PDA

View Full Version : sawstudio and OSS

tate
08-07-2004, 09:53 AM
hello bob. i've followed the saw line for what seems like forever now. i was a heavy user of sawplus32 way back when in a studio out west. i have to say that what you have done is utterly amazing and i think it's great that you've stuck to your guns.

on that note, i wanted to see if you have ever thought about writing or releasing some code to the open source world. i'm an active member in the open source community and have been helping in debugging and testing of ARDOUR (http://www.ardour.org) and it's turning out quite nice. i think it would be great for someone like yourself to add to the community.

i do know you make your living writing software, but patches, ideas and anything else you could contribute to Paul Davis and the other devs at such a project like ardour would be simply amazing.

thanks for listening to my post, and i hope your dev success continues. you are an inspiration to a lot of audio devs out there in the open world. take care and be well.

Bob L
08-07-2004, 10:27 AM
While I have had my eye on the Linux market for quite some time... and dabbled slightly along the way, my current responsibilities to my established user base and the workload involved in trying to attract new customers to keep SAW growing and evolving makes it fairly impossible for me to spread myself any thinner.

I have over 12 years of dedicated research and experience into manipulating the Windows environment... to be of any impact in another OS would mean a similar commitment in time and experience, at least to satisfy myself.

I know that eventually Windows will over-kludge itself or over-step its bully behaviour patterns to a fast demise... but at the moment, it still offers me the best overall platform to accomplish my design goals for SAWStudio.

I am also very comfortable with the development tools and have an easy way of working my assembly langugae code into the app, which I have not really found in some of these other environments.

Who knows... I'm always open to going with the flow of the future... we'll see where things lead over the next few years.

Bob L