PDA

View Full Version : XP SP2?

DamonD
07-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Hi...

I just redid my system and set up a new HD with a fresh XP install w/SP1. When I went to get all of the updates I saw support for SP1 is going away on Oct 10, 2006.

Any pros/cons with SP2 with SAW and plugins, or in general that anyone might be having? I don't plan on buying M$ Vista at all, too much bloat.

SP1 is working fine for me now w/o problems. I have an AMD XP2800+ w/GigaByte GA-7VA mobo, 1GB ram, 300gb 16mb cache HD (audio), 200 GB(OS), 250gb(apps), Audigy 2ZS platinum pro (I know, I'll get a REAL audio card soon).

Thanx
DamonD

Sam C
07-08-2006, 04:08 PM
I put SP2 on my laptop, which I really do not record on although I have SAW loaded and I play with certain tunes for the fun of it. So far no problems.

DominicPerry
07-08-2006, 04:39 PM
XP Home SP2 here. No problems. Works fine with RME Digiface MME drivers 4x64/2x64. Trimmed and tuned, dual boot for music on a 1.73GHz laptop.

Dominic

Perry
07-08-2006, 04:46 PM
Personally if I could stay with SP1 I probably would.. unless there's ome specific reason not to. I'm not sure what exactly it will mean to you that MS is dropping support for earlier SP1. And there may be, sooner or later, something that you run that requires SP2.

But, SP2 adds a lot of "anti-everything" junk that you'll probably need to turn off for a DAW anyway. No doubt MS would rather have everyone move to this, but for a DAW it probably doesn't really add anything to the party that you need.

As I've upgraded and built new rigs I have moved into SP 2, and it seems to be fine once you get it set up and turn off all the stuff that you don't want, but there's nothing about it that I prefer over SP1 and SP1 is easier to set up.

Stay where you are if you can.... that's my advice. Of course, up to you what you'll decide to do. :)

AS far as not wanting Vista.. I didn't want XP!!! :eek: But, sooner or later we most likely will all be forced into whatever MS dishes out to us, because someone... somewhere... will drop support eventually for XP and you either freeze where you are or move on. Eventually it gets harder and harder to stay put as support is dropped for the older OS by various companies that we are apt to deal with.

We'll see how it goes I guess. :)

Best of luck,

Perry

Bob L
07-08-2006, 05:15 PM
Do the tweaks and turn all the firewall and automatic update stuff OFF... SP2 is annoying with all of the automatic prompting... once you finally get it all shut off... it seems to work ok.

I personally see no advantage in SP2... only more bloat... so if you can stay with SP1... I would do so.

Most new installs of XP force SP2... so you are stuck.

Bob L

DamonD
07-08-2006, 05:23 PM
Hi.

Thanx for the replys. I'll keep SP1 and when the update site forces SP2 on me, I'll get it then. I always turn off AutoUpdate and get them manually. I should be safe w/SP1, because I'll use this Boot for DAW and not the internet, work, graphics, etc...

I'm still open for the good, bad and ugly on SP2 though.

Perry...

about dropping MS support:

When I got the updates for XP it loaded the WGA, and some little nag thing showed up in the Tray area and it came up with a message that said (not sure of exact words, I removed WGA) On Oct 10, 2006, MS will be stopping support for SP1, Do you want to install SP2 now?"

For those who want to get rid of the WGA (even though M$ has some instructions on their site, I don't like the fact they "force" WGA on you, Force meaning you can't get other updates untiul that one is loaded) There's a little app called RemoveWGA.exe from http://www.firewallleaktester.com/removewga.htm

Thanx
DamonD

Bruce Callaway
07-08-2006, 11:55 PM
Thanks, WGA removed from my laptop. I dont update my DAW as per the Bob and Perry's comments on SP1. Now that you mention it, I am sure the WGA has slowed down the boot time since loading.

Perry
07-09-2006, 01:41 AM
Hi.

Thanx for the replys. I'll keep SP1 and when the update site forces SP2 on me, I'll get it then. I always turn off AutoUpdate and get them manually. I should be safe w/SP1, because I'll use this Boot for DAW and not the internet, work, graphics, etc...

