PDA

View Full Version : Scenes: A suggestion for 4.0

mikebuzz
06-22-2006, 10:48 AM
Ok so I have thought about this for a while before posting this idea.

I came from the Roland VS2480 all in one box they have what are called SCENES they are a snapshot of all mixer settings and automation , I found them to be very useful when making multiple mixes ( during a session just hit one of the scenes to store the settings for comparison later ) this has been for ME a valuable function.

I know you can just save the EDL as a new name for reference and this is really just like that in a way, but there would be the snapshots inside the EDL that would allow you to do a very quick comparison of different mixes on the fly and keep the EDL count down. I like this idea because I can compare a variation in the settings/mix in a section very quickly and accurately.

So any feedback on this idea or would it even be possible in the current code ???? There is real estate on the interface available ( I'm sure it has been allocated but )

Later
Buzz

PS: like a micro edl inside of the edl or something of that nature
:D

PSS: or maybe a SHFT-CTRL-S and automatically append the edl name with a number , than have an easy way to open it back up ?

Bob L
06-22-2006, 11:34 AM
I had something similar to that in SAWPro with the use of the number keys for 9 variations of the edl...

With all the options in Studio... I didn't really feel a need for that older feature...

I do have some ideas along this line for a new feature in SS... we'll see how it develops.

Bob L

mikebuzz
06-22-2006, 11:44 AM
I personally find this type of function very useful !! , would love to see something like that happen.
Thanks for considering it BOB

LAter
Buzz

Dave Labrecque
06-22-2006, 08:31 PM
I haven't had the chance to play with the show control options introduced to SAW in the relatively recent past, but I bet it would be worth a gander. I had the impression one could swap EDLs on the fly using show control.

If that doesn't work out, you could pretty simply swap EDLs with a quick visit to the recent session drop down menu. You can also load two (or more) incarnations of SAW at the same time and load different EDLs in each incarnation. Just don't try to play 'em at the same time, unless they're assigned to different output devices.

sebastiandybing
06-23-2006, 07:14 AM
It would be nice with scenes, but I am just wondering how
SS should react if there is automation on a track.
How should SS handle that situation.

Could it be possible to let a "scene memory" scan the tracks
for automation and if there is automation on a track,
it would open it in "Offset mode" and then apply the
difference between automation and scene memory ?

Sebastian

mikebuzz
06-27-2006, 09:37 AM
MAN I could have used SCENES BIG time last night , we are in the process of mixing several songs , one of them we were going through several incarnations of parts/mixes and SCENES would have made life REALLY easy.
I do save different mix's as EDL'S but after 5+ versions ( ya 5 !!!! ) it can get really busy in the folder.

PLEASE give me SCENES , Imaging trying to keep track of 12 songs with thier variations AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

LAter
Buzz

I just think this would be a big help in work flow

Bob L
06-27-2006, 10:17 AM
Do you think scenes would not also take up space in the folder?

Scenes will start making every edl 5, 10, 20 times as big... this also translates to each undo file... and each load or reload of the session... this stuff does not come for free.... proper organization and simplifyng your process is the best way to not get bogged down with a bad case of complicitis. :)

Save_As is the most powerful scene tool you could ever have. :D

Bob L

mikebuzz
06-27-2006, 12:46 PM
By scenes I mean a row of buttons on the top row that ar attached to the edl I would never really see them !!! you know 1-10 etc. like the locators .

And YES i need to work on my organization of files !!!!!

Having multiple mix's or expirimenting with different setups in an EDL is where I would like the SCENES , just easier IMO to be organized and be able to try different things in a song before sending it off to mastering.

Later
Buzz

Dave Labrecque
06-27-2006, 01:23 PM
By scenes I mean a row of buttons on the top row that ar attached to the edl I would never really see them !!! you know 1-10 etc. like the locators .

And YES i need to work on my organization of files !!!!!

Having multiple mix's or expirimenting with different setups in an EDL is where I would like the SCENES , just easier IMO to be organized and be able to try different things in a song before sending it off to mastering.

Later
Buzz

And I believe granting your wish would create all the big file sizes that Bob's talking about. Creative naming of spin-off EDLs (with additional documentation, if necessary), is the way to go, I think.

I think there's a planned feature where we can add notes to each session. That would help.

Bob L
06-27-2006, 02:19 PM
As far as a number system with a quick link to load the next version...

Try this... SaveAs... name the edl with _a, _b, etc on the end of the name...
now to quickly switch versions... simply use the Recent Session FileList option on the File menu... all 10 (up to 30) versions will be at the top of the list... click one to switch...

I'm not sure how much better or more powerful this idea can get. :)

Bob L

Carl G.
06-27-2006, 05:50 PM
As far as a number system with a quick link to load the next version...

Try this... SaveAs... name the edl with _a, _b, etc on the end of the name...
now to quickly switch versions... simply use the Recent Session FileList option on the File menu... all 10 (up to 30) versions will be at the top of the list... click one to switch...

