PDA

View Full Version : Philosophy of normalise in leveliser.

pingu
04-13-2006, 10:37 AM
Can some one please explain to me why the leveliser has the normalise function.

I thought that normalising mixes was a thing of the past.

Dave Labrecque
04-13-2006, 10:57 AM
Can some one please explain to me why the leveliser has the normalise function.

I thought that normalising mixes was a thing of the past.

In the Levelizer, the normalize setting gives the limiter threshold a reference relative to the full dynamics scale. For example if you want to limit your audio so that nothing exceeds -2 dB (no audio within 2 dB of the top-of-the-scale), you set the normalize to -2.0 dB. If you want no normalizing at all (want to use the full dynamic range available), keep the normalizer set to 0.0 or off.

The lower the normalize setting (larger negative number), the lower the resulting volume of the output. The cool thing is that when you lower the limiter threshold, the levelizer automatically brings the limited audio's gain up by that same amount, so that your output is always maximized up to the normalize's set margin below digital zero.

The effect is that you can set the margin below digital zero that you want to maintain (the normalize threshold), then lower the peak limiter's threshold into the audio until you're doing as much limiting as you like, and as you do this, the audio's volume (and loudness) is maximized (without going over your desired top-of-scale).

Geeze, I wish there were a simpler way to explain it... anybody?

I think the term "normalize" originated with the concept of making different mixes (say, different songs on an album) all about the same volume; making them all "normal" volume. Still a very-needed operation in audio production, I'd say.

Anyway, the Levelizer is about the best tool I've found for doing this. Certainly the best-priced tool that does an excellent job of it.

Bob L
04-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Watch the Levelizer demo video on my site... it will give you a good idea of what it is all about.

Bob L