PDA

View Full Version : 1394 Connection / 1394 Net Adapter

MikeDee
07-17-2006, 05:48 PM
Greetings, All -

I have not seen any reference made to either a 1394 Connection or a 1394 Net Adapter indicated in any WinXP tweak documentation I've come across. I did some Googling, and it appears that the 1394 Connection in Network Connections can be disabled. (Actually, because I have the Adaptec FireWire PCMCIA card installed in addition to the built-in FW port, I have two 1394 Connections listed.)

Has anyone on our Forum disabled this connection? I'm using the RJ-45 Ethernet connection for my networking; therefore, I have no use for the 1394 Connections. However, I am concerned that disabling them might cause issues with my FW connections to my hard drives and DVD recorder.

Additionally, in the Device Manager, I have two 1394 Net Adapters listed. I was looking to disable (probably no need to uninstall) these two devices. Again, is this likely to cause FW issues?

Of course, I could just go ahead and...<gasp!>...TRY it. :eek: But it's nice to learn from one or more SAWyers' experiences before I decide to be a loose cannon and blow up things. :D

XP is so bloated, much slower than 2k...and my laptop's mobo is maxed out at 512 MB RAM. I'm looking to squeeze every last drop of performance I can.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Best regards,

sstillwell
07-17-2006, 06:03 PM
I always disable it. I don't want Windows trying to send DHCP requests or ARP packets or something silly like that down the wire.

Regards,

Scott Stillwell

MikeDee
07-17-2006, 06:06 PM
Thanks, Scott! :)

Right, the idea is to avoid adding any kludge to the FW stream, as well as save resources.

That's one for Brother Kramden! :cool:

Bob L
07-17-2006, 08:43 PM
I also always disable it... I just use the RJ-45 network connection.

Bob L

MikeDee
07-17-2006, 10:02 PM
Thanks to you, too, Bob.

Two for Brother Kramden!! :cool: :cool:

Q: Do you disable it in Network Connections only? Or do you disable it in the Device Manager as well?

Update: Ok, I sort of answered my own Q...I decided to disable it in both places. All appears well on this machine (my daughter's HP Pavilion -- nice to have a "testbed" <hee hee>)...onto my production box!

Three for Brother Kramden!!! (It's a landslide!) :cool: :cool: :cool:

Bob L
07-17-2006, 10:33 PM
I leave the firewire enabled in the Device Manager so I can use it with video... I just don't want it attached to my network.

Bob L

MikeDee
07-18-2006, 05:43 AM
Sorry, Bob. I was not clear re: Device Manager.

Under IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers, both of my OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controllers remain ENABLED.

Under Network adapters, I have DISABLED the 1394 Net Adapters. (I have DISABLED the 1394 Net Adapters in Network Connections as well.)

Unless I'm mistaken, the above should not cause any issues with my video (or my FW HDs and DVDR).

Have I overlooked something? If so, please advise...much appreciated.

Carl G.
07-18-2006, 08:37 AM
Sorry, Bob. I was not clear re: Device Manager.

Under IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers, both of my OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controllers remain ENABLED.

Under Network adapters, I have DISABLED the 1394 Net Adapters. (I have DISABLED the 1394 Net Adapters in Network Connections as well.)

Unless I'm mistaken, the above should not cause any issues with my video (or my FW HDs and DVDR).

Have I overlooked something? If so, please advise...much appreciated.
How do you do that?
When I Enable 1394 Network adapters (via device mgr) it automatically re-enables the formerly disabled 1394 Network connections.

(I'm in same boat as you - two 1394 Net Adapters which are occassionally used for video).

MMP
07-18-2006, 08:52 AM
I disable the FW network most of the time, but it is very handy for dumping audio files from my laptop to my desktop after remote gigs.

Regards,

MM

MikeDee
07-18-2006, 10:27 AM
Oh, ok, I see, Mike and Carl. You connect (network) to another machine via the 1394 Net Adapter (which is faster than the RJ-45 Ethernet)...so it would then be enabled...makes sense.

I have two FW drives connected to my laptop, one directly to the built-in "iLink" (FW/1394) port, the other via the Adaptec Cardbus FW card...they are not networked...so I can disable the 1394 Net Adapter in both Network Connections and Device Manager. (As mentioned previously, in Device Manager, under IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers, both of my OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controllers remain enabled, which is how my laptop communicates with my FW HDs and DVDR.)

In fact, before I start working on my audio (or video)...knowing I will not need to network at all...I disable the DHCP, DNS, Network Connections, and Network Location Awareness (NLA) services, as well as antivirus, firewall, and automatic updates, among others. Therefore, it makes sense for me to disable the 1394 Net Adapter as mentioned above.

One for Brother McGillicudy.... [Luv da 'Mooners, obviously] ;)

Regards,