View Full Version : OT: Pink Floyd founder Sid Barret passes away

Mark Stebbeds
07-11-2006, 12:39 PM
http://apnews.excite.com/article/20060711/D8IPU7O80.html

RIP Sid....Shine On You Crazy Diamond

Mark

Dave Labrecque
07-11-2006, 12:51 PM
Very sad. But I guess none of us are getting any younger, eh?

Even as out-of-sight as he's been for the last few decades, he will be missed.

Rest in Peace, Syd. It's about time.

johndale
07-11-2006, 04:37 PM
RIP Syd........
John

Carey Langille
07-11-2006, 05:51 PM
All that you touch
All that you see
All that you taste
All you feel.
All that you love
All that you hate
All you distrust
All you save.
All that you give
All that you deal
All that you buy,
beg, borrow or steal.
All you create
All you destroy
All that you do
All that you say.
All that you eat
And everyone you meet
All that you slight
And everyone you fight.
All that is now
All that is gone
All that's to come
and everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

RIP:(

Leadfoot
07-11-2006, 08:38 PM
All that you touch
All that you see
All that you taste
All you feel.
All that you love
All that you hate
All you distrust
All you save.
All that you give
All that you deal
All that you buy,
beg, borrow or steal.
All you create
All you destroy
All that you do
All that you say.
All that you eat
And everyone you meet
All that you slight
And everyone you fight.
All that is now
All that is gone
All that's to come
and everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

RIP:(

great stuff no doubt carey. i hate it when mortality slaps us in the face.
those words almost seem cliche when you read them, but floyd had such a way with the delivery.. quite magical. i recently did sound for a pink floyd tribute band, never having heard them before i thought, pretty tough stuff to try and pull off, but they were great and it was such a pleasure to work with them, hearing all these great sounds eminating through the system. i'm not easily impressed and i got chills several times throughout the show. (not because i was cold).. anyhow, it's sad to see that these people who i grew up listening to are little by little starting to die off. for some weird reason, i still don't want to believe that there's only two beatles left.. i just won't accept that. but that's just me i guess..

tony

TotalSonic
07-11-2006, 09:21 PM
Not to be a stickler - but the words and music to Breathe aren't by Syd at all - he had nothing to do with that tune.

Here's one of my PF favorites that he did in fact write - a nice tidbit of genius cynicism pulling at the bell bottomed trouser leg of proto-psychedelia:

I've got a bike. you can ride it if you like.
It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
Things to make it look good.
I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
You're the kind of girl that fits in with my world.
I'll give you anything, evrything if you want things.
I've got a cloak. it's a bit of a joke.
There's a tear up the front. it's red and black.
I've had it for months.
If you think it could look good, then I guess it should.
Youre the kind of girl that fits in with my world.
I know a mouse, and he hasn't got a house.
I dont know why. I call him gerald.
Hes getting rather old, but he's a good mouse.
I've got a clan of gingerbread men.
Here a man, there a man, lots of gingerbread men.
Take a couple if you wish. they're on the dish.
I know a room of musical tunes.
Some rhyme, some ching. most of them are clockwork.
Let's go into the other room and make them work.

Sorry Syd, that things didn't work out as nicely as I think they should have for someone who was such a creative innovator. Hope you're getting some serious psychedelic jams going with Jimi & Sun Ra right now.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Demodave
07-11-2006, 11:18 PM
RIP Syd.

I wrote and posted an article about Syd to an online magazine I regularly contribute to. Take a look. I hope you enjoy the read.

http://www.turtleturd.com

Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

Perry
07-12-2006, 12:21 AM
RIP Syd.

I wrote and posted an article about Syd to an online magazine I regularly contribute to. Take a look. I hope you enjoy the read.

http://www.turtleturd.com

Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

Thanks for the story Demodave. I enjoyed it. I was a huge fan.. from way back. If they haven't melted from the heat I have the 2 solo albums in my old house in Mississippi... which no one lives in.

