PDA

View Full Version : Bob: Cursor behavior question

UpTilDawn
05-09-2006, 09:33 PM
Bob,

Now that the cursor changes appearance when certain functions are engaged, it is nearly impossible to tell whether or not you can grab the edge of a window to resize. Evidently it is still possible to resize the window (in my case, the MT to make more tracks visible), but the cursor does not display the resize arrows while other special functions are engaged, such as grouped tracks.

Would this be hard for you to alter so that the resize arrows would display as they normally would when positioning the mouse at the window edge?

It took me a while and finally grabbing the window's edge and dragging out of frustration to see that it still worked. But it's difficult to know exactly where to place the cursor to make it happen.

Thanks,
DanT

Bob L
05-09-2006, 11:32 PM
I guess I can put hooks into the mouse code... but I would suggest this is not really necessary because the design of the program and the use of the F-Key workspace views pretty much makes it never necessary to grab and adjust window borders once the F-Key views are set and saved.

If you are resizing windows on the fly... I would suggest you set up your F-Key views to eliminate that need... you should never have the need to grab window borders to see more tracks... simply press an F-Key that displays more tracks.

Set your F-Keys for less and large tracks... more and smaller tracks... tracks with mixer views, tracks with FX Patch views... etc.

Try experimenting with my default F-Key views... press them all and see how they function... there is pretty much a view for most every editing requirement... and then... make some modifications to suit the way you want to work... then make different F-Key files that you can load for different types of projects... F-Keys for large tracking sessions... F-Keys for editing and mixing sessions... F-Keys for video track sound design sessions... the power in SS is all in the F-Keys... no real need to resize windows while working. :)

Bob L

UpTilDawn
05-10-2006, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the suggestions Bob.
I do make use of the F-keys and really admire the flexibility and power they offer. I have stored many versions over the last few years as I develop strategies based on both typical and atypical needs. As my general workflow develops, so too the F-key views I most frequently use... as does the default setting. It's all very useful for the way I like to work.

I would agree that I would generally not have the need for resizing windows "on the fly"...... in fact, I appreciate the fact that I can make temporary use of special case F-keys by repositioning things for a particular session need and then not closing that session until I am finished, even for days on end.

My realization of the cursor behavior only came about when I was forced to close down Saw and the pc because of impending weather (tornado and lightening storms are frequent this time of year). I happened to be working on an edit session across multiple tracks, which required small "Select Mode" moves to a constantly changing set of regions... where the only thing that made sense was to widen my normal track view to include two more tracks. This allowed me to make my region selections without the need to scroll or page sweep track views as I worked.

If you find it an easy change to make, that's great. If not, I'm sure I can live with it as is.

Thanks for looking into it.

DanT

Bob L
05-10-2006, 09:29 AM
I'll see what is involved.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
05-10-2006, 03:45 PM
This has bugged me for a while, too. In fact, like you, at first I didn't even realize I could still re-size the MT in those other modes because the pointer didn't change shape, as in normal mode. It took Bob pointing out that it still worked, even if the pointer wasn't being consistent with normal mode behavior. :)