PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a tempo map in MT

Microstudio
06-30-2006, 04:33 PM
Ok I have been making click tracks in the MT today to get used to it using some sounds I recored from my Boss Dr. Beat.

Just not to sure about a couple things.

1. Say I want 10 measures of 4/4 at 120 bpm and then I want to go into 5 measures of 3/4 at 100 bpm and then go back to the 4/4 at 120 bpm. How is this done.

How do you get an accent on beat one, or I mean do you have to select beat one of ever measure and then copy to another track, EQ it and then build mix to new track. Or is there another way?

Thanks for the help.

Bob L
06-30-2006, 04:58 PM
The Midi Workshop allows you to do this stuff with a few clicks... but you will need to have a VST synth for the sound generation... or use Loopazoid with a few drum samples.

To do this straight in the MT, you use the TimeLine TempoMap options... turn on Tempo Mode and then I would turn ON the grid set to a quarter note.

Set the default start tempo... then place the cursor on the measure you want to change and then use the TempoMap options to set a new tempo and/or time signature... continue moving down the timeline setting things where you want... actually fairly simple.

Now... for the sounds... you pick small region samples from the regions view and mark the timeline the length of the song you need, and then use the Ctrl-Key when you insert the selected region... it will snap to each quarter grid note and even cut each region if the sample is longer than the length of one beat.

The control of sounds and levels is up to you. So you may want to use two tracks if you want a different donbeat level or sample sound... create your two regions... on the first track, set the grid to a measure boundary before inserting the sample. On the second track use the quarter note. Then you can control the blend of the two tracks with the faders... you can leave them alone or build a mix of the two into one perfect click track.

If you use the MWS, the midi controls the downbeat and beat velocities separately on the one Conductor track and also allows you to alter the tempo and signatures later and the conductor track autromatically follows the changes.

Bob L

Microstudio
06-30-2006, 06:08 PM
Thanks Bob!