I'm still open for the good, bad and ugly on SP2 though.

Perry...

about dropping MS support:

When I got the updates for XP it loaded the WGA, and some little nag thing showed up in the Tray area and it came up with a message that said (not sure of exact words, I removed WGA) On Oct 10, 2006, MS will be stopping support for SP1, Do you want to install SP2 now?"

For those who want to get rid of the WGA (even though M$ has some instructions on their site, I don't like the fact they "force" WGA on you, Force meaning you can't get other updates untiul that one is loaded) There's a little app called RemoveWGA.exe from http://www.firewallleaktester.com/removewga.htm

Thanx
DamonD

:eek: Well... not surprising. But certainly a drag! FWIW, I could see this coming long ago (and said so!) and I've always known that once the gates :rolleyes: were opened with the MS plans to "protect their property" it was just going to get worse for us. Unfortunately the time to have curbed this is likely long past.

So... we just have to do the best we can! From what I read this whole business of digital 'rights' is only just getting started really.

At any rate... thanks for that link! I'll grab that one! :)

All the best,

Perry

Pedro Itriago
07-09-2006, 01:58 AM
:eek: Well... not surprising. But certainly a drag! FWIW, I could see this coming long ago (and said so!) and I've always known that once the gates :rolleyes: were opened with the MS plans to "protect their property" it was just going to get worse for us. Unfortunately the time to have curbed this is likely long past.

So... we just have to do the best we can! From what I read this whole business of digital 'rights' is only just getting started really.

At any rate... thanks for that link! I'll grab that one! :)

All the best,

Perry

Don't worry, now you can choose to run macos on pc to avoid all this MS protections nonsense...oops! too late, they've started with this thing too

Perry
07-09-2006, 03:37 PM
Don't worry, now you can choose to run macos on pc to avoid all this MS protections nonsense...oops! too late, they've started with this thing too

It' a conspiracy!!! (for sure) :mad:

Brother... stuff I read about in computer magazines... the Digital Rights stuff that we're going to have to be dealing with everyday... :( :mad: :mad: :eek:

Well... best to keep smiling and doing our best to outwit them and simply... ummm... prosper regardless! Yeah.. that's it. :)

Perry

DamonD
07-09-2006, 04:08 PM
I don't have any problem paying for licencing, etc... it costs $$$ and time to create great software, and companies have a right to protect their IP.

I don't agree with software installing itself, highjacking your/my computer or loading software w/o full disclosure of what it is, which WGA was. M$ acknlowdged, only AFTER it was found out by others, that WGA "calls home" every time the system is restarted and on a particilar interval of time. M$ comment was "it was an oversight on out part not to disclose this" That is not what I want to pay for.

As for Vista> I purchased XP Pro a couple of times for my home-built-PC's and the computers are capable of handling the OS and might not be powerful enough for Vista. I'd like XP to stay around w/o being "forced" to upgrade.

DamonD

Perry
07-09-2006, 04:35 PM
I don't have any problem paying for licencing, etc... it costs $$$ and time to create great software, and companies have a right to protect their IP.

I don't agree with software installing itself, highjacking your/my computer or loading software w/o full disclosure of what it is, which WGA was. M$ acknlowdged, only AFTER it was found out by others, that WGA "calls home" every time the system is restarted and on a particilar interval of time. M$ comment was "it was an oversight on out part not to disclose this" That is not what I want to pay for.

As for Vista> I purchased XP Pro a couple of times for my home-built-PC's and the computers are capable of handling the OS and might not be powerful enough for Vista. I'd like XP to stay around w/o being "forced" to upgrade.

DamonD

Yeah.. I agree with the things you've said here and definitely I don't mind paying for software... I sure spend enough doing it! ;)

But yeah.. on the WGA matter... MS got caught with their pants down... "oversight" indeed! :eek:

Personally, I've never trusted that they weren't doing this sort of thing and it's not suprising to hear about it. I don't want to take the time to look it up, but I'm sure there were instances earlier of similar things from even quite a while back that I've heard of. I never assume that things in this area are as they appear.. or as they are presented.. and if a MS OS computer is connected to the internet... I think it's much safer to assume that it *IS* "calling home" than to do otherwise.

