PDA

View Full Version : setting up laptop studio/softsynth gigging machine?

enggo pah
05-11-2006, 05:02 PM
Hello,

I have been looking for the *right* laptop for these needs.

I want to run SAWBasic and gig playing softsynths with a USB MIDI controller, while simultaneously recording a few tracks through a RME Multiface and Behringer Pro-8 ADA8000.

I've been looking at the Intel Core Duo Centrino Asus computers. I'm eyeballing something with dual 1.83Ghz, 1Gb RAM, 5400rpm hard drive...

I'm very leery of buying used, but just for the information, how does an old P4 single-core 3.0Ghz machine compare to these dual core processors that have lower speeds.

Also, on the topic of softsynth applications, I would really like to tax the processor as little as possible. Can you give recommendations? I really do want a great Rhodes too, so I'm looking at the Scarbee Vintage Keyboard Collection, which recommends 1.5 gigs RAM or more, 1 gig being minimum. Would this pose 'issues'? Any other recommendations for a Rhodes sound?

What would it take for me to run into slowness, or trouble, on the Duo Centrino?? it being optimized solely for music of course, having no extra software and **** bogging it down.

Thanks dearly for any help on my first post here!
Robert

jazzboxmaker
05-11-2006, 05:51 PM
Hi Robert,

You'll want a 7200 rpm drive for the audio. Can't help with the CPU advice.

Lounge Lizard will do Rhodes and is a lot less demanding I think but I don't know how it measures up against the Scarbee Synth.

Bob L
05-11-2006, 07:31 PM
There are many dedicated rhodes plugins that will not tax the ram as hard... you may want to see if any of those suit your needs first.

I have found with my new dual core laptop that the performance is as good and perhaps better, cpu performance wise, than my 3 ghz single procesor... very close really... the real performance issue here would be the use of the 5400 rpm drive when recording at low latencies... definitely go fo a 7200 rpm drive.

Bob L

Naturally Digital
05-12-2006, 10:03 PM
I have found with my new dual core laptop that the performance is as good and perhaps better, cpu performance wise, than my 3 ghz single procesor... very close really... the real performance issue here would be the use of the 5400 rpm drive when recording at low latencies... definitely go fo a 7200 rpm drive.Bob, are you experiencing any of the 'old dual cpu issues' with this new dual-core?

Also, does your new laptop use shared video/system ram or dedicated?

Bob L
05-12-2006, 11:04 PM
So far no dual issues. I have also not changed any bios settings for video memory.

But... It seems many of the dual issues are exagerated when using the DSP based hardware plugins. I don't use any of those and have not seen any issues yet.

Bob L

Naturally Digital
05-12-2006, 11:25 PM
So far no dual issues. I have also not changed any bios settings for video memory.

But... It seems many of the dual issues are exagerated when using the DSP based hardware plugins. I don't use any of those and have not seen any issues yet.

Bob LGood news. Mind if I ask what model laptop you went with?

Pedro Itriago
05-12-2006, 11:43 PM
Good news. Mind if I ask what model laptop you went with?

http://www.gadgetreview.com/uploaded_images/capt.meu12111162011.tunisia_info_summit_meu121-711524.jpg

jazzboxmaker
05-13-2006, 07:28 AM
Hey I recognize that one. It's the new Granny Smith from Apple;)

Bob L
05-13-2006, 09:12 AM
The Fujitsu LifeBook 6410 model.

Bob L

Naturally Digital
05-13-2006, 10:54 AM
The Fujitsu LifeBook 6410 model.

Bob LThanks Bob. Looks like a nice machine. I notice it's got 256MB of dedicated video mem.

Cheers!
DV

enggo pah
05-15-2006, 02:08 PM

Bob L

Can you elaborate on these 'dual issues'? What hardware plugins?

So for the math of softsynths, plugins, and recording simultaneously, 1.83 would be good? I am thinking of getting 2 gigs ram at the start now. Or would it be wiser to jump to the 2 ghz and leave the ram for now? Hmmm.

Bob L
05-15-2006, 02:29 PM
If you are planning to use multiple VST sampler and synth plugs... get the ram... the cpu speed will not be noticable compared to Windows bogging down in ram. Those VST plugs can soak up lots of ram to load one or two good samples.

Bob L

enggo pah
05-15-2006, 03:25 PM
Thanks. I'm almost ready to buy.

As far as battery life and heat output go, has anyone here had any problems with 7200rpm internal hard disks?
------
update: research indicates that there is not much difference in either category.

Bob L
05-15-2006, 04:30 PM
With any of these types of laptops you can forget about battery life... use the power supply.

Bob L