PDA

View Full Version : ver curious!

kaliwild
07-09-2006, 10:34 PM
Greetings to all! I am an audio enthusiast who stumbled onto the saw website about a week ago. I am also new to forums ad i hope I am doing this right. I have been reading the posts of in the forum and I am very curious about the program. Just a few questions if you will. In the demo video Bob said he was using a laptop!! If so what kind? Is it some kind of super laptop? I ask because I am financially challenged and would like to know if my standard sony vaio pcg-k33 3ghz processor and 512 ram could efficiently run the program. I have a mbox that did not do well with my laptop. I don't know but after like three tracks or so I would get time out messages and stuff. I don't know why that was. Anyway. If my laptop could run a beautiful program like SAW it would restore hope for me. I work at home mainly recording myself and sometimes my friends. I tend to do alot of hip hop stuff but sooner or later I want to do live instruments. I have a poor man setup for sure. I use my laptop to run cubase le. My audio interface is a tascam us-122. I have an external usb hard drive with 120gb. I use a shure dynamic mic for vocals for which never get a strong enough signal through my tascam. I know I am rambling but please bare with me. If convinced, and I am almost there already I am willing to purchase my hard earned money for SAWlite. If someone out there was willing to help a newbie like me make a very big decision I would appreciate it. If this is to long for this kind of medium I apologize. I am in a desparate state. I want to have one program and stay with it forever. thank you in advance.:)

AudioAstronomer
07-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Your laptop is MORE than enough. You could easily do what bob was doing and more with some decent HDD's.

You sound like you're all ready to go, everything you have I have used in saw (actually at the same time, sony viao w/us-122 external HDD and an sm57)...

You're certainly ready to go, go download the demo and play with it for a while. Ask lots of questions too! :D

kaliwild
07-09-2006, 11:06 PM
Wow thanks for the quick reponse!! I appreciate that alot. I will try the demo!! This might be what I am looking for!!:)

Bob L
07-10-2006, 12:48 AM
The laptop I used in the video demos is only a 1 ghz ProStar machine with 512 megs of ram.

You should have plenty of power with your Sony... you may want to read my XP tweaks document in the misc download section of the site.

Good Luck,

Bob L

Pedro Itriago
07-10-2006, 04:02 AM
I always read posts like this in other forums of people praying for the day they could use cubase (or most any other program for that matter) on their laptops for live recording. They go throwing their arms about this.

Then, most all of them end the thread saying that DAW's are not there yet. I used to tell them they could do it with SS, but it's like talking to a wall. This goes to show you that not wanting to see is worse than being blind.

sebastiandybing
07-10-2006, 06:12 AM
Hi Kaliwild

I did my first live recording with saw32 on a 160 mhz pentium comp with
a D+audio card (can´t remember the name), only stereo in 1997,
In 1998 or 1999 I got a 300 mhz and my first Sydec Mixtream Card, with that
system I made 16 track recordings without ever loosing a single recording.

Today I am recording video and audio on a Sony Vaio PCG-GRT816S (P4 2.8 ghz with 512 m ram using), RME digiface for audio and a Sony DSR45P dvcam for composit to firewire conversion + video backup if something should happen.

If you are going to use a lot of VSTi instruments you will run into CPU problems sooner or later and 512 mb ram will with some samples be in the
low end.

Another thing is to check your HD speed by using Bob´s HDspeed test
program on the Sawstudio web site, the Sony build in HD should give around
25 mb per sec. and your USB2 HD should run at about 29 mb per sec.
If you are using any firewire divices and you are using WinXP SP2 then make
sure to run Microsofts FirewireFix program, it solve the mess they have done
in there Servicepack2.
Or do what I did, go and get W2000 and SP4, and make sure Sony still has
the motherbord driver availeble for your laptop.

