PDA

View Full Version : Kontakt 2.1 issue

Neal Starrett
05-06-2006, 08:58 AM
The GUI for the last update for Kontakt, 2.1 is behaving strange with SSB. When I patch it in I just get the bar on top but the rest of the interface is missing. Sometimes it will appear if I mess with some settings within the blue triangle but its not consistent. Also, it will just disappear if set to the "not always on top" setting and you will have to remove it then patch it back in just to see the top bar. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Kontakt with the same results. Anyone else having this problem?
Thanks, niles

Sam C
05-06-2006, 09:01 AM
niles, I am not having this problem. I updated last week and have used Kontakt two or three times in SAW just to mess around with the new features. So far, no problems.

Good luck!

Neal Starrett
05-06-2006, 09:03 AM
Sam, are you on XP home or Pro, I don't think that would make a diff but I'm wondering.
niles

Sam C
05-06-2006, 09:13 AM
XP Home.

Kontakt has been pretty stable on my system so far (before the upgrade too). My system has very little on it though. SAW, plugs, SForge, Kontakt, Acid, and samples.

Neal Starrett
05-06-2006, 09:29 AM
Thanks Sam,,,OK, I've got it to work consistently, but I have start then stop the engine, then do the cancell allways on top, then the full interface pops up. Strange. Must be something in my settings. I will check and report back if I find anything.
niles

Ludwig
05-06-2006, 02:26 PM
Same problem here (and also the same workaround).

Neal Starrett
05-07-2006, 07:00 AM
Also, everything seems to be in mono,,if I move the balance slider to the right, no sound, its all comeing from the left,,,,argghh,,,,is it the same for you Ludwig? This does not happen in in stand alone though. I'm out for the day. I'll work on it tonight and check back here.
niles

jarvissound
10-09-2006, 08:28 AM
Anyone found any better workaround for this problem(the GUI not showing till you start the engine and then Cancel on top status)? Just installed 2.1 and having the same issue. 2.0 didn't do this. I did read in the 2.1 documentation that they made some changes to the GUI with 2.1 where you can adjust the GUI.....Bob?

Thanks,
Brett

Bob L
10-09-2006, 08:46 AM
Obviously... this new behavior comes from a code change in the plugin... SAWStudio has not been altered and works fine with the older versions.

This behavior is starting to pop up with other plugins as well... my guess is many companies are using some new generic library code module that is affecting their new compiles in this manner... or copying some example code somewhere that behaves this way.

You can try to put SS in Live Mode or MT playback before patching the plugin... that way, the engine is running... and for some reason these new modules need that to initialize... my guess is that most of the companies don't even know why... and probably don't care... because SS is probably one of the only hosts that does not keep its engine alive in the background for many performance reasons.

Bob L

jarvissound
10-09-2006, 08:50 AM
Thanks, Bob. I was certian from the start it wasn't an issue with Studio.... I'm going to take this up with NI and see if they'll do something about it. Maybe if enough of us moan they'll do something about it.

Thanks,
Brett

ambler
10-09-2006, 09:00 AM
I emailed NI tech support through their official support process about this when I first upgraded to 2.1. They never replied.

Mark

Bob L
10-09-2006, 09:07 AM
Brett,

Care to bet that all they say is it's a SAWStudio problem because it is not standard... oh well. :)

If you can, ask for a reason why their new plugin will not properly initialize if the audio engine is stopped... this should have no importance whatever when initializing their internal variable and memory structures... yet for some reason it does... if their programmers looked closely at their initialization code, they would probably see what's causing it and easily be able to fix it.

The plugin should not care about the audio engine, in my opinion, until it's asked to produce sound... certainly not to simply display its interface.

Bob L

jarvissound
10-09-2006, 09:39 AM
Well I just sent them a support request. Hopefully they'll at least respond....

jarvissound
10-09-2006, 09:42 AM
Haha that will be great Bob!! I'm going to ask them that question verbatim--it will probably make the support guy's head spin and maybe he'll send it to the person who can actually do something about it!

Brett

Neal Starrett
10-09-2006, 10:13 AM
I wouldn't hold my breath:rolleyes:

Michael Naz
10-09-2006, 03:05 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath:rolleyes:

Exactly! I don't know if you guys have dealt with NI's customer service before.. wait, did I just say NI and customer service in the same sentance??

jarvissound
10-09-2006, 03:43 PM
Typical...they sure love to talk about how much they "care" about quality etc in the :rolleyes: manual!!!

johndale
10-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Pleaseeeee....... But NI is notorious...
John

Neal Starrett
10-09-2006, 06:53 PM
Yea, support is not good at NI fer sure, but coming from lugging upright pianos, drumsets, heavy Ampex MTR's and loads of other stuff around from every place I ever moved/lived, I am more than willing to tolerate it. I am still amazed every day that all of these virtual tools work and sound as good as they do. I use NI almost exclusively (Spectrasonics to). If it wasn't for these people, I might have been looking into back surgery:eek:

jarvissound
10-10-2006, 10:49 AM
Got this reply from NI today:

"Hello Brett Jarvis,

is any Virsyn software installed? It could be the problem.

Best regards
Rico Baade"

Here's what I sent back:

Hello Rico,

Thanks very much for your reply.

There is no Virsyn software installed on my system. After posting on the SAWStudio forum about this, I'm finding that everyone using Kontact(and there are several of us) are experiencing this problem with 2.1, and were not with 2.0. It seems that the plugin will not properly initialize if the audio engine is stopped. This should have no importance whatever when initializing the internal variable and memory structures... yet for some reason it does... if your programmers looked at their initialization code they would probably see what's causing it and easily be able to fix it. It would be great if they could take a look at this, as I am running several other VSTi's on this system and Kontact is the only plugin that exhibits this behavior. I just moved over to Kontakt because of continued problems with Gigastudio--if this could be addressed I would appreciate it very much.

Kind Regards,
Brett

Bob L
10-10-2006, 11:37 AM
I have a fix on my end that works for the DFH drum sampler, which exhibited the same behavior... I am hopeful it will fix the NI issues also.

Coming in 4.0.

But it would be nice if they fixed their code also... this should not be happening.

Bob L

jarvissound
10-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Bob, I hear you, and know how you feel. I deal with the same crap almost everytime I walk into a theatre...you have to spend half your time cleaning up other peoples messes and feel like you can't get any of YOUR stuff done.....:mad: