PDA

View Full Version : Question about BuildMix?

Sam C
06-11-2006, 03:45 PM
I was just building a mix that includes a mono solo guitar and a stereo track. When I select buildmix for these two tracks, in stereo, it changes my mono solo to stereo. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong but I don't want my mono solo intro (or solo middle) to be stereo after the buildmix. What am I doing wrong?

Also, I wonder if I have always been making this mistake or is it a brain fart?

Microstudio
06-11-2006, 03:57 PM
I was just building a mix that includes a mono solo guitar and a stereo track. When I select buildmix for these two tracks, in stereo, it changes my mono solo to stereo. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong but I don't want my mono solo intro (or solo middle) to be stereo after the buildmix. What am I doing wrong?

Also, I wonder if I have always been making this mistake or is it a brain fart?

I think when you use build mix to new sound file it makes a stereo file. Try building a mix to current hot track and then save the as a .wav?

Sam C
06-11-2006, 04:01 PM
I am building to current HT. I just can't get my mono guitar to stay mono??? It's driving me nuts.

Thanks for the shades Micro!

Leadfoot
06-11-2006, 04:14 PM
in the build mix dialog box over on the right it says "stereo".. click on it and it will change to mono.. hth.

tony

Sam C
06-11-2006, 04:29 PM
in the build mix dialog box over on the right it says "stereo".. click on it and it will change to mono.. hth.

But now the entire build mix is mono!

I have a mono track on track 1 and a stereo track on track 2.

I want to do a build mix to current hot track on MT 3.

I need to keep track 1 as a mono track. It is set to mono in the I/A.

I want track 2 to remain a stereo track.

And, I want the build mix to be a stereo track on MT3.

I can't seem to get this done?

Sam C
06-11-2006, 04:53 PM
I figured it out. I had Neodynium set to 1 track and it was making my mono signal look like a stereo signal.

MMP
06-11-2006, 04:54 PM
Do you have stereo plugins on track 1? If so, you need something post fader to bring it back to mono.

Regards,

MM

MMP
06-11-2006, 04:55 PM
Oops...too late.

MM

UpTilDawn
06-11-2006, 04:57 PM
How do you know that the buildmix is making your mono gtr. stereo? Are you using stereo FX on the mono track? That will certainly come out stereo in the buildmix unless you build that track to mono first and then use that new mono track in your composite build mix (minus the original gtr. track, of course).
In fact, how was your original gtr. track recorded?... stereo?
In any case, you could buildmix of the gtr track first to a new hot track in mono.... then buildmix the mono gtr with your other track, minus the original gtr track.

If none of this works, then I don't see how you can end up with a mono gtr track in your stereo mix.
And check your output and aux tracks..... are there stereo FX affecting the buildmix of that gtr track?

DanT

UpTilDawn
06-11-2006, 04:58 PM
OOPS 2

Sam C
06-11-2006, 05:01 PM
MMP & UptilDawn, thanks for the help.

The way I knew my guitar track, which was recorded mono, was stereo was because it was also an intro. When I did build mix it showed up as stereo. But, I forgot about Neodynium.

Thanks!

Bob L
06-11-2006, 10:31 PM
If you are building a mix into a single file of two tracks and you select stereo for the file type... why are you confused that the intro of the file will also be stereo... the file can be only mono or stereo... not both... you are combining the mono with the stereo signal into a stereo file?

If you select the file to be mono... then the WHOLE file will be mono.

You can mark the front section and build that as mono and then mark the back section and build that as stereo... but one build operation into a single file can not be mono and stereo in different parts of the same file.

It does not matter that the resulting file is stereo in the beginning... the mono guitar will still play as a perfect mono signal if it was panned in the middle.

Not quite sure I'm understanding what you were actually concerned with here . :)

Bob L

Sam C
06-12-2006, 05:52 AM
Bob, because of the plug in it was showing up as a stereo track. My mistake.