And I first heard Syd Barrett's Pink Floyd record "Pipers at the Gates of Dawn" and "Saucerful of Secrets" a long, long time ago when somone from "up North" (New Jersey) visited my home town and came to a dance we were playing. Must of been 1968. Saucerful of Secrets would have been new... though actually by "Sauceful of Secrets" Syd was mostly "not there". I've read that there was another Syd Barrett song that was recorded for that record but it wasn't used because the others thought it was far too dark. The title was I think "Vegetable Man".

At any rate... We took a break and this hippie looking guy came up and asked if we'd want to take a little trip later and hear some cool music. We did and I don't think I was ever quite the same after that. The music.. well.. blew my mind!

I had all of the early Pink Floyd records as they came out... "More", "Ummagumma", "Atom Heart Mother", "Meddle", "Obscured by Clouds" .... back when they were still basically considered somewhat fo an 'underground' band. I got Syd's solo records in the import section as they came out too... I think there was a thrid solo record eventully released??? But I know I don't have that one. I don't remember exactly now.. I know David Gilmore produced at least one of those.. but both I think.

I used to read up on Syd any time there was news. A few times over the years Rolling Stone would report on Syd sightings... and once there was a bit of an interview of sorts. Hadn't heard anything in a long, long time though.. although I met a guy several years back.. here in Vancouver... who had worked with the band as a roadie during the early days in England with Syd in the band. He said that it got to where Syd might just stand on stage... out there "somewhere"... and never play... or maybe hit one note and just sail off on it. So they had to let him go..

When Floyd hit it BIG with "Dark Side of the Money" :rolleyes: .. (and had a hit single for goodness sakes!) We had mixed feelings about it initially... my friends and I... AS cool as Dark Side was, we knew in a way that it was over... at least what it had been. And then there were the disagreements and the lawsuits and such. At that point for me the magic was over.. the illusion was shattered. It got too big I guess... once Syd was gone. I hate when that happens with bands that I loved.

Yeah... sad that Syd's gone, very sad. I hope he finds something that gives him new reasons to exist.. wherever he is now. And I know he's "somewhere".. out there.

All the best,

perry

Bruce Callaway
07-12-2006, 02:57 AM
Having just seen a good documentary on Syd Barrett, his death hits home. He certainly was a genius and it still comes across to me when I hear his songs and recordings. It's like Syd is talking directly to you when you hear recordings, a rare skill. "See Emily Play" is about at brilliant a song/recording as you can get and it was a throwaway pop song from Syd.

It's interesting to me that his guitar playing was also brilliant for the times. He was way ahead of the pack. His riffs and sounds spawned a myriad of imitations. I can recall learning to play by endlessly jamming on Floyds riffs, many of which were from Syd.

I also recall my high school years in the country where we would seek out new music and albums and the early Floyd albums were right up there. His is a tragic story and a warning not to take drugs as too much acid certainly did Syd no good at all.

Microstudio
07-12-2006, 04:42 AM
Sid lived a good life, his way......

http://www.well.com/user/sid/music/syd1.jpg

Shine on you crazy diamond....

Mark Stebbeds
07-12-2006, 10:21 AM
Not to be a stickler - but the words and music to Breathe aren't by Syd at all - he had nothing to do with that tune.

Not to be a stickler - but Cary's offering are the words to "Eclipse" from DSOTM, if that's what you were referring to.:)

The album "Wish You Were Here", recorded long after Syd left the band, was a tribute of sorts to Syd.

http://www.pinkfloydonline.com/lyrics/wywh.html

Many of the songs on all of their albums seemed to be about lost souls.

Mark

Pedro Itriago
07-12-2006, 11:14 AM
Not to be a stickler - but Cary's offering are the words to "Eclipse" from DSOTM, if that's what you were referring to.:)

The album "Wish You Were Here", recorded long after Syd left the band, was a tribute of sorts to Syd.

Mark

Although it's good to point that the album's title (wish you were here) was penned not only for the title track, but also because that's what they were saying while recording the album because they were not together in the studio for the recording sessions.

