PDA

View Full Version : Questions about SawStudio

portobellovcs3
04-27-2006, 09:06 PM
OK, as you can all see I'm new around here. I'm considering SawStudio because I want something that allows me to work quickly and efficiently with audio. I also want something that is stable, isn't a CPU hog, and sounds great.

From my understanding, I can load and play my VSTi's inside SS, but I can't sequence anything midi (there is no piano roll type editor or anything similar). Is this correct? This isn't a huge thing for me, as I usually prefer to actually play my VSTi's and record the takes as audio and edit the audio. I am aware that an optional Midi program that integrates into SS is available for $300.

Also, for those of you that have compared the integrated EQ and compressor in SS to those from UAD-1, URS, Tritone Digital, etc.***12288;How do they stack up in your opinion?

I am thinking of SS Basic as I am not a pro shop (not even semi-pro) and 24 tracks of audio is enough for me. And I don't think I'll miss any of the pro features. And I can't really justify spending the extra $. Any comments on this?

I watched the video and was really impressed! I will have to wait until next week to give the demo a try. Can't wait! Any help in the meantime is more than appreciated.

BTW, I have an Athlon 64 3000+ system, MSI RS482M4-ILD Mobo (ATI Radeon chipset), WinXP, 1 GB Kingston 3200 (2 x 512 Mb running as dual channel), Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm 160 Gb SATA, RME HDSP 9632.

Thanks!

Naturally Digital
04-27-2006, 10:49 PM
Welcome!

Stability is the name of the game around here.

You're correct about the Midi... SAWStudio is audio first and the Midi Workshop is an add-on. You do not need MW to play VSTi's into SAWStudio if you just want to record the audio. No problem!

Start with Basic and move up if you ever need to. There's nothing to lose.

If you can't try the demo for a while, I'd suggest watching all the videos (not just the basic intro) and reading through the manual as many times as possible. You'll be really glad you did.

Since much of SAWStudio is coded in low-level assembly language, the built-in processing offers a great sounding EQ and dynamics with virtually no CPU hit. Very powerful. The comps are a more transparent design than some of the ones you mention but there's nothing stopping you from patching plugins.

Enjoy!

olzzon
04-27-2006, 10:54 PM
This is a nice program.
And yes you can use VST instrument inside SAW, just as if you plugged a synth into a mixer.

The most important to understand is how the workflow is designed. There´s alot of hidden features, and this program is designed to be as effectively as possible. So there´s not thousands of buttons you can click on, and features that on paper looks great, but in reallity only slow down the program.
So a look in the manual is allmost required to find out how the program works, i think.
BUT, when you have looked in the manual and found out how every things works. THEN things starts to get fun. :)
I remember one of the things i couldn´t do in the begining was to insert a plugin on a track, i was used to drag the plugin onto the tracks mixer channel. In saw you click on the add button, in the PRE-FX window. But before that you select the plugin on the FX list. This is just another way of doing things, and if you wan´t a plugin on several tracks, this is VERY fast in saw. When you work in saw every day, things so easy, but if you come from another DAW, simple things can easyli be complicated.

But i really think, this program is a one of a kind DAW. First of all, it works so efficiently, sound so good. (yes, before i used all kind of plugs, UAD, sonalksis etc., now i use the channelstrip 90% of the time, it just sounds right) and it´s has the fastest workflow i´ve yet to try.

These are ofcause my oppinions. I use the program average 8 hours every day, and like better every day. :)
I heartly recomend it to anyone who likes music, more than features.

dhise
04-28-2006, 04:11 AM
I use basic and have found it a very good value for the money. I can track a band on an older, not too powerful laptop, and bring it home to mix on a much nicer pc. I have a uad-1 and tritone's eq and love em to death, but there is nothing wrong with the sound of saws channel strip. Saw's eq and compressor are more transparent than the aforementioned analog emulations, but there is nothing in SAW that'll stop you from making a good mix.

Sometimes I think the uad compressors have a good placebo effect, but they do seem to behave in a way that my ears like. The tritone plugs have good color as well and let me dial in 'harder' sounds more easily.

All in all, I think SAW basic is one of the best deals going in the daw world. You can click on my myspace link to hear some work I've done with basic.

-Doug

Sam C
04-28-2006, 07:50 AM
Welcome portebello!! I think I saw you over at gearslutz.

I really think you will enjoy SAW once you have a chance to check out the demo.

Welcome!

trock
04-28-2006, 08:56 AM
Hello and welcome!

I started out on basic also and got really good at the stuff i needed to do in SAW which is maybe 1/10th of what i can do. i would learn what you need for your workflow first, really get it down and then branch out. there is no way i could learn everything up front.

once i got rolling it was very easy for me to record and knock out songs. The area i concentrate on for outboard gear is only on my front end now. mics, API pre etc, keep it simple and straight forward for me.

i have purchased and do use the third party plugs for SAW by Anwida and Sonaris and i use LACE all the time to convert to MP3. all work and sound great.

good luck and enjoy the program!

portobellovcs3
04-28-2006, 11:03 AM
Thanks guys! I did manage to fire up the demo on a friend's PC and wow this thing is lightning fast! It's going to take a while to get comfortable with, but I can see myself getting into this.

I will report more later on how things go.

What a great forum!

Bruce Callaway
04-28-2006, 03:46 PM
Hi, glad you are impressed. Once you get the hang of how SAW works, you will be flying. The built-in SAW channel EQ and compression are very clean and are not CPU hogs. I used to use more external plugins for supposed custom settings but have found in many cases, I get better or the same results with the channel strip or with the Levelizer. I also use the Sonoris and other native plugins and these are very good too.

I am not sure whether you aware that SAW has a range of shades (or skins) available, many of these put together by fellow SAW users. These are great and there is something for all tastes. They are available at the SAWstudio website and at http://www.hardknee.com/seesawers/shades.asp

mobetternow
04-28-2006, 06:43 PM
I hit the ground running with SSL. A colleague left suddenly and I was faced with a number of large projects. It did take awhile to learn the basics, but managed to get right in there and complete everything on time--really enjoyed the process.

It is so fast and fun to work with now, and there is always more to learn (and a lot of it happens in this forum!).

Dave Labrecque
04-29-2006, 02:24 PM
I hit the ground running with SSL. A colleague left suddenly and I was faced with a number of large projects. It did take awhile to learn the basics, but managed to get right in there and complete everything on time--really enjoyed the process.

It is so fast and fun to work with now, and there is always more to learn (and a lot of it happens in this forum!).

Sounds quite harrowing. Congrats. Good to hear things are mobetternow. :)