PDA

View Full Version : Tranzport and Saw

mikebuzz
07-15-2006, 06:43 PM
Ok so tracking myself today ( I want to re-iterate the fact that the footswitch should be a PUNCH IN function !!!) I got pretty frusterated , !!!! using the punch in/out with Saw is ???able , if you set the beginning using the in button on the Tranzport you HAVE TO use the out button on the Tranzport or it will reset the punch point to your starting position pre punchin point ? but not record ( at least ).

You can either set the In/Out with Saw or the Tranzport NOT both ! , also if Saw is in Rec/rdy mode you cannot use the Tranzport to set In/Out markers it won't work. you have to be in normal play mode. So you cannot start using the Tranzport to set In/Out points.

This operation really is kind of , well not very intuitive to me at least! I would LOVE to have a foot sw. punch in function Hell send me the file I'll figure it out myself if possible ????? Not really but as someone who HAS to record many times by myself this would be fantastic.

Ok it's off my chest

LAter
Buzz

soundtrack2life
07-15-2006, 09:22 PM
Last night when I was in the studio I thougt of something else that would be nice feature. It would be cool if SAW could see 2 midi control devices. ie: transport & my DA7 (or control surface of choice). This way while I am mixing I could use the Tranzport at the same time.
Joe

Craig Allen
07-15-2006, 10:59 PM
Last night when I was in the studio I thougt of something else that would be nice feature. It would be cool if SAW could see 2 midi control devices. ie: transport & my DA7 (or control surface of choice). This way while I am mixing I could use the Tranzport at the same time.
Joe
Yes, yes, yes! I've have endless uses for this live!

trock
07-16-2006, 05:28 AM
I honestly have to agree with both of these requests. i love the tranzport and use it quite a bit since it is usually just me here. my triton is set up a little ways from my main desk so i set SAW for the tranzport, move over and away i go. but being able to use a foot switch while playing would be huge.

i also have my MCU hooked up at times and it would be nice to have both going at the same time, when i am done with the tranzport i come over and re set up SAW for the MCU if i am going to use it.

i am still very pleased with the maps bob has made, heck i just wish there were more of them :) they DEFwork much better than the other DAW's i have used control surface maps.

Bob L
07-16-2006, 06:04 AM
Buzz... I'm not sure what you are running into that is causing such grief.

I just tried my setup... I think things are pretty easy for me to sit back and record myself.

While in STOP mode... not REC/Rdy... the in/out buttons work correctly, as I see it... you can move the cursor with the scrub wheel... press the In button... move again to the right and push the Out button... you now have a simple marked area... you can also move further right to extend the Out point without having to then go back and reset the In... and vice versa... not sure what you are refferring to about the IN and OUT button... I was also able to set the IN point on the Tranzport and then set the END point in SS... but why would you be doing that anyway... you are suppossed to be in the studio away from SS when you depend on the Tranzport.

As far as recording... it seems simple and useful enough to simply set a marker at your start position in front of the marked punch-in section... then arm the track and get ready with your instrument... simply press the Tranzport Play button and start playing along... the punch will happen at the marked area without you having to do anything else but simply concentrate on your performance... when you are thru the passage, press stop... press the Prev button to jump back to your start point... ready to go again.

If you want it to loop record, now simply press the Loop button while record is armed and it will start loop recording take after take until you stop.

One thing to be careful of is to disarm the record track if you want to hear the playback of your last take... this way, you can leave the marks and simply playback and hear your performance... when ready to do it again, simply re-arm the track by pushing the REC button... push the Prev button to set the cursor to your start position... then press the Play button to go again.

When happy with your punch-in... now start the whole procedure over again further down the timeline for another overdub.

The footswitch will only do one thing... if I set it to act as a REC switch for manual punch-in... it can not start playback... I may have to make up a second template with it preset that way so you can choose which template you would like to use... it seemed more useful to act as the Play switch when I initially designed the template.

Bob L

mikebuzz
07-16-2006, 12:25 PM
Bob I try to set the in/out point on the fly LIve punch in/out points I spelled it out fairly clearly (IMO ) If Saw is in SRP mode you cannot set the points !!
I would LOVE an optional setup I work many times right in front of the setup ( not in another room which would actually make it worse IMO again.

Later
Buzz

PS: I know you have your way of doing things BUT we don't always have the same ideas/techniques

Bob L
07-16-2006, 04:27 PM
If the engine is running in SRP mode, you can't set any points anyway because you can't grab the cursor.

Have you tried my suggestion in the last post? What exactly is wrong with that way of working... it seems to get the job done extremely well.

The trouble with the footswitch is that it can only get things started... it can either start play or SRP but can not exit from those options... so if I make a special template to change the footswitch to push the Record button... it will only punch-in on the fly... there is no way to cause it to toggle to punch-out.... ot to instead just start playback... it is one or the other... I did not feel that was very effective.

Bob L

Bill Park
07-16-2006, 05:18 PM
i also have my MCU hooked up at times ...

How are you doing this? I believe that we can run both at the same time with a MIDI merge, but one being USB and the other being MIDI, I just haven't bothered to check out the available plumbing to make this work.

Bill

trock
07-16-2006, 06:22 PM
Hey bill

well i have the MCU MIDI connected like you said and the tranzport USB, in SAW i just set my MIDI option to tranzport or FIREFACE. then i go to the MIDI device setup and choose the MCU or the tranzport and SAW switches for me. i do wish i could use them both at times but it isn't a big deal and would only be on a "if bob is ever bored one day list"

all in all the 2 work great together with just a quick switch needed in between.

Bob do you have "i am bored time" ever?

MikeDee
07-17-2006, 08:40 AM
If the engine is running in SRP mode, you can't set any points anyway because you can't grab the cursor.

Have you tried my suggestion in the last post? What exactly is wrong with that way of working... it seems to get the job done extremely well.

The trouble with the footswitch is that it can only get things started... it can either start play or SRP but can not exit from those options... so if I make a special template to change the footswitch to push the Record button... it will only punch-in on the fly... there is no way to cause it to toggle to punch-out.... ot to instead just start playback... it is one or the other... I did not feel that was very effective.

Bob L

With all due respect, I am doing quite well with the current SRP footswitch setup...and I hope you will NOT break this functionality.

To each his own, I guess.... :D

Regards,

mikebuzz
07-17-2006, 11:04 AM
If the footswitch can only start but not stop the recording that would'nt work very well !!! you would need to be able to punch out as well IMO . Glad it's working for you Mikee .
Starting Saw with no SRP has to be done with the mouse correct ??? it cant be done using the Tranzport or the space bar ?

LAter
Buzz

PS: Is there a way a midi foot switch or some thing similar could perform this function ( punch in/out) ??? through the control track or ??? MY 2480 has a footwsitch punch in/out connection that might be able to send midi commands !

Bob L
07-17-2006, 11:10 AM
A special template would have to be programmed with some internal code adjustments to the current midi control protocol to allow a punch-in/out footswitch operation.

Not sure what you are looking for concerning the SRP function... the Tranzport play button or footswitch will start normal playback as long as there are no armed record tracks... once the record meters are visible it does SRP playback... which is the same as nomal except record engage is armed and ready to go.

If you are sitting and recording, but then want to simply playback without recording and listen, you can leave all marked areas intact and simply reach over and use the right-click on the mouse to override playback into normal mode... or click the MT play button... the spacebar will start SRP playback.

But if you are listening only anyway... you don't need your hands-free footswitch operation at that time anyway.

Bob L

mikebuzz
07-17-2006, 05:53 PM
When you want to set IN/OUT points you can't be in SRP mode Correct which means to get out of it ( once you are in it by starting your first take ,then if you want to set points ) you have to use the mouse !!
later
Buzz

Bob L
07-17-2006, 08:46 PM
Correct... you would set the in/out points before you start playback... then position the cursor a little in front of the marked section and then you can use the footswitch with your hands on your guitar... the punch will happen in the marked section... then you stop.

I am looking into a second template for you with the footswitch assigned to the REC function... but I still have issues to figure out in order to allow it to toggle the RECORD ON and OFF.

Bob L

mikebuzz
07-17-2006, 10:20 PM
Thank you BOB !!!!

LAter
Buzz

PS: no where else would you get this kind of response IMO

:D

MikeDee
07-17-2006, 10:21 PM
Correct... you would set the in/out points before you start playback... then position the cursor a little in front of the marked section and then you can use the footswitch with your hands on your guitar... th punch will happen in the marked section... then you stop.

I am looking into a second template for you with the footswitch assigned to the REC function... but I still have issues to figure out in order to allow it to toggle the RECORD ON and OFF.

Bob L

Hey, Bob...y'know, if you get it working, then you might apply the stop algorithm to your original (current) template, which would allow the SRP to stop as well.

Not a big deal in my case...it would simply be a "convenience" to be able to toggle (both start and stop with) the footpedal. I'm already in my glory to be able to SRP and Shift+SRP remotely with the TranzPort! :)

Either way, U R da MaX Man!!