PDA

View Full Version : 2 RME 9652 cards

Larry Burger
07-07-2006, 03:50 PM
If we place 2 RME 9652 cards in one desktop computer, can we access all 48 channels from one ASIO driver setup?

Will it affect the latency?

Thank You.

Bob L
07-07-2006, 04:58 PM
I use 2 rme cards in one machine for my live rig and yes I can access all 48 channels... but I am using the MME driver.

I never tried theASIO with both cards to see if it works across both... knowing RME... I bet it will.

My live rig is packed away at the moment... but if I get time I will set it up and try.

Bob L

Brent Bennett
07-08-2006, 12:07 AM
I use 2 rme cards in one machine for my live rig and yes I can access all 48 channels... but I am using the MME driver.

I never tried theASIO with both cards to see if it works across both... knowing RME... I bet it will.

My live rig is packed away at the moment... but if I get time I will set it up and try.

Bob L

Can you please list the specs for your live machine you are using with this. I think it would give people an idea of what you can accomplish with what kind of computer specs. Including me. :)

Thanks.

Bob L
07-08-2006, 01:44 AM
From an earlier thread:

The live rig I mentioned is an Asus P4P800-VM (Micro ATX Form) motherboard. The full size P4P800-E Deluxe board works the same for a desktop machine.

A small Antec Micro ATX case... a firewire card (for DV Video transfers) and 2 RME Hammerfall DSP PCI cards connected to 2 DigiFace boxes and 6 ADA8000 converters for a total of 48 channels in and out live.

The video card used in that machine is an ATI Xtasy 9200 dual monitor card, which also allows for SVideo out if I need to do video monitoring to a TV monitor... that gives up one monitor though. I did not have room in the case for a Matrox PL750 which allows for dual monitors plus a video TV out.

The Matrox PL650 or 750 is used in many of my other production desktop machines... it works great and actually seems to have the best and fastest overlay video out of all cards I tested so far.

With many dual monitor cards, I have found that using the Clone mode may cause bus bog-downs and audio glitches or low latency troubles... I do not recommend or use Clone mode in any dual setups... dual modes seem ok... the Clone mode may be some kind of slow hardware hog or software method of duplicating monitor data across the bus and seems to interfere with low latency buffer settings.

Bob L

Carlos Mills
07-14-2006, 08:13 PM
I use 2 RME 9652 in an old P III mobo and it works very well. (MME drivers though).

If we place 2 RME 9652 cards in one desktop computer, can we access all 48 channels from one ASIO driver setup?

Will it affect the latency?

Thank You.

Warren
07-14-2006, 09:19 PM
Please pardon the dumb question but does the ASIO driver offer better
Latency Compensation than MME or am I way off base here? what is the difference?

Thanks
Warren

Bob L
07-15-2006, 01:14 AM
The RME MME drivers have offered great latency of 2 x 64 on well tuned machines. I personally feel the MME is more stable... I do not like the fact that the ASIO driver protocol repeats a buffer if the loop does not get around fast enough... this can cause weirdness in the overall audio... hard to put your finger on... but perhaps this is what people are hearing when they say that the MME seems to sound better than the ASIO... and you never know when its happening... at least with the MME, if the loop time is not met, you know because the audio will spit and glitch... so you know you have to up the latency.

In general I run 3 x 64 or 3 x 128 when doing live monitor mode.

Bob L