PDA

View Full Version : not so clean compressors and eq's

joho
06-25-2006, 03:33 PM
Bob,

You have done such a wonderful job on programming SAW.

There is not much really to ask for... But... For this kind of efficient coding I just couldn't resist on asking these couple of questions:

1. Do you think it's possible to have the first daw in history to be able to have "dirty" sound on an input channel. What I mean is a little saturation as an analog channel would react the higher it would be turned up? Just as an "analog" option to turn on if desired?

2. Same for compressors... you have some REALLY REALLY nice clean ones... how about an option of switching them to dirty ones (1176, distressor etc...)?

I just couldn't be happier (along with probably almost a million of customers :))

Well... something I have wanted to ask in a long time now... If any of this has been in your thoughts ...

-Johannes

Naturally Digital
06-25-2006, 04:05 PM
Johannes,

You should have a look at the Sonoris Compressor plugin (and free Leveller). It is capable of some very nice "color". www.sonoris.nl (http://www.sonoris.nl)

mikebuzz
06-25-2006, 05:02 PM
Joho search for BLOCKFISH a nice DIRTY comp

Later
Buzz

Bob L
06-25-2006, 09:15 PM
You can have all the dirt you want... simply patch in your favorite DX and VST plugs. :)

Bob L

Warren
06-25-2006, 09:24 PM
"You can have all the dirt you want... simply patch in your favorite DX and VST plugs. "

LOL :D

So now we know how you feel.

So Bob do you normaly use patched hardware and no DX or VST's ?

Just curious about your mixing practices?

Warren

Bob L
06-25-2006, 09:33 PM
I use mostly just the channel strip processing, and then a few native third party plugins... and once in a while, a DX or VST specialty plug.

I truly have everything I generally need without getting lost in hundreds of plugins.

Bob L

joho
06-26-2006, 12:48 AM
You can have all the dirt you want... simply patch in your favorite DX and VST plugs. :)

Bob L
hehe...

Well can't blaim a guy for trying (asking).:p

I'm aware of all the color that is availible from hundreds of plugins. But sadly very few (if any) offer the same non-linearities that a real physical channel on a console (especially a very colourful one) has to offer. It's not about patching any plugins here or there, it's more about nonlinear colour/saturation on every channel, subgroup, master channel...etc (even if barely heard, if you sum the tracks you will get a TOTALLY different result - something we're all used to hearing on our favourite albums made on SSL's etc.).

It would be nice if this kind of software existed, where it's all in the program (or at least having an option to say turn this "thing" ON if desired). But then again, It wouldn't be an easy one to program, otherwise it would have been done by several....

I'm currently mixing with a multi-buss technique (similar to Michael Brauer's) and getting closer to the sound i'm trying to achieve. Actually getting really good results, considerging ITB. Basically I have 4-5 submasters and the Main stereo master. So depending of the colour is needed/wanted some things might be assigned to several submasters at the same time, along with the clean channel itself going to stereo out. Some stuff might stay totally clean, depends what the song wants. I mainly mix rock lately. Crazy concept, at first seems complicated, but it works really well.

Here's the link of how Michael does it (or did it at the time of the interview) http://www.mbrauer.com/articles/tapeop.asp?pp=1

Oh well, didn't mean to bore you, but I guess with some type of music ESPECIALLY rock - this kind of analog colour/saturation is what we're used to hearing. When you take it out - you definately know SOMETHING is wrong, or too demoish sounding. Then again with other some other types, you can stay clean as a whistle - and get great reults!

Either way, SAW is great and I didn't mean to start anything weird, just explaining you why I asked in the first place. The guy was just asking.:cool:

Eric
06-26-2006, 05:13 AM
I like using VB-Audio's Strip Tool for another flavor of console. http://www.vb-audio.com/
Download the free one, it's great!

joho
07-07-2006, 04:36 PM
I like using VB-Audio's Strip Tool for another flavor of console. http://www.vb-audio.com/
Download the free one, it's great!
Thanks for the recommendation. I have tried it out (already before), but not what I was looking for... Too brittle and small, digital (in a bad way). I already also use BLOCKFISH and others mentioned. Although they're good, it's not what I'm talking about, in the meaning of "channel colour".

I know Waves SSL 4000 compressors do it (saturate more as the gain increases - similar to a colourful analog board), some freeware compressors do it (mdsp compressor !), and also... I was really amazed by the Tritone Digital's Colortone PRO (with the right impulse) followed by JMS Hi Precision EQ... WOW... WOW...

These alternatives are mostly really, really, really power hungry. I guess I kinda understand some mixing engineers that swear by PT HD rig (after trying or testing just about everything on the planet...). That's actually the only system I have absolutely no expererience on. But from what I hear - things like these can be accomplished without the usual native problem "running out of CPU".

With Saw, it could only be my dream to have this "analog saturation" option on every channel... To me this could beat everything on the planet: performance wise, sound wise, automation wise, etc etc... I realize this could cost some serious CPU, but if some guys like it clean (or they have already recorded stuff dirty enough :) there's an option to not turn it on. Also like with an EQ & Dynamics, you would have a choice of whether it saturates before or after the stuff in the chain. This effect is subtle, but way cool if you have poorly recorded digital tracks. Guys like me (mixing engineers) don't always have a choice where their stuff is recorded & how. We usually just get the tracks. We have a choice of refusing, or trying to do some miracles. It's not like I have 5 Empirical Labs FATSO's lying around to do the sweetening necessary. Although if that's what it takes, I thing I will take this route... But my hopes are still to ITB all the way.

Guys (and gals), I know there are music styles that are more easier to mix and some are more demanding (so are the clients). For the past several years I've been in the top 3 of Mixing Engineers in my country (by the sales, hit singles, popularity & client satisfaction etc.). After selling my share in one of the biggest studios here, and starting on my own, it's like a long journey to start all over. I am now a freelancer going from place to place looking for some "foundations" or things that are in common or true to me. I hope SAW will be my friend and companion in this road to come (this topic is definitely not going to be decisive, but much rather my experience and results are...). I'm mostly mixing rock music, (although I'm the producer & mixer of the R&B band of the year :D haha).

I know in the future it's mostly all ITB, although most popular and the best results I've ever heard are derived from the hybrid approach of both. Each has it's strenghts and weaknesses. I'm just reporting what guys like me are missing in a fully ITB approach. All I can say is that would be cool if ...:D

-Johannes