I didn't grew up hearing Sid's songs, but I heard a lot about him and found very inspiring that Gilmour was his childhood frind and that why he was called to get into the Floyd. God bless his soul.

BTW, Who's Pink?

TotalSonic
07-12-2006, 11:51 AM

oops - you're right! Mea culpa.

Anyway - Syd, besides being an amazingly innovative guitarist and songwriter, also provides a nice cautionary tale against doing gigantically massive amounts of psychedelics, as it seems this definitely led to a lot of his withdrawal from society - and while it may have contributed to some of his initial creative direction, one can only wonder what cool stuff he might have been able to create if he had been able to continue making music after 1970.

His early death is also a reminder that we have yet to conquer the scourge of diabetes, which is just as prevalent now as it ever was.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Mark Stebbeds
07-12-2006, 12:47 PM
His early death is also a reminder that we have yet to conquer the scourge of diabetes, which is just as prevalent now as it ever was.

Yeah, my dad passed away about 13 years ago from complications resulting from diabetes, so I'm familiar with the scourage.

Unfortunately, the medical profession seems to be adamant on selling drug treatment, while benefits of proper diet go unnoticed and unpromoted.

Friends have weened themselves off of insulin with a low carb and low fat diet and simple excercise regimen. In many cases, studies have shown the results are dramatic.

Mark

jeromee
07-12-2006, 12:59 PM
BTW, Who's Pink?

Pink Anderson/Floyd Council

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_Council

Pedro Itriago
07-12-2006, 01:07 PM
Pink Anderson/Floyd Council

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_Council

Darn it, I wrote it wrong. It should've read "BTW, which one's Pink"

Dave Labrecque
07-12-2006, 04:31 PM

Well... aren't we all... to one degree or another?

Carey Langille
07-12-2006, 05:16 PM
[quote=TotalSonic]Not to be a stickler - but the words and music to Breathe aren't by Syd at all - he had nothing to do with that tune.

These are the words to Eclipse, Not Breathe and No Syd did not write them, never suggested he wrote Eclipse or anythng else on Darkside, since he had been already gone for quite a few years at that point, but much of the thought in them was about the changes he went through in the band, our mortality , and our unfortuante or Fortunate futures....:rolleyes:

TotalSonic
07-12-2006, 05:56 PM

These are the words to Eclipse, Not Breathe and No Syd did not write them, never suggested he wrote Eclipse or anythng else on Darkside, since he had been already gone for quite a few years at that point, but much of the thought in them was about the changes he went through in the band, our mortality , and our unfortuante or Fortunate futures....:rolleyes:

No problem... just didn't know whether Syd's role in PF was being confused or not. A lot of people know PF from just the DSOTM and The Wall eras, but to me "Piper" definitely has a completely different sound - and also lyrical outlook (i.e. they seemed to have a lot more playful humor underlying the abstractions than they did after Waters & Gilmour took over the writing, and musicially they seemed much more loose, "garagey", and spontaneous, almost carnival like in fact, than the more pre-meditated arena extremely exacting productions they would create later).

Anyway - a nice video of Syd & the Floyd playing Astronomy Domine is at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG4d3dZN_to&search=syd%20barrett

Best regards,
Steve Berson

mghtx
07-13-2006, 07:51 AM
Unfortunately, the medical profession seems to be adamant on selling drug treatment, while benefits of proper diet go unnoticed and unpromoted.

Absolutely. (Do you think they really want a cure for cancer?) OK, enough. :)

"Astronomy Domine" is awesome. LOVE that song. It's too bad Syd had a bad trip that wouldn't go away. Until now. Peace.

studio-c
07-15-2006, 10:49 PM

Mark

...i've always been mad...

dhise
07-16-2006, 07:23 AM
Another Sid video for you all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uauvKDZ33Rs

-Doug

John Hernandez
07-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Well... aren't we all... to one degree or another?Thank God I'm not (a lost soul, that is)!

Dave Labrecque
07-16-2006, 10:03 PM
Thank God I'm not (a lost soul, that is)!

Then what the heck are you doing among us? You deserve better! :)