PDA

View Full Version : CD Volume identification in Windows

Carl G.
06-18-2006, 02:37 AM
How do I get Windows Explorer to display the CD Volume number (of house burned CD)?

I can read it in my burning software, and I can reat it in my logging software (EZ CAT), but I can't figure out how to read it in Explorer to verify I have the 'right' CD in the player. I tried the right click options in the File pane but I see no option for "CD VOLUME" display. Help.
(I guess I could always verify it again with EZ Cat...but that double entry would mess up my logging system). I just simply want to view the CD Volume Number in Explorer somehow.

Pedro Itriago
06-18-2006, 03:42 AM
How do I get Windows Explorer to display the CD Volume number (of house burned CD)?

I can read it in my burning software, and I can reat it in my logging software (EZ CAT), but I can't figure out how to read it in Explorer to verify I have the 'right' CD in the player. I tried the right click options in the File pane but I see no option for "CD VOLUME" display. Help.
(I guess I could always verify it again with EZ Cat...but that double entry would mess up my logging system). I just simply want to view the CD Volume Number in Explorer somehow.

If you're looking for the serial number, I hate to say this, but you have to open a cmd window, change to the cd dire and type dir /p. The second thing you'll see it's the disk seiral number.

Carl G.
06-18-2006, 03:48 PM
If you're looking for the serial number, I to say this, but you have to open a cmd window, change to the cd dire and type dir /p. The second thing you'll see it's the disk seiral number.
Works Great Pedro!!
Thanks!

Brent Bennett
06-18-2006, 07:07 PM
Carl, if you make a bat file, this process can be done each time with a double click. Just create a new text document and paste the following code in it. Then change the file extension to filename.bat

echo off
cls
g:
dir /p
pause

Ok, after reading my own signature, I just put it here. Change the drive letter (g: to your drive, then change the extension to .bat then double-click to taste.:p

Pedro Itriago
06-19-2006, 09:20 AM
Oh Brent. Quoting a Yes song, if only you knew :eek:

Brent Bennett
06-19-2006, 01:18 PM
if only you knew :eek:

If only I had a nickel for every time I heard that.

Pedro Itriago
06-19-2006, 01:21 PM
it's not a nickel, but I can give you my 2 cents any day :D

Brent Bennett
06-19-2006, 01:23 PM
I decided that serial number on the CD thing is pretty cool. I never knew a good way to keep track of the thousands of CD's I burn... some are labelled and some not. Anyway I put a user input string in the bat file so I could use it as well. It will ask for the drive letter so you can use it for all drives without changing it. Here's the code and file.

@echo off
cls
SET /P CDdrive=Type in the drive letter and press ENTER...
%CDdrive%:
dir /p
pause

Brent Bennett
06-19-2006, 01:25 PM
it's not a nickel, but I can give you my 2 cents any day :D

Sounds like I'm back on the british pound with that conversion.

Carl G.
06-20-2006, 06:49 AM
I decided that serial number on the CD thing is pretty cool. I never knew a good way to keep track of the thousands of CD's I burn... some are labelled and some not. Anyway I put a user input string in the bat file so I could use it as well. It will ask for the drive letter so you can use it for all drives without changing it. Here's the code and file.

@echo off
cls
SET /P CDdrive=Type in the drive letter and press ENTER...
%CDdrive%:
dir /p
pause

Better. Nice. Thanks!