PDA

View Full Version : Semit-OT: Strange firewire capture problem

AudioAstronomer
04-03-2006, 04:48 PM
Getting ready to drop some video via firewire into saw and for some reason windows doesnt realize the device is there (sony cam). The cam says connection is made but it seems that windows doesnt realize it?

Any ideas for trouble shooting? Im at a loss for ideas.

Bob L
04-03-2006, 05:09 PM
Robert,

The firewire device will not be available (in device manager) until the camera is plugged in and turned on... so do that first... then open the video viewer and select the Firewire device which may show in the list as only the Microsoft VCR and Camera device.

You may also want to follow my tip in the tweaks doc about changing the firewire driver to the generic driver instead of a Sony or VIA specific driver.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
04-03-2006, 05:26 PM
All the stuff I've done as normal and it always worked before... let me check the tweaks doc.

I've changed nothing that im aware of other than the computer's power supply, the firewire ports still work fine with my 896 units so i know they're not fried or anything.

AudioAstronomer
04-03-2006, 05:33 PM
No luck changing driver... Cam works on another computer so all is fine with cable and cam.

So frustrating :-\

Leadfoot
04-03-2006, 08:01 PM
it's that windows twilight zone crap again.. all i did was take the guts out of one box, put 'em in another, now windows don't see my slave and secondary drives.. nothing changed?!, well, except the p.s... hmmm, i'm in the same boat.

tony

Bob L
04-04-2006, 01:26 AM
Robert,

When you turn the cam on and go into the Video Viewer and choose the Select Firewire Device option does anything show up in the popup list menu?

Make sure you are using the Select Firewire Device option... not the Select Analog Video Device option.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
04-04-2006, 01:46 AM
Nothing is showing up in either.

Ive been browsing the net for related things all night. All i've found is 100's (probably 1000s that i havent seen yet) of people saying essentially "1394 devices suddenly dont work on my computer? what do I do?" and no response.

ugh :( Is there anyway to remove any streaming drivers and start them over?

Bob L
04-04-2006, 02:04 AM
Robert,

Check in the Network neighborhood to see if the 1394 device is set as an active Network device... then disable it there... reboot.. see if that helps.

Otherwise... in the Device Manager... do you see a 1394 entry... if so click to update the driver and select a different one from the list... install it... then go back and select the standard OHCI driver and install that.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
04-04-2006, 02:53 AM
Both done... Strangley the cam recognizes the firewire connection but the computer does not.

Im lost here :-\ Maybe time to try a pci firewire card?

MikeDee
04-04-2006, 06:01 AM
Robert,

The firewire device will not be available (in device manager) until the camera is plugged in and turned on... so do that first... then open the video viewer and select the Firewire device which may show in the list as only the Microsoft VCR and Camera device.

You may also want to follow my tip in the tweaks doc about changing the firewire driver to the generic driver instead of a Sony or VIA specific driver.

Bob L

Hi, Bob -

In addition to the FireWire (iLink) port built into my Sony Vaio laptop (which implements the TI chipset [which is considered a good thing :) ]), I have an Adaptec CardBus [PCMCIA] FireWire card, which implements the NEC chipset. To date, the card appears to be performing well. I have not run into any driver issues; thus, there has been no need for me to switch to the standard OHCI driver.

Are you aware of any issues, anomalies, or problems with the NEC chipset and FireWire devices? (Basically, I'm being proactive here, as opposed to reactive. ;) ) TIA!

Best personal regards,

Bob L
04-04-2006, 09:43 AM
Heh... if it ain't broke... don't fix it. :)

Bob L

MikeDee
04-04-2006, 12:08 PM
Heh... if it ain't broke... don't fix it. :)

Bob L

Aaahhh...good. My sentiments exactly.

Thank ye, kind sir(e)!

<sigh of relief>

:D