PDA

View Full Version : Save me from myself

andykern
03-22-2006, 11:38 PM
After recording a mono vocal track I closed SS and restarted SS to record again on the same track. I forgot to change the the input assignment from D-01S to D-01L and started recording. I stopped recording after a few seconds and the entire file became corrupted. All previous takes were gone as far as I could tell. Would it be a good idea to prevent this from happening?

Andy

bcorkery
03-23-2006, 12:43 AM
Andy,

There's something else going on here because SS will let you combine mono and stereo regions on the same track without a hitch.

Try to open and refresh the original file on the track, then control B to mark the file and make sure the proper region is highlighted in the region view and control U to update the region.

If you've already tried all this ... never mind.

G'Luck,
Bill

Bob L
03-23-2006, 04:24 AM
Andy,

If the original file was mono and then you attempted to overwrite the same file as stereo... SS should have created a new filename with the new stereo parameters appended onto the name... my guess is that the original file still exists... look in the folder.

Bob L

studio-c
03-23-2006, 08:08 AM
Done this a time or three.
It'll be in there. Just have to pull it onto the MT. If you did a lot of punch-ins, the regions will be lost but you could rebuild from the soundfile. You have to try pretty hard to overwrite a file, and you get the gauntlet of "Retake from beginning? Are you REALLY REALLY sure?" messages? Actually just one, but it's nice. I love the nondestructive environment.

Only time I ever encountered a missing soundfile was when losing power during a record. EDL's can be lost in a freeze more likely, but it's pretty much designed to save you from yourself :-)

Bob L
03-23-2006, 11:09 AM
The regions from punch ins will still be in the regions list also... and they will have an @ symbol beside them... meaning they have a time stamp... use the Shift key when inserting them to a clean track and they will all go back into their exact punch-in position.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
03-23-2006, 03:00 PM
The regions from punch ins will still be in the regions list also... and they will have an @ symbol beside them... meaning they have a time stamp... use the Shift key when inserting them to a clean track and they will all go back into their exact punch-in position.

Bob L

Bob,

FWIW, I just checked the Help file regarding this feature, and there's a small typo:

"This operation forces an insert which overwrites any unlying region data."

UpTilDawn
03-23-2006, 03:32 PM
It could mean that anything that doesn't get overwritten is nothing but a lie.

Bob L
03-23-2006, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the error check... I'll mark it down for the next update. :)

Bob L