PDA

View Full Version : VU Meters

DJ Synchro
06-06-2006, 11:47 AM
Hi,

In one of the SAWStudio screenshots on the SAWStudio site, I saw a screenshot of SAWStudio's Multitrack wich two VU meters next to eachother. I really like to have the meter for the current hottrack next to the masteroutput fader. Is this possible in the Multitrack view? I tried this but I didn't get it to work. Anyone knows how this is done? :confused:
Thnx!

Dave Labrecque
06-06-2006, 11:55 AM
Hi,

In one of the SAWStudio screenshots on the SAWStudio site, I saw a screenshot of SAWStudio's Multitrack wich two VU meters next to eachother. I really like to have the meter for the current hottrack next to the masteroutput fader. Is this possible in the Multitrack view? I tried this but I didn't get it to work. Anyone knows how this is done? :confused:
Thnx!

Well, we're probably miscommunicating here, but the MT view doesn't have any meters. You can move any track and/or channel to be adjacent to any other track and/or channel (shift-drag track number with appropriate navigation link enabled), but the hot track/channel won't stay next to any other track/channel in any display as you change the hot track.

Maybe the screen shot you saw had some record meters open on top of the MT?

DJ Synchro
06-06-2006, 12:05 PM
Hmm, I can't seem to find the screenshot I saw. Anyway,
Is it even possible to have the master output meter next to the big hottrack meter at the same time? That's my question really... :)

TotalSonic
06-06-2006, 12:40 PM
PSP Audioware makes a freeware virtual VU meter as a VST plugin available at
http://www.pspaudioware.com/indexen.html?url=http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/vmeter.html;

There's also a great SAW native K-meter (which shows both peak and average levels using Bob Katz's system) available for $45 at
http://www.sonoris.nl/en/smtr.php

Or you can install the freeware JMS FX32 Linker at
http://www.jms-audioware.com/progs/FX32B6.exe
(info at http://www.jms-audioware.com/fx32_linker.htm )
which will allow you to load in the old SAWPro Meter Bridge plugin available for free download at
http://www.sawstudio.com/downloads/FX_Meter32_17.exe

All of these things will allow you to have additional meters for any track (input, output or return) that you can place anywhere on your screen.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

antiClick
06-06-2006, 12:44 PM
You mean Meter Bridge:
http://sawstudio.com/Tutorials/MeterBridge/MeterBridgeOverviewOperation.html

It floats like any other plugin, so you can move it anywhere.

Is it even possible to have the master output meter next to the big hottrack meter at the same time? That's my question really... :)

Dave Labrecque
06-06-2006, 03:08 PM

Short answer: no.

The big hottrack meter that you describe is actually the bottom of one channel of the Zoom view. The master output meter would also appear in the Zoom view. And the only way for them to be next to each other is for you to arrange them that way; but as soon as you changed hottracks, you'd be on a different part of the mixer, so the master output meter would be gone.

Longer answer (which is actually shorter): see Steve's post. :)

Carl G.
06-06-2006, 11:13 PM
Not to forget the very versatile, powerful, UnspectorXL Level Meter, Mulitmeter, and Spectrum Analyzer, from Elemental Audio - a definitive metering tool.
www.elementalaudio.com

TotalSonic
06-07-2006, 12:27 AM
Not to forget the very versatile, powerful, UnspectorXL Level Meter, Mulitmeter, and Spectrum Analyzer, from Elemental Audio - a definitive metering tool.
www.elementalaudio.com

Hey Carl -
You haven't been to their site in a little bit, have you?
Inspector is now unfortunately currently completely unavailable due to the changes implemented by the new owners, "Roger Nichols Digital, Inc."

Best regards,
Steve Berson

sebastiandybing
06-07-2006, 01:52 AM
You can "lock" a mixer view by Right-click on the close button.

So if you jump to output 1 (usely the marster output) and right-click
the close button then a little lock symbol will be displayed.

But I would suggest buying the Sonoris K-meter.

Sebastian

Carl G.
06-07-2006, 05:48 AM
Hey Carl -
You haven't been to their site in a little bit, have you?
Inspector is now unfortunately currently completely unavailable due to the changes implemented by the new owners, "Roger Nichols Digital, Inc."

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Steve,
From their site:
"Question: Did Roger Nichols Digital buy Elemental Audio?
Answer: No. Elemental Audio was not purchased by Roger Nichols Digital. Elemental Audio continues to operate as a separate entity."

Roger just retains exclusive distributorship.

Thanks for the headsup though.... my spam filter inadvertantly trashed their email notification. That said thing is - (sung to the tune of Jo Stafford's "The Shrimp Boats are a Comin')
"The ILock is a comin'"

Ken Somjet
06-07-2006, 09:42 AM
sonoris and elemental's K-SYS(K-12/K-14/K-20) is very good.