Again, from what I've been reading, and from what is eveidently happening... this will continue. Big Brother IS watching! Count on it. And with the increases in technology so increases "their" ability to do this. To think that these companies (like MS) won't avail themselves of this is rather foolhardy, IMO. :(

Quite a few instances of stuff installing "secretly" on to people's computers lately... and that's just the ones that have been discovered! And... absolutely no doubt... there will be more.

But hey... we just keep pushing back and disagreeig with it as best we can. :)

I've got enough copies of XP now that'd I'd have to stop and think about it to say how many really... including at least one "retired" copy.

We'll be able to hang on to XP I figure for probably quite a while... but I have no illusions that this can last indefinitely. It won't. Too many developers are ready to jump on board the latest MS bandwagon.. whatever it is. MS dictates what will be what and there's honestly not a lot of choice until enough people decide to change this situation.

I don't know where this will take us of course... we'll have to see. And I've simply stopped (more or less) worrying about it... though I can never stop being aware of the fact. This is the reality of the situation.

I only can hope for the best... and I do! Beyond that we can only try to create something that is worthwhile. Ummm... "out create" the bad with good if you will.. the only thing to do it seems! :)

All the best,

perry

Mountain Media
07-11-2006, 04:36 AM
Again, from what I've been reading, and from what is eveidently happening... this will continue. Big Brother IS watching! Count on it. And with the increases in technology so increases "their" ability to do this. To think that these companies (like MS) won't avail themselves of this is rather foolhardy, IMO. :( perry

So true, Perry!! What a 'comment' on the world community - paranoia raging within the developers and theft raging within the users!! Sad comment on people, that there IS such a huge 'Big Brother' syndrome - and that it CAN, so often, be supported as necessary by so much pirating!!

As you say, Perry, 'Well... best to keep smiling and doing our best to outwit them and simply... ummm... prosper regardless! Yeah.. that's it. :) ' - good advice!!

God bless us, everyone -- Peace!!

sebastiandybing
07-11-2006, 05:12 AM
Hi DamonD

The only real problem I know of and have seen in action.
is that in SP2 the firewire will run 4 times slower than in SP1.

Microsoft has made a firewire fix to cure the problem,
I did find the link through www.rme-audio.com (http://www.rme-audio.com).

If you can´t find the fix, then mail me and I will send it to you,
it is nice to have if the big boy MS force you to update:) .

Sebastian

Mark Stebbeds
07-11-2006, 11:15 AM
The only real problem I know of and have seen in action.
is that in SP2 the firewire will run 4 times slower than in SP1.

To be clear, this is only in the case of FW 800, not standard FW 400.

Mark

sebastiandybing
07-12-2006, 01:23 AM
Hi Mark

It is very present with firewire400, I don´t have any firewire800
to test.

When you run the FirewireFix.exe file it will tell you if your OS have the
problem or not.

Sebastian

Mark Stebbeds
07-12-2006, 09:54 AM
Hi Mark

It is very present with firewire400, I don***180;t have any firewire800
to test.

When you run the FirewireFix.exe file it will tell you if your OS have the
problem or not.

There is no indication of any problems with FW400 on the RME site that I can find....nor can I find any indication on the MS site.

I cannot find a link to anything called "firewirefix.exe".

Could you please post a link to where you are getting this information?

Mark

EDIT: OK, I found something. I guess I was not up to speed because I'm still hanging at XP SP1. I would still like to know about any "test" available to determine if the problem exists.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222

read first!!

sebastiandybing
07-12-2006, 02:25 PM
Hi Mark

Here is the link I have saved with my firewirefix file, hope it still
works http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=ca0f2007-18b5-4112-8bd6-8bf4bd3130b9&displaylang=en

Sebastian

sebastiandybing
07-12-2006, 02:36 PM
The problem do exist, a friend called me to tell how desapointed he was
with his new fireface800, there was drop out and the hole thing seems unstable.
I mailed him a firewirefix;) ....and.....the next call was much more possitive.

The trouble is that the firewire runs like firewire 100, that means the HD will
transfere the data with about 7-8 mb per sec instead of normally 30 p. sec.

Sebastian