PDA

View Full Version : Buffer settings

Burkeville
07-20-2006, 04:36 PM
Hi,

I have a question about the buffer settings and buffer size in the hardware set up of SAWStudio.

I was playing around with them and didn't notice much of a difference. This is on a new machine that Perry Barrett from Darkhorse built for me that is VERY fast.

What do these settings mean really? Are they that important any more with such fast machines?

Thank you in advance.

kb

Bob L
07-20-2006, 04:58 PM
They are real imporatnt if you are wanting live mode latency for virtual console monitoring during recording or if you are perfromaning live thru VST synth modules... then you will need low settings like 2 x 64 or 3 x 64 or 128....

If you are monitoring from hardware thru a physical mixer split... then you can set them at 4 x 1024 and forget about it.

Patch something up live... like a microphone... set an input channel source assignment to the device in where the mic is plugged... and the enter Live Mode (press L)... now talk on the mic and listen to the amount of latency delay... you will then get a feel for what the settings do as you change from 4 x 1024 to 4 x 64... if your system can handle it...

Be careful... with RME cards and others, you must set the driver to a buffer size that is equal or smaller than the buffer size set in SS... otherwise your sound WILL glitch and stutter.

Bob L

cgrafx
07-20-2006, 05:52 PM
They are real imporatnt if you are wanting live mode latency for virtual console monitoring during recording or if you are perfromaning live thru VST synth modules... then you will need low settings like 2 x 64 or 3 x 64 or 128....

If you are monitoring from hardware thru a physical mixer split... then you can set them at 4 x 1024 and forget about it.

Patch something up live... like a microphone... set an input channel source assignment to the device in where the mic is plugged... and the enter Live Mode (press L)... now talk on the mic and listen to the amount of latency delay... you will then get a feel for what the settings do as you change from 4 x 1024 to 4 x 64... if your system can handle it...

Be careful... with RME cards and others, you must set the driver to a buffer size that is equal or smaller than the buffer size set in SS... otherwise your sound WILL glitch and stutter.

Bob L

Hi,

I guess I have a related question.

is latency only a line-in issue or put more directly, doesn't latency affect playback as well as monitoring of live signals?

As you add new tracks to a project and are monitoring the existing tracks to play to, won't there be a potencial latency issue for the existing playback tracks as well?

Bob L
07-20-2006, 10:48 PM
No... SS has always compensated the placement of newly recorded regions on the timeline... if it did not... it could never have recorded overdubs until just the last couple of years... because low latency drivers and machine performance did not exist.

The original SAW from 14 years ago could record overdubs in sync. :)

Bob L

Carl G.
07-21-2006, 03:21 PM

Bob L
Bob
Mine has been at
IN: 6 & 512
Out: 8 & 512

For playback, what's the advantage of **8** at 512 (total of 4096)
versus **4** at 1024? (Total of 4096)

Bob L
07-21-2006, 06:39 PM
In some cases larger buffers work better... just depens on the system... there is no latency difference.

Bob L