PDA

View Full Version : Forum usage: how 'bout this?

Dave Labrecque
06-26-2006, 01:39 PM
Sometimes I only have a few minutes to hang on the forum before I gotta go do something (like work). Does anyone know of a way to 'save' the state of your read/unread emboldments (no, I don't think it's a word) so that you can pick up where you left off when you have time to come back?

I've tried leaving the browser open, but after a while, they all show as 'read'. :(

Carl G.
06-26-2006, 01:53 PM
Sometimes I only have a few minutes to hang on the forum before I gotta go do something (like work). Does anyone know of a way to 'save' the state of your read/unread emboldments (no, I don't think it's a word) so that you can pick up where you left off when you have time to come back?

I've tried leaving the browser open, but after a while, they all show as 'read'. :(
Firefox... bookmarks ..... save all tabs (into one folder you name, say SS).

Open Firefox later.... Bookmarks... SS folder.... Open all tabs.
Wah - Lah!

Dave Labrecque
06-26-2006, 02:40 PM
Firefox... bookmarks ..... save all tabs (into one folder you name, say SS).

Open Firefox later.... Bookmarks... SS folder.... Open all tabs.
Wah - Lah!

Huh? Sorry, Carl, I'm not following. What does tabs have to do with the read/unread status of the forum for me? :confused:

Bob L
06-26-2006, 03:34 PM
The forum will reset thread status after a few hours of inactivity on your account.

Jeanne is contacting tech support about it now.

Bob L

Carl G.
06-26-2006, 04:30 PM
Huh? Sorry, Carl, I'm not following. What does tabs have to do with the read/unread status of the forum for me? :confused:
Bob's got it right.... I thought you just wanted to hold in place the threads you had open (like in tabs) - for reopening the next time you were browsing.

Dave Labrecque
06-26-2006, 05:49 PM
Bob's got it right.... I thought you just wanted to hold in place the threads you had open (like in tabs) - for reopening the next time you were browsing.

I gotcha. I'm hoping for more than that, actually -- for the status of what I've read and haven't read to be remembered. Something like a "mark all read threads read" would achieve this, though I'd think it could be an automatic default behavior.

Heck, I'd think it would be the intention of the design to maintain the state in which the user left it. Unless I'm missing something...

Bob L
06-26-2006, 05:56 PM
This new forum update has an option in it for maintaining the unread threads when you leave... Jeanne just changed it... I just tried it and it seems to be ok.

It does consider a thread read once you open the thread.... the whole thread... so once you start to read a thread... finish it... and it will be marked read... but the other threads that you did not open will stay marked as new for the next time you come on.

This seems to be working better.

However, all the threafds are now marked as new... you will have to use the Mark all as read option... then catch up to now.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
06-26-2006, 06:11 PM
This new forum update has an option in it for maintaining the unread threads when you leave... Jeanne just changed it... I just tried it and it seems to be ok.

It does consider a thread read once you open the thread.... the whole thread... so once you start to read a thread... finish it... and it will be marked read... but the other threads that you did not open will stay marked as new for the next time you come on.

This seems to be working better.

However, all the threafds are now marked as new... you will have to use the Mark all as read option... then catch up to now.

Bob L

Great news! And great timing! Yeah, I noticed all the threads went to "unread" status. I'll check it out!

Thanks, Bob. And Jeanne! :)