PDA

View Full Version : Melodyne News

Perry
06-25-2006, 11:03 PM
Howdy!

For those interested in Melodyne in SAWStudio, I'm just testing version 3.1.0.9 and my initial test (using it in an actual working project) is very promising! It seems to be working quite well.

I put the new Bridge in as the first plugin on the first trk I want to use and Melodyne opens up automatically and I select to connect through the Bridge. Then I opened up a new arrangement window in Melodyne. Next, back in SAWStudio, from the Melodyne bridge I select the trk that I want to connect to in Melodyne.

On my computer, at this point, I had to go into the SAWStudio options menu on the Melodyne Bridge and set the option for "Cancel Always On Top Status" or otherwise the trk selections are hidden.

Once everything is set the Bridge is connecting right up with ASIO drivers through my Soundscape card and the whole process of doing a vocal and some BG trks is going very, very easily.

I'm connecting mutiple bridges and doing a "Transfer" of the lead vocal and 3 BG trks at once (well, I've just tried it with 2 trks at once actually and I'll try all 4 next). When I playback the trks in SAWStudio Melodyne goes right into record and when I stop SAWStudio it detects the trks and does it's thing and they pop up in the arrangement window there.

Then when I hit playback in SAWStudio the bridge switches to playback and the files play from Melodyne... great! :)

As far as I can tell so far this seems to be working correctly with SAWStudio.. whoo hooo! :)

I'll report back in a bit when I've tested further.

Perry

Perry
06-25-2006, 11:18 PM
Question for Bob :)

As mentioned I have to cancel the "On top" option to see the trk selections in the Melodyne Bridge. But then as soon as I hit playback or do anything in SAWStudio the bridge becomes hidden... Not too big of a deal but a little clumsy if you want to switch this while working and/or want to keep the Bridge on top.

Just wondering if it would be possible to fix it so the Track Select in the Melodyne bridge wasn't hidden behind the SAWStudio/Melodyne Bridge window? It's a little hard to describe this... it's actually a little window within the bigger Bridge window where the trk select is, but when you click on the bar the scroll down menu seems to be behind the bigger Bridge window and just barely peeks out at the bottom. So far this is the only slight problem I see and it's definitely not a show stopper... still testing.

Thanks! :)

Perry

Perry
06-26-2006, 12:39 AM
Following up... 4 trks transfered from SAWStudio into Melodyne 3.1 in one pass with no troubles. Playback through Melodyne though gives me slight audio warbly (distant motorboat?) background noise in the right channel of the forth trk. If I mute any of the first three this clears up and appears to be a monitoring situation only. Not sure what's up with that yet.

One other thing is that I had set a zero locate point in the multitrk in SAWStudio and Melodyne is ignoring this and reads out location based on the 'true' readout in SAWStudio.

Other than this things seem pretty good and for me very useable.
Thanks,

Perry

Bob L
06-26-2006, 01:35 AM
I had asked for an ontop option of the Melodyne arrangement window so you could keep this up while adjusting things in Melodyne and still start and stop playback from SS... did they do this?

I also asked that their transport allow starting and stopping also of just the Melodyne playback so you could stay in there while doing all the pitch manipulation adjustments with no need for SS playback... did they do this?

Bob L

Perry
06-26-2006, 01:36 PM
I had asked for an ontop option of the Melodyne arrangement window so you could keep this up while adjusting things in Melodyne and still start and stop playback from SS... did they do this?

I also asked that their transport allow starting and stopping also of just the Melodyne playback so you could stay in there while doing all the pitch manipulation adjustments with no need for SS playback... did they do this?

Bob L

Hi Bob :)

I had a feeling that you had a hand in this when I tried it. :) It all seems to be working much better now, but their transport doesn't allow stopping and starting Melodyne while connected to SAWStudio, unfortunately, and I wish too that it did. I'll dig through the menus more though and maybe there's a new setting that I've overlooked for this?

As to the 'on top' setting in Melodyne I'll have to look for this when I've got it up in front of me again here in a short while... I'll report back on that.

Thanks

Perry

Perry
06-26-2006, 03:35 PM

Bob L

OK... been trying this here. There is a setting in the preferences for Melodyne under "Bridge" for "Use hardware when playing back asyncronously."

Selecting this the playback in Melodyne initially works independently from SAWStudio when using the transport, but then switching back and forth using SAWStudio's transport it's very unstable... crashing Melodyne completely at times (but never SAWStudio so far).

I tried selecting this for local playback and then deselecting it to connect back exclusively to SAWStudio but this crashed too. Ummm.... I'll see if I can figure out some other options for using this but so far this is a no go.

For the "always on top" option I can't find anything like this... Melodyne needs this just for their own in-house use here... just keeping the preference menu on top while testing would be helpful.

Still... I'm encouraged that this is working as-is with SAWStudio and I don't have to use it completely 'stand alone'. Also, while searching for this other stuff, there's a setting I found that may remedy the audio glitching I was getting with 4 trks in Melodyne... I'll test that out and see what I get.

Back to work I go!

Perry

Bob L
06-26-2006, 03:42 PM
It has been over a year since we have been going back and forth on this... perhaps its a language thing or something... I really don't understand why its so difficult... they have made giant update changes... these two things were the main interactive complaints that stop me from using it.

Simple... SS starts and stops Melodyne when hooked with the bridge... and Melodyne's own transport starts and stops just Melodyne even with the bridge hooked... that way its easy to simply popup Melodyne's screens... do some tweaking... start and stop... make adjustments to the pitch... etc... then simply click on SS again and start playback in sync... It seems like this change should have taken the programmers all of about 20 mins to accomplish... :confused:

Bob L

Perry
06-26-2006, 04:12 PM
It has been over a year since we have been going back and forth on this... perhaps its a language thing or something... I really don't understand why its so difficult... they have made giant update changes... these two things were the main interactive complaints that stop me from using it.

Simple... SS starts and stops Melodyne when hooked with the bridge... and Melodyne's own transport starts and stops just Melodyne even with the bridge hooked... that way its easy to simply popup Melodyne's screens... do some tweaking... start and stop... make adjustments to the pitch... etc... then simply click on SS again and start playback in sync... It seems like this change should have taken the programmers all of about 20 mins to accomplish... :confused:

Bob L

Yep... hard to figure the logic of these things... why they don't get done. I've been trying this "harware playback" setting some more... keeps crashing. Best I've been able to do is to turn the option on and work in Melodyne 'stand alone' for a while (without closing SAWStudio), then deselecting the "hardware" option in Melodyne and closing and reopening the program. When I reopen my arrangement there it re-establishes connection with SAWStudio right away and I'm back to operating from SAWStudio. Not ideal but at least there's some added functionality this way. You just have to be sure to save your arrangement in Melodyne of course before closing it! :)

You would think that you could just de-select the playback option in Melodyne and be good to go... but it crashes all the time unless I restart it. In fact it doesn't seem to ever actually de-select the hardware option once it has been selected even if you uncheck it. Otherwise this would be a pretty simple work around until they can get this sorted out... if ever of course.

Odd that the program is so outstanding in other ways but they can't get some of these seemingly simple things right. The detection schemes and what it's actually doing as far as the automatic pitch manipulation is becoming downright scary. :)

Well... I'm back at it here. I'll report back if I find anything new on this.

Thanks Bob!

Perry

PS: Just to add... after working with it a bit the "on top" thing isn't too much of a bother. I just change this to assign the Bridge and then change it right back and then it's fine.... the rest.... would be nice to get it working properly.... one of these days maybe. Ummm... maybe I'll try writing to them too... can't hurt I guess. :)