Sebastian

Microstudio
07-10-2006, 06:39 AM
Greetings to all! I am an audio enthusiast who stumbled onto the saw website about a week ago. I am also new to forums ad i hope I am doing this right. I have been reading the posts of in the forum and I am very curious about the program. Just a few questions if you will. In the demo video Bob said he was using a laptop!! If so what kind? Is it some kind of super laptop? I ask because I am financially challenged and would like to know if my standard sony vaio pcg-k33 3ghz processor and 512 ram could efficiently run the program. I have a mbox that did not do well with my laptop. I don't know but after like three tracks or so I would get time out messages and stuff. I don't know why that was. Anyway. If my laptop could run a beautiful program like SAW it would restore hope for me. I work at home mainly recording myself and sometimes my friends. I tend to do alot of hip hop stuff but sooner or later I want to do live instruments. I have a poor man setup for sure. I use my laptop to run cubase le. My audio interface is a tascam us-122. I have an external usb hard drive with 120gb. I use a shure dynamic mic for vocals for which never get a strong enough signal through my tascam. I know I am rambling but please bare with me. If convinced, and I am almost there already I am willing to purchase my hard earned money for SAWlite. If someone out there was willing to help a newbie like me make a very big decision I would appreciate it. If this is to long for this kind of medium I apologize. I am in a desparate state. I want to have one program and stay with it forever. thank you in advance.:)

Saw will fly on your PC. As for your low levels you might want ot get a Mic Pre Amp. There are many that will help you out for under 100.00 Click Here to see some of them (http://www.zzounds.com/cat--2891).

The way you record is about to change....

Bill Park
07-10-2006, 06:58 AM
.... I have a mbox that did not do well with my laptop. I don't know but after like three tracks or so I would get time out messages and stuff. ....

You have to find out how to set a system up for recording... there are always a boatload of services and programs running in the background that take away CPU cycles and demand attention, leaving less for the audio applications.

Bill

mghtx
07-10-2006, 11:14 AM
audio interface is a tascam us-122.

I had some trouble with this interface......but not just with SAW. However, I haven't done all the tweaks Bob talks about. Others have not had any trouble at all so.......

Welcome. :)

jeromee
07-10-2006, 11:24 AM
Welcome!!
I am running on a P4 3g 7200rpm HD with 512mg ram Dell laptop,mAudio FW1814 and have a behringer ada8000 hooked to the mAudio. Saw has never let me down!!! It has been by far the most stable app I have ever used, no hangups,stutters or shutdowns. I run this config continuously every wednesday night for 5-6 hours, recording my band.
Good luck with the decisions you make!
J

UpTilDawn
07-10-2006, 03:59 PM
Welcome.
I have been using a PIV/2.4G with 7,200rpm ide drives and 1 gig of ram to record 24-28 tracks with not so much as a whimper... lately, 32 tracks has caused a bit of a slowdown, but nothing drastic yet. I also use a PIV/2G with 1.5 gig of ram daily to edit and mix upwards of 35 tracks with no issues. But, then, neither of these are laptops... but solid as a rock anyway.

If possible, get a hold of as much ram as your system can handle. It will go a long way for you.

Good luck and glad to see you're excited about Saw.

DanT

kaliwild
07-10-2006, 07:36 PM
thank you for the support! just because of the people in this forum willing to help is inspiration enough for me. as soon as i can i am going to get SAW. right now i am doing the figure things out before i read anything technique with the demo. i got a underrun message when i hit rec ready by accident. i don't even know what record ready is yet. i am going to the online tutorial to see right now. read you soon!:)

Neal Starrett
07-10-2006, 08:55 PM
I ran SSB on a K6-500mhz, and 384MB ram when I first started. Amazingly, it ran ok. I found this picture of Pedro inside the box so I figured it was a smokin unit.:D
http://www.freewebs.com/starrettmusic/bhs%5F40%5Flady%5Fwaving%5Fweb.jpg

studio-c
07-10-2006, 09:07 PM
Welcome Kaliwild!
I think you're gonna love it. I've tried it on some really nasty laptops. I would have prayed for a Vaio :)
And as you can see, the folks here are really great. Ask away...

Have fun!

Scott

kaliwild
07-12-2006, 10:29 AM
Thanks to all and I will be asking alot of questions believe me! Until next time keep rockin!!:)