I like them.

Bob L
06-07-2006, 09:55 AM
In Lite and Full, you can lock any mixer view so it does not chase the hottrack... therefore you can jump to the out track master and lock it (Right-Click the Close button)... this will keep the out meter onscreen no matter where you jump in the MT.
You can arrange tracks in any order, so you can easily have the out meter next to an input track... and with the proper Zoom Mixer view in Full see multiple track combinations together... locked in position.

The various plugin meters mentioned offer complete versatility in keeping any chan meter onscreen.

Bob L

tomasino
06-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Thanks Bob,

I knew there was a way to do this - just couldn't remember.

Also, I use the I/R/O buttons a lot - to jump to the whichever buss.
Mark off a region, loop playback and then I/R/O, like a crazy person.
Super zippy fast.

I've been threatening to get the K-Meter for a while. Looks like the next best way to deal with it, not to mention the different metering perspective it sounds like it brings. The native K-Meter AND the Frequency Analyzer - whoa, I think that'll cover the entire issue for me.

TotalSonic
06-07-2006, 10:28 AM
Steve,
From their site:
Answer: No. Elemental Audio was not purchased by Roger Nichols Digital. Elemental Audio continues to operate as a separate entity."

Roger just retains exclusive distributorship.

Thanks for the headsup though.... my spam filter inadvertantly trashed their email notification. That said thing is - (sung to the tune of Jo Stafford's "The Shrimp Boats are a Comin')
"The ILock is a comin'"

Answer: No. He just double the price of the plugins, added an intrusive copy protection scheme, and inexplicably stopped distribution on one of their most useful and popular offerings. Not to mention changed the names of the plugs to REALLY dumb sounding ones!

Always knew that someone who was involved with making Steve "Perfect Groove On The 1st Try" Gadd do take after take had to be at least a little bit crazy. ;)

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Brent Bennett
06-07-2006, 11:07 AM
Always knew that someone who was involved with making Steve "Perfect Groove On The 1st Try" Gadd do take after take had to be at least a little bit crazy. ;)

Best regards,
Steve Berson

I agree with that!

Carl G.
06-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Answer: No. He just double the price of the plugins, added an intrusive copy protection scheme....
Steve Berson
It's got a few drawbacks but overall, I think it's one of the most comprehensive meter plugs available (Bob's Freq Analyzer by far topping their's though).
Glad I bought it when I did! However, their DUMPING the distribution rights makes me cringe the next time I upgrade my computer!!

I don't know the first thing about ILock.... so I will probably NOT upgrade to the free upgrade coming up (because of expected changes of the protection scheme in it). Any advice on that?

TotalSonic
06-07-2006, 12:11 PM
It's got a few drawbacks but overall, I think it's one of the most comprehensive meter plugs available (Bob's Freq Analyzer by far topping their's though).
Glad I bought it when I did! However, their DUMPING the distribution rights makes me cringe the next time I upgrade my computer!!

I don't know the first thing about ILock.... so I will probably NOT upgrade to the free upgrade coming up (because of expected changes of the protection scheme in it). Any advice on that?

If it ain't broken - why "fix" it??

Your "vintage" software might actually end up being worth more!
:D

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Brent Bennett
06-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Your "vintage" software might actually end up being worth more!

Have we actually reached that point in time where vintage software is a hot commodity?? :rolleyes: I have a few pieces I'd unload if anyone is interested... dos comes to mind.

I'll trade you my vintage software, for some of your vintage mics.

bcorkery
06-07-2006, 02:27 PM

Best regards,
Steve BersonSteve,
I got that too. Doesn't sound like good news to me.

-Bill

Dave Labrecque
06-07-2006, 09:23 PM

LOL! :D

TotalSonic
06-08-2006, 07:55 AM
LOL! :D

Hey - I got a circa 1985 actually made in the USA Shure SM58 that I would be glad to trade for Sibelius 2!
;)

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Carl G.
06-08-2006, 08:05 AM
Have we actually reached that point in time where vintage software is a hot commodity?? :rolleyes: I have a few pieces I'd unload if anyone is interested... dos comes to mind.

ah... back to the ol' "I own, I don't own" deal.

How'bout I give you my license to permanently use, have and hold this vintage software...
and you make up a license for me to permanently 'use, have and hold' your vintage mics? :)

Carl G.
06-08-2006, 08:08 AM

But....

When I get a new pristine mic pre - the Mic works better.
When you get a new OS - the software may not work at all!

But that's OK... don't worry.... I won't mind. :)

Brent Bennett
06-09-2006, 07:01 PM
But....

When I get a new pristine mic pre - the Mic works better.
When you get a new OS - the software may not work at all!

But that's OK... don't worry.... I won't mind. :)

Carl, it seems as if we're both trading software for hardware. Let me know if you find a taker for the deal. :p