PDA

View Full Version : No default edl? wondering why :)

AudioAstronomer
08-04-2004, 06:22 PM
I was curious as to why, if you load saw with all your default paths setup nicely, default mix template, preferences, f-key, shade.. record templates ready to go... You still must save or open an edl before recording.

Is there a technical reason behind this, or would it be possible to have SAW write data to a temporary EDL till it is saved properly?

Naturally Digital
08-04-2004, 09:10 PM
If this feature were adopted, I would be quite happy if the edl name defaulted to the session folder name. For example:

Session folder: d:\clientname\projectname

default EDL name and path... d:\clientname\projectname\projectname.edl

The way it is now doesn't really slow me down. I just consider setting the edl name as part of the "project setup" phase. What I HAVE done numerous times however, is gone to setup my default paths before naming my edl and then I can't make use of the "Current Path" feature.

Anyway, this would be better for me than if the edl name defaulted to "default.edl". For others, it may be entirely different.

FWIW, I'm really getting into the concept of copying my SAWStudio folder into my project folders and working from there. This really helps in the 'housekeeping' department. It has been discussed on the newsnet group and I think it is one of the most brilliant features of SAWStudio when it comes to use in a professional environment. I really like setting up all of my default configurations on a project by project basis. I'm Lov'in it! ;)

I guess that's one of the main reasons I chimed in here.

Dave.

Dave Labrecque
08-04-2004, 09:33 PM
FWIW, I'm really getting into the concept of copying my SAWStudio folder into my project folders and working from there.
Dave,

What do you mean by this?

Bob L
08-04-2004, 09:53 PM
Robert,

I used to create a default edl name when someone pressed record... but I found tons of user trauma happening... all kinds of tech calls... overlapped session recordings all dumped into the same default session... it was a real mess... most users do not pay attention to folders and project names... so I decided to force this on them, for housekeeping and tech support reasons.

You must create a folder/filename for the session so all the files created from there have a place to go without overwriting and mixing into other default noname sessions.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
08-04-2004, 10:00 PM
Perhaps have this as an option, set to OFF by default... for those of us who do keep tidy? :)

Shawn
08-05-2004, 03:32 AM
IMO, I don't think this is needed, it only takes about 10-15 seconds to create and save a folder and edl.

Naturally Digital
08-05-2004, 06:42 PM
Dave,

What do you mean by this?
Hi Dave,

You may remember a thread on the newsgroup about keeping or "archive"-ing old versions of SAWStudio. Toward the end of that thread, Perry chimed in with his solution to the archiving dilemma. I'll quote:

"Sometimes.. for certain projects, I'll save a full copy of SAW along
with the rest of the files. That way all of the vst dll's are there, the
right version, etc.

You never know... might prove to be a good idea at some point..
otherwise only a little extra backup space used.

All the best,

Perry"

I thought it was brilliant. With SAWStudio being so self-contained an application, it lends itself to this wonderfully. I now start every new project by copying my SAWStudio folder to the project folder, set up my paths, customize a few things for the type of project it is and away I go... (I try not to install/use too many DX plugins myself but...).

Smooooth.

THANKS PERRY!! :) :) :)

And thanks to Bob for creating the tools to make this all possible!!

Dave.

AudioAstronomer
08-05-2004, 07:08 PM
That's a neat idea.

mghtx
08-05-2004, 08:05 PM
Yeah, I'm blown away by how "small" the Saw program is in terms of mb's. So I see your point with backing up.

Perry
08-05-2004, 10:56 PM
Robert,

.................. You must create a folder/filename for the session so all the files created from there have a place to go without overwriting and mixing into other default noname sessions.

Bob L

Excellent plan IMHO! Step number one... give it a name! :)

This to me is a good example of the kind of logic that's "hidden" in SAWStudio. It works so well that it's easy to take these things for granted... until you try to work with some other program that is! ;)

All the best,
Perry

Perry

AudioAstronomer
08-05-2004, 11:00 PM
Hrm... idea was that if the session is closed without saving... it deserves to be overwritten... but eh, oh well.