PDA

View Full Version : Automate a VST filter plugin

DJ Synchro
05-10-2006, 10:51 AM
Hi,

I was wondering how I can automate the Cutoff fader of my VST filter plugin in SAWStudio.
I tried eveything, but I can't get SAWStudio to automate the movements I make with the filter plugin... :(

Does anyone knows???

Thnx guys!

Rob.

Brent Bennett
05-10-2006, 11:01 AM
I was wondering how I can automate the Cutoff fader of my VST filter plugin in SAWStudio.

You can only automate functions with native SS plugins. You can, however, automate the bypass for any plug via the channel strip.

DJ Synchro
05-10-2006, 11:07 AM
You can only automate functions with native SS plugins. You can, however, automate the bypass for any plug via the channel strip.

Your kidding :eek:

Damn... well in that case a question for Bob: Is there a chance that SAWStudio will support VST automation in future versions...?

And is there a native Filter plugin available somewhere? I need a filter!!! :D

Brent Bennett
05-10-2006, 11:15 AM
There are work arounds, such as using 2 instances of the vst plug. Set each one to their different settings, then automate one on and the other one off. Then when you need to change parameters, just automate the on-off in reverse.

DJ Synchro
05-10-2006, 11:20 AM
There are work arounds, such as using 2 instances of the vst plug. Set each one to their different settings, then automate one on and the other one off. Then when you need to change parameters, just automate the on-off in reverse.

Thnx but that's no option. I really need to fade in and out the filter plugin.
No native filters around?

Jay Q
05-10-2006, 12:05 PM
Thnx but that's no option. I really need to fade in and out the filter plugin.
No native filters around?Depending on your needs, this may or may not work for you. You can use the VST with an Aux send, and you can automate the amount of send. If you need to fade from one setting to another, you'd just use two sends and fade one up while fading the other one down. It's certainly not ideal, but in lieu of an automatable VST, it may be the best you can do.

Jay

TotalSonic
05-10-2006, 12:06 PM
VST plugin automation is currently limited to turning bypassing on & off. By loading a multiple instance of the plug to a track and loading it with different settings and then bypassing one off while turning the other on is one basic way of automating different preset loading. I've requested to Bob that SAW's native VST plugin preset format files (.vsp) could have their loading automated for the version 4.0 update but I'm not sure whether this is something he plans to implent for it or not.

Otherwise - we've had multiple discussions on this forum as to why VST plugin automation would be a bear to code and that its implementation would occur later than sooner. Recent updates allowing VST plugins to have their latency automatically compensated for is heartening though that some of the cludgy code & widely differing 3rd party implementations of Steinberg's "standard" can be surmounted.

Anyway -
If the filter plug is actually a VSTi you could possibly automate it via midi in SAW, although I haven't done this myself.

However - if you need an excellent easily manipulateable and fully automateable filter in SAWStudio I highly recommend both the Anwida Native Modulation Pack - http://www.anwida.com/product.asp?pid=1#

& the JMS Audioware RC Delay - http://www.jms-audioware.com/rcd.htm
(both of which I've used in a number of tracks to create DJ style dub and techno sweep effects)

Best regards,
Steve Berson

DJ Synchro
05-10-2006, 12:40 PM
VST plugin automation is currently limited to turning bypassing on & off. By loading a multiple instance of the plug to a track and loading it with different settings and then bypassing one off while turning the other on is one basic way of automating different preset loading. I've requested to Bob that SAW's native VST plugin preset format files (.vsp) could have their loading automated for the version 4.0 update but I'm not sure whether this is something he plans to implent for it or not.

Otherwise - we've had multiple discussions on this forum as to why VST plugin automation would be a bear to code and that its implementation would occur later than sooner. Recent updates allowing VST plugins to have their latency automatically compensated for is heartening though that some of the cludgy code & widely differing 3rd party implementations of Steinberg's "standard" can be surmounted.

Anyway -
If the filter plug is actually a VSTi you could possibly automate it via midi in SAW, although I haven't done this myself.

However - if you need an excellent easily manipulateable and fully automateable filter in SAWStudio I highly recommend both the Anwida Native Modulation Pack - http://www.anwida.com/product.asp?pid=1#

& the JMS Audioware RC Delay - http://www.jms-audioware.com/rcd.htm
(both of which I've used in a number of tracks to create DJ style dub and techno sweep effects)

Best regards,
Steve Berson

I tried downloading and installing the Native Modulation pack, but the files seem to be corrupt and cannot be opened :mad:

Oh well, I'll stick to the EQ then. The EQ is somewhat usable as a filter... Thnx for the support guys!

Rob

Bob L
05-10-2006, 01:33 PM
I am not sure what kind of filter you need... the built-in eq or eq plugin can be fully automated. The loc ut and hi cut filters and all controls, including the bandwidth and center frequencies.

Beyond that, try the JMS Eq plugin and the Sonoris EQ plugins... these have many more detailed options for controlling each of the band filter types.

Other than that... its very simple to create a fade in of a completely processed sound using two tracks... duplicate the track data to an adjacent track and patch the plugin you want use on that track... then simply automate a cross fade from one track to the other... this gives you incredible ramped in effects possibilities with any type of processing plugin.

Bob L

Pedro Itriago
05-10-2006, 02:05 PM
I think he's asking about filters with resonance control