PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected Benefit SS 3.9M & UAD-1

MMP
03-10-2006, 07:05 AM
Hello,

As some of you may know, I have having a screen corruption problem when using a dual core Athlon with UAD plugins in Saw Studio. My only solution had been to run SS on one CPU core.

Today, after a couple hours of testing, I am happy to say that the new drawing routines seem to have fixed this instability on my system.

Full speed ahead! http://www.sawstudiouser.net/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

Thanks Bob!

Regards,

MM

Bob L
03-10-2006, 08:56 AM
Well, that's an interesting observation... not sure why that would be... the drawing routine modifications I did should really only affect the stretching of windows... but good news anyway.

Perhaps the real change was the loop bug found in the engine itself that was breaking down the timing... this may have opened a hole between threads that was affecting the duals.

I will be interested to see if this behavior holds, or if it is just a coincidence that will dissapear after x number of hours or days of constant use.

Bob L

MMP
03-10-2006, 09:18 AM
Yeah...I almost hate to post about instabilities being fixed, because they often show up again. But, so far so good, whatever the fix was.

The feel in Studio seems even quicker than before.

Regards,

MM

MMP
03-10-2006, 10:05 AM
Ah....

Not fixed....had the crash....just took five hours.

Damn...hope springs eternal.

Nevermind.......

Nice upgrade anyhow.

Regards,

MM

Bob L
03-10-2006, 01:18 PM
It does not surprise me... I did not tweak anything specific for the dual problems because they are so difficult to chase down and duplicate.

I have some blind changes I might add to 4.0 that may strike a lucky chord... but there has still been no definite way to chase anything down specifically.

Bob L

johndale
03-10-2006, 01:47 PM
Bob, what did you do to speed SAW up? I had no issues with it before, but I've never seen any heavy duty app load this fast. And for the record. I have tracked about 6 hours with the update and all is good. That is with running an UAD-1 and Motu on an all Intel machine. I also use a Geoforce 5200 video card and have never had screen problems with redraws or the like with SAW. Things are good, Thanks Bob.
John

Bob L
03-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Nothing new for loading any faster... its always loaded like that.

The changes had to do with tweaking the engine performance.

Details are listed in the Release Notes.

Bob L