PDA

View Full Version : Dumb recording level question

trock
06-27-2006, 05:18 PM
I am recording right now and was re doing a track that had already been recorded on. i forgot to reset everything on the track, such as EQ, PN and Level. however the level was very good on the incoming track on the SRC thing

my question is, if i do not reset on the track, does it record the signla, panned wherever, at the level i left it and with the eq settings i still had??

or does all that happen once the signal gets to the track

i am sure this is dumb and i could test it but i have to flip back and keep recording, just thought i would ask real quick

thanks

Warren
06-27-2006, 05:30 PM
Not sure but since you can record and do live at the same time with SAW I think you just recorded with panning and EQ to the File. If I understand the ? right.

Warren

Warren
06-27-2006, 05:31 PM
So yes! I think, maybe hum a yah! :D

DominicPerry
06-27-2006, 05:39 PM
If you have Pre-FX Patch Signal Flow ticked (Mixer menu) for the recorded channels, then the recording will be without all the EQ, etc. If it's not checked, then I think you've probably got the 'edited' version recorded. May I suggest that you note the settings and try to 'reverse' them?

Dominic

Bob L
06-28-2006, 03:29 AM
When the record meters are assigned to Devices (Mono or Stereo), the signal is dry and straight from the soundcard... eq and other channel settings only affect playback.

If the record meter is set to a Mixer Channel which has been assigned to the device, then the normal routing takes the signal from the Pre-FX Patch and that is after the eq and dynamics, but pre fader and pan. The recorded signal has been processed.

If the Pre-Fx Patch point is set in the Mixer menu, the data is recorded dry and flat again, in front of eq and dynamics.

Bob L

DominicPerry
06-28-2006, 04:21 AM
See - I nearly partly understood half of what was going on. :o

Bob, those two sentences are perfect to explain what I've been fighting with myself. For those of us who've never used a big console or who find it too difficult to work it out, a signal flow diagram would be really handy. But I've saved your two sentences to a txt file so that I can refer to them everytime I set things up, until I remember, that is.

Trock, did you manage to get a good recording?

Dominic

trock
06-28-2006, 04:44 AM
Hi Guys

Yep i managed to get a great recording!

the craziest thing is i have SAW full now and i am still in the mindset of conserve every track! i could have just moved to another track but no! i was like "ok this is 18, lets re use it"

thanks for the explanation, i wasn't quite sure what the deal was

thanks

Shawn
06-28-2006, 08:02 AM
i am still in the mindset of conserve every track! i could have just moved to another track but no! i was like "ok this is 18, lets re use it"

Now that you are running SS Full don't forget that you can also just switch recording to another layer and use the same input channel, it's also a breeze to copy the input channel settings to another recording track along with it's input device assignment using the alt-right click combo.

:)

trock
06-28-2006, 08:37 AM
ah huh!

i literally forgot about layers! i must be the dumbest SAW user of all time

no response necessary :)

thanks shawn

Naturally Digital
06-28-2006, 08:46 AM
For those of us who've never used a big console or who find it too difficult to work it out, a signal flow diagram would be really handy. Dominic, it's not exactly what you asked for but Yura included some signal flow diagrams on his Superconductor shade. Have a look if you haven't already.

Also, IIRC there are some diagrams in the downloadable tutorial, although they're not completely up to date.

Bob L
06-28-2006, 09:22 AM
For those of us who've never used a big console or who find it too difficult to work it out, a signal flow diagram would be really handy.

Take a look in the Support section of the website at www.SAWStudio.com (http://www.SAWStudio.com)

Go to the Online Training Library.

Look at the Understanding The Virtual Console Overview section.

There is a flow chart of the console routing.

Lots of detailed information in the tutorial... download it and install it locally on your system for quick reference with hunderds of detailed graphics.

Bob L

DominicPerry
06-28-2006, 10:52 AM
Excellent, thanks Bob, found it now.
Thanks Dave - I may use Yura's shade 'til I know what I'm doing. (If that ever happens).

Dominic

Jay Q
06-28-2006, 12:42 PM
There is a flow chart of the console routing.Figured it was worth posting:

http://www.sawstudio.com/Tutorials/SAWStudio/VirtualConsole/Images/RoutingSignalFlow.gif

Jay