I'm not sure how much better or more powerful this idea can get. :)

Bob L
Bob.. THAT IS the best way! I do it frequently... keeps everything organized and at the end of the final way I like it... I simply note it with the word "FinalMix". If at a later time somebody changes their minds I have the other edl's I can go back to via Recent Playlist.... or if years later... simply order files by DATE/TIME... easy as pie!

UpTilDawn
07-05-2006, 05:24 PM
I know you can just save the EDL as a new name for reference and this is really just like that in a way, but there would be the snapshots inside the EDL that would allow you to do a very quick comparison of different mixes on the fly and keep the EDL count down. I like this idea because I can compare a variation in the settings/mix in a section very quickly and accurately.

Mike, having come from the Roland VS world myself, I can understand your thinking on this... I was also off on this "lack" of a feature for a long time.

I think there's a couple things you could consider, however, which would make it less painful to get used to living without scenes.

First, unless the 2480 loaded scenes vastly different than the previous versions, there is always that load time.... Stop playback, hit the scene button and wait for it to load.... even though it's only a second or two, my aural memory was already disrupted and there was no "instant" comparison.

However, in Saw you have the advantage of LAYERS. You can easily select and copy all of the regions to a song into all four layers (in Lite) and test variations to your mixes by writing different automation to each layer... Granted, it's not exactly the same, but it could work pretty nicely when testing ideas AND you can A/B ON THE FLY!

Secondly, loading a saved edl variation has to be at least as fast as using the scene buttons. There's no extra load to the system and everything is loaded exactly as you want it and expect it with the Roland scenes. IN FACT, try opening two instances of SAW and keeping them loaded on you task bar. You can quickly jump from the original to your test edl., make changes, save as another test, or simply use one as a sketch pad, the other as your reference. I use this all the time for reasons including this kind of testing and otherwise... Sometimes have three or more open at the same time. You can't do that with the 2480!!!!

I just LOVE Saw!

DanT

mikebuzz
07-05-2006, 10:23 PM
Never thought of 2 Saw's running ( wow World chainsaw Massacre !!! ) I'll have to give that a try , I have been saving by Date/mix a-b-c etc. or 1-2-3 ( need to make that consistant !)
But having scenes would be nice , I think Saw would load them MUCH quicker than the 2480 .

Later
Buzz

PS: Dan do you still use the 2480 ?? I do as my A/D with 2 rpc-1 cards

dabeat
07-06-2006, 02:45 PM
A suggestion for 4.0
release next week :p

mghtx
07-06-2006, 03:30 PM
I still have my VS1680, don't know why....I should sell it.......

Anyway, the "save-as" is great, and is the way to go. It's easier and faster than the "scenes" on the VS.

UpTilDawn
07-06-2006, 04:08 PM
Never had the 2480, but I still have and on occasion, use the 1680. I mostly use it to record a few tracks at some location away from the studio and when I don't need to bring my remote rig. I also keep it around because one of my long distance recording partners still uses it for his tracking. The Roland's ability to archive to cd is really useful in that case 'cause he can just mail me his entire mix/session and I can open it in the 1680 and transfer tracks, with processing to the Saw tower. I still like many of the Roland FX better than many of the software plugs I've tried, so it comes in handy as an external FX device also.

Almost all of my tracking to Saw is done through some config. of Presonus/RME combo, mostly the Digimax/Digiface for remote and M80/Multiface for in house.

DanT

Veit Kenner
07-07-2006, 12:22 AM
Hi,

I've been following this thread for a while with great interest. By thinking about all the suggestions that came up and putting it all together I realized that you perhaps should look into the ShowControl feature.

I just tried it, loaded a couple of different EDLs and rightclicked around. Almost instant load and playback. OK, those were very simple editing EDLs.

I could think that this gives you what you are looking for.

Happy playing,

Veit

mikebuzz
07-07-2006, 09:57 AM
WOW I'll have to try that V
LAter]
Buzz

Veit Kenner
07-07-2006, 02:08 PM
WOW I'll have to try that V
Let us know how it works out for you :-)

Thanks,

Veit

mikebuzz
07-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Veit I tried the show control that works great for loading up different edl's quickly , however you have to save them as new edl's first ( Is this what you were talking about ?? ))

LAter
Buzz

Veit Kenner
07-07-2006, 11:18 PM
Veit I tried the show control that works great for loading up different edl's quickly , however you have to save them as new edl's first ( Is this what you were talking about ?? ))
Definitely yes.

From reading the thread I came to the conclusion that a good way of "creating scenes" would be to save EDLs with different descriptive names. Then on top of it use the ShowView for quickly jumping back and forth.

I don't know the 2480 scenes but from what I read above solution is not so far away from it :-)

Glad if this works out for you.

Cheers,

Veit

mikebuzz
07-08-2006, 09:21 AM
The scenes on the 2480 were just snapshots of the mixer and automation with multiple buttons for quick recall thats all , Thanks Veit this is a way to to just about the same thing but having to save and reload the wav's .

LAter
Buzz