PDA

View Full Version : EDL File was replaced with a different file

Eric1978
04-06-2006, 03:25 PM
I had a recording on my hard drive and now that hasa total new recording on it from a whole different session. This was not caused by user error. I tried to use the Undo Edl option and the only thing that it's changing is my editing not removing this other session. Can anyone help or am I out of luck. Please respond quickly as I need to remedy this prob by tonight. Thanks

Naturally Digital
04-06-2006, 05:29 PM
You need to search the folder/hard drive for the underlying wav file. It sounds like you may have overwritten it somehow but I'd look at all the files in your edl folder to see what's there.

Also, you could double click the region into the soundfile view and check to see if there's more audio in the wav file than what's displayed (the region is only a pointer to the actual file/section of the file and you may have appended new data to the end of a previous wav file).

How are you organizing your edl folders? Do you have the folder options set to default? It sounds like you may be sharing your record folder among multiple edls and perhaps overwriting wav files by using duplicate track names across edl's.

If you haven't done so, search the forum for 'folder options' or 'project folder' or similar... You should try to create a separate folder for each song/project and leave the folder options set to the default settings. This will keep your related edl file(s), wav files and graphic files all in one folder.

Good luck.

Bob L
04-06-2006, 06:23 PM
I'm guessing that it was user involvement... you most likely have multiple sessions crossed into the same folders and/or soundfiles.

My example demo video shows how to start new sessions and place them in their own folder... this eliminates problems such as this.

Hopefully you just corssed the file link somehow in the edl and the original wav file still exists... if you can find it and then link back to that, your edl should come back around... if you actually did overwrite the wav file... then its too late.

Bob L

Eric1978
04-06-2006, 09:41 PM
Thanks all. The good thing is that what got lost was a speech narration. So, for tonight I went ahead and recorded someone else's voice to be used for the narration for tonight in the drama rehearsal. However, I am going to go back and do what you all suggested.

The way I'm saving my files is by going into my hard and in there I have a file named Audio. Within this folder I have a different folder for each session. I just remembered that the original narration is not in a folder of it's own it's just sitting in the Audio folder.

What I was doing was I started a whole new project and started to drop in the narration along with different music, sound FX's to make a sound track for a drama and put this project in a folder of it's own. Well, It was working fine until I noticed it earlier this afternoon when I started to work on it.

I stated that It couldn't have been 'user error', however, I don't know if someone screw with it last night at church.
Anyway, I'm going to have the original voice narrator come back and do it over again. (I went ahead and deleted the original) Thank goodness this happened a week before going live. Thanks for help guys!!

Naturally Digital
04-07-2006, 07:06 AM
Just be sure to create the project folder and save the edl to that folder before doing *anything* else.

johndale
04-07-2006, 08:23 AM
To bad SAW does not create per project folders on the fly. That would be a nice feature.
John

Bob L
04-07-2006, 09:06 AM
I think the engineer should be totally in charge of folder creation and placement... its pretty simple really... use the SAVE AS command first thing and navigate to a drive and path before doing anything else... nothing could be easier or quicker... and leaves total control in your hands.

Its demonstarted in my demo band video.

Bob L