PDA

View Full Version : WD My Book

Neal Starrett
06-18-2006, 11:58 AM
I picked up a Western Digital usb/firewire 320GB at Circuit City for $185 last week. Its my first firewire drive and I'm really happy with it. I needed it for the ever growing large vst librarys. I did start to have alot of buffer overrun messages the last few days. I searched the forum and came up with Rail Jon Roguts advise to get a firewire card with the TI chipset. I bought the ADS Pyro PCI 64 and all seems well so far. I noticed faster load times from the WD and overall better response with this card. Maybe this is some kind of clue to the over run messages that seem to trouble some users. Not sure. Anyways, while buying the ADS card today I noticed the WD even cheaper,,$150,,not sure if its a 1 day special but I'd thought maybe someone might be interested.

Mark Stebbeds
06-18-2006, 12:58 PM
I searched the forum and came up with Rail Jon Roguts advise to get a firewire card with the TI chipset. I bought the ADS Pyro PCI 64 and all seems well so far. I noticed faster load times from the WD and overall better response with this card. Maybe this is some kind of clue to the over run messages that seem to trouble some users.

Yes, a TI chipset on your firewire controller, and an Oxford 911 chipset in the firewire drive make for fastest transfer of data.

Sometimes you have to look hard to find out if these chipsets are involved because they aren't necessarily credited unless you find a spec sheet.

Mark

Neal Starrett
06-18-2006, 01:37 PM
Mark, how did you find out about the Oxford 911? I didnt know this. I searched their site but couldnt find much on it there. Just curious.

antiClick
06-19-2006, 02:36 PM
Seems like the new card hogs the PCI bus.
If you the oxfort chipset would be included in the Modo bridge, your firewire device wouldn't compete for PCI bus troughput.

Do a search on this forum about "PCI latency". It exists a software that lets you tweak the priority of every PCI/AGP card.

Good luck!

I picked up a Western Digital usb/firewire 320GB at Circuit City for $185 last week. Its my first firewire drive and I'm really happy with it. I needed it for the ever growing large vst librarys. I did start to have alot of buffer overrun messages the last few days. I searched the forum and came up with Rail Jon Roguts advise to get a firewire card with the TI chipset. I bought the ADS Pyro PCI 64 and all seems well so far. I noticed faster load times from the WD and overall better response with this card. Maybe this is some kind of clue to the over run messages that seem to trouble some users. Not sure. Anyways, while buying the ADS card today I noticed the WD even cheaper,,$150,,not sure if its a 1 day special but I'd thought maybe someone might be interested.