PDA

View Full Version : 'look ahead' gate??

DominicPerry
07-08-2006, 05:14 AM
I'm trying to take the band bleed out of a live vocal take and find that the SAW gate won't open fast enough to get the beginning of each word. I've tried the Levelizer gate too, which seems to be slightly faster but what I guess I need is something that opens before the level gets high but because the level is on its way up, in other words, a look ahead gate. Does this exist? I know I can make a copy of the track, bump it forward a bit and key off that, but is that really the only way it can be done? Am I being too lazy - should I be removing the bleed by hand? Am I expecting too much?

Thanks

Dominic

Arco
07-08-2006, 06:26 AM
the technique described in a couple of threads and you describe here (copying the track and keying off of it) is so quick...give it a try. (I guess that puts you in the too lazy camp :D)

I'm trying to take the band bleed out of a live vocal take and find that the SAW gate won't open fast enough to get the beginning of each word. I've tried the Levelizer gate too, which seems to be slightly faster but what I guess I need is something that opens before the level gets high but because the level is on its way up, in other words, a look ahead gate. Does this exist? I know I can make a copy of the track, bump it forward a bit and key off that, but is that really the only way it can be done? Am I being too lazy - should I be removing the bleed by hand? Am I expecting too much?

Thanks

Dominic

Bob L
07-08-2006, 09:18 AM
Its extremely fast and easy and much more exact, I find, to simply strip the silence sections, then use a short softedge on each vocal region.

The remove silence feature will do look ahead by using the attack time as a negative value... read about it in the helpfile.

Once you have removed the silence areas, you can use Select mode to select the regions and then apply a softedge on all the regions at once. I would actually recommend a faster softedge on the front of the regions, then a slower softedge on all the ends of the regions.

Bob L

DominicPerry
07-08-2006, 01:46 PM
Thanks Bob. I'll look into it.

Dominic