:38 PM
I´ll buy you a stout. I´m going to NewYork, at the end of March for 14 days. And it could be great to meet a real native NewYorker. So if you have time and wan´t to show me your studio, i would be happy.
You can mail me at: sawforum!AT!olzzon!DOT!dk

Kasper -
sounds good - it'd be fun to share a drink with a fellow SAWyer from over the pond - and I'm sure I'd have some time towards the end of the month. My studio is in Greenpoint, Brooklyn - on a kind of an ugly block in the border between industrial warehouses & residences. There's mainly Polish immigrant families here mixed in with some "hipsters" escaping the more expensive rents in Williamsburg to the south. It's about a 1/2 hour subway ride from midtown Manhattan - and there's both really good Thai restaraunts and nice (cheaper than Manhattan) pubs nearby too - so if you wanted to check out the studio (and the rooftop here has a pretty magnificent view of the NY skyline also), along with a piece of NYC that most tourists will never see you're more than welcome to stop by. Otherwise - it's easy for me to meet in Manhattan - just PM me at steve at invert dot org and we can figure something out.

Best regards,
